Getting rid of or configuring xlockmore

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Getting rid of or configuring xlockmore

Postby vygotsky » Mar 6th, '18, 20:01

I erred in not excluding xlockmore when I reinstalled Mageia 4.1. When I try to uninstall it wants to uninstall half my Mate desktop. How can I either get rid of it or increase the time between keystrokes before it locks my screen?
vygotsky

Re: Getting rid of or configuring xlockmore

Postby morgano » Mar 11th, '18, 13:35

Not answering your question, but Mageia 4.1... it may be a time to reinstall the system?
Maybe hold out a couple weeks and install Mageia 6.1 when it is released?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby vygotsky » Mar 11th, '18, 20:03

I did a few weeks ago, and it was disastrous. I deleted some partitions prior to installing 6.0, the remaining partitions were re-numbered and the bootloader could no longer recognize them and couldn't boot 4.1. Meanwhile, I couldn't find my monitor in the monitor list and ended up with an unreadable screen on the desktop. I installed a new 4.1 from dvd on the partitions I'd used for 6.0 in order to get a usable system. That's when xlockmore showed up and became a pita. I must have unchecked it in my original 4.1 install without consequences. That's how I know, or think I know, that the Mate panel, Mate-task, etc. aren't REALLY its dependencies, it's just treated that way once the system is installed. I just finished installing 6.0 a second time, having blanked the rest of my drive and making new partitions for it, was able to find the equivalent of my monitor in the monitor list this time, and have ferried my files from the second 4.1 (after mounting the partitions) to 6.0. Still got xlockmore, though -- didn't see it and get a chance to uncheck it in the install process -- and it still offers to basically uninstall my Mate desktop if I try to uninstall it in the Mageia Control Center (grrrrr!). I don't know yet if it's going to, like before, blank my screen while I'm in the middle of reading something or reading while trying to follow directions to do something. So yes, you didn't answer my question, two, I have installed 6.0, and three, I still would kinda like to know how to uninstall that sumbitch.
vygotsky

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '18, 22:42

I'm wondering what you actually installed (minimal mate install?) and what screensaver you chose or what options you configured, as mate should use mate-screensaver by default.
What screensaver did you choose, can you try one that does not come from xscreensaver package ?

It should be possible to disable screen locking as user via
Code: Select all
gsettings set org.mate.screensaver lock-enabled false

but you still need to check what screensaver settings and power management settings you have configured.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support