Icons Wifi and Update disappear from taskmanager tray.

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Icons Wifi and Update disappear from taskmanager tray.

Postby marchugo » Mar 15th, '18, 15:36

Hi,

Every now and then when starting Mageia 6 (fresh install) on my pc, the icons for Wifi and Updater are disappeared from the taskmanager tray at the base of the window. After restarting the system, usually these icons re-appear. There is no pattern te be seen. Sometimes the icons appear normally, sometimes not.

The menu for Show Hidden Icons also does not show the Updater icon.

Strangely enough I will get popup messages when the Updater has found new updates, even though no updater icon appears.

Other icons are displayed normally (Instant mesaging, Clipboard, Sound).

System is 64-bit, desktop is KDE Plasma, kernel is updated to 4.14.20 (but the problem was seen in earlier kernels).

Is there a way to repair this?

Regards,
Marc.
marchugo

Re: Icons Wifi and Update disappear from taskmanager tray.

Postby jiml8 » Mar 15th, '18, 20:38

For some reason, the program xembedsniproxy does not always run when KDE starts.

The workaround is to invoke krunner using alt-F2 and type xembedsniproxy into the string box, then hit enter. That will start it.

Annoying? Yes.
jiml8

Re: Icons Wifi and Update disappear from taskmanager tray.

Postby marchugo » Mar 16th, '18, 12:49

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll try your suggestion starting xembedsniproxy by hand, next time when the icons fail to come up in the taskmanager tray (of course today the icons were there when I fired up my pc....)

Seems that there may be some bug in the autostart function, as you already found on this kde.org info page of Autostart:
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-work ... _autostart
That report is from 2015, so it seems that there is not a lot of interest in solving this bug.

Annoying? Indeed.

Regards,
Marc.
marchugo

Return to Basic support