D-Bus error causes KDE to fail to start

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

D-Bus error causes KDE to fail to start

Postby lnxguy » Mar 28th, '18, 00:56

I have been through this with other distros... After a recent update, I cannot start X or KDE/Plasma. it complains about a module not being available and suggests starting "sysctl default" or "sysctl default.xxxxx."

How can I force X to start to an Xterm without all the d-bus nonsense? Must I install another DE/WM? This is getting old...
lnxguy

Re: D-Bus error causes KDE to fail to start

Postby morgano » Mar 28th, '18, 19:42

More exact info please:
Is this Mageia 6?
Can you post a picture of screen?
What updates was made before reboot?
What graphics do it use? (could be a failed nvidia module?)

I have not had such issue for long time, but by routine i still install at least one lighter weight DE too, including another DM. Such as Xfce, LXDE or MATE
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby lnxguy » Mar 28th, '18, 21:17

Howdy,
Yes, Mageia 6. I don't know which change was made that might affect the X11 module or any KDE component.

Here's what i did: I was able to use URPMI from the command line and remove all KDE components and libraries. Slash and burn... I then installed task-xfce and installed all the usual apps for XFCE. The system rebooted into XFCE just fine and I used the Mageia Control Center to add all the previously deleted KDE applications and libraries. That brought me right back to the original condition of No X and Dbus failure causing KDE to fail.

My next plan is to remove DKMS and install the Nvidia driver manually with their script. That has worked in the past.

If that doesn't work, I will start over with my other preferred distribution and back up all my apps and data.

I'll post here after all the smoke clears...

LNXGUY
lnxguy

Postby morgano » Mar 28th, '18, 23:41

lnxguy wrote: The system rebooted into XFCE just fine

And did it use nvidia driver?

lnxguy wrote: and I used the Mageia Control Center to add all the previously deleted KDE applications and libraries. That brought me right back to the original condition of No X and Dbus failure causing KDE to fail.

So just by installing KDE stuff you no longer do not even have a log in menu? Very odd... So you can not select xfce and log into it?

What if you change to another DM (drakdm in text terminal) Something else than SDDM, which have a history of oddities...

And/or remove all KDE stuff again, and just install task-plasma-minimal?

lnxguy wrote: My next plan is to remove DKMS and install the Nvidia driver manually with their script.

Could you try first to change to nouveau driver instead of Nvidia proprietary? (drakx11 in text terminal)

lnxguy wrote: That has worked in the past.

If nvidias script works, but not Mageia dkms, please file a bug so we can get it sorted properly.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby lnxguy » Mar 29th, '18, 00:29

I was forced to use the nouveau driver, since none of the others worked in order to get to the XFCE desktop.

I removed DKMS and ran the Nvidia installer with no issues, other than having to remove the nouveau stuff first. KDE crashed on startup, but with a few other errors that I'm not going to waste time chasing down.

I ran the Nvidia script again to include DKMS and the system installed the nouveau driver as well as the nvidia DKMS module. Still no X or KDE.

At this point, I am forced to wipe and install my other distro. That has always been the only solution to this problem I have ever found.

Maybe whe systemd and dbus are replaced with something less fragile, I'll try it again. Probably not.

Thanks for the input.
lnxguy

Postby morgano » Mar 29th, '18, 15:33

If no one get to know what are the problems with that odd system, no one can fix it...

Edit: i mean you dont give much to help helping you.
You maybe find some similarities with a reported problem yourself.
Maybe https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19871 ?
morgano

Return to Basic support