Boot Loop/Black Screen After Update to Kernel 4.14.25 MGA6

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Boot Loop/Black Screen After Update to Kernel 4.14.25 MGA6

Postby yankee495 » Mar 30th, '18, 06:13

Hello,

My Mageia 6 was running good and I did my updates which included a kernel update from 4.14.13 to 4.14.25. I think those are the right version numbers. It's Mageia 6 with KDE Plasma using the Nvidia proprietary driver, or trying to. It was working fine before the kernel update.

After rebooting on kernel 4.14.25 it said I needed to reboot again because of a new video driver. After rebooting, it keeps doing the same thing, a boot loop. I tried adding nokmsboot with append in boot options like the errata says to do. I can only get into KDE when I boot with kernel 4.14.13, but now I have a black screen and I still do not have the Nvidia proprietary driver installed. It seems like the proprietary driver is not installing and I do not have Nvidia settings in my menu.

I must be missing something and I have a hard time getting in at all. It seems like it just stops or hangs sometimes and waiting doesn't help. I can't tell what's going on because of the black screen. I don't want to mess it up worse than it is because I think it's something simple that I'm not familiar with. I'm booted on a Mageia 5 installation now on a different drive and can edit files on the other drive from here. The Mageia 6 is a stand alone install with grub and everything on a separate drive. I did find info for installing the driver from the Nvidia website but I'd like to use all Mageia packages and drivers so I have not tried that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Re: Boot Loop/Black Screen After Update to Kernel 4.14.25 MG

Postby yankee495 » Mar 30th, '18, 07:11

Ok, this is mostly fixed. It was booted to a command prompt. Entering my user name and password logged me in and booted into KDE.
I have no clue what to do about this black screen problem as this is my first time using Grub 2. While booting pressing ESC doesn't allow me to see what's going on and I never get the Magia boot screen. It just continues with a black screen the whole time. I'd like to change this so if I have a problem I'll be able to see and know what's going on.
Main Desktop
yankee495

Postby morgano » Mar 30th, '18, 09:37

yankee495 wrote:While booting pressing ESC doesn't allow me to see what's going on and I never get the Magia boot screen. It just continues with a black screen the whole time. I'd like to change this so if I have a problem I'll be able to see and know what's going on.

In boot options remove "splash quiet" To edit it just temporarily: when grub shows up select a boot entry and press "e".
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby gohlip » Mar 30th, '18, 14:35

Or just to temporarily (just one time) see the messages, press (keep tapping is better) 'shift' key, not 'esc' key.

But it may be your grub resolution is set wrongly.
At grub prompt, type 'videoinfo'
grub> videoinfo
and set your grub resolution to the resolution (within your monitor ability) that is listed.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Postby wintpe » Apr 11th, '18, 11:00

please also refer to the similar thread above, as this looks so much like the same issue.

any parallels, you can draw to those in the other thread

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12315
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby yankee495 » Apr 11th, '18, 18:58

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions, I'll go have a look.
Main Desktop
yankee495

Postby wintpe » Apr 23rd, '18, 14:24

I posted a look at other thread above, as it was very similar, and in that i stated that i had a black screen on my 32 bit 7300GT based system.
ive just rebuilt it, and because time has gone by , the update took it to the .32 kernel, rather that the .25 raised in this and the other thread.

system is all OK now.

so if we did have a Nvidia/Kernel issue that caused my issue, and some others on older 304 based hardware its definitely been rectified.

i wont mark this thread as closed because i did not open it,, and i cant guarrentee this is also the OP problem.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support