HDMI external screen not refreshing with Intel 520

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

HDMI external screen not refreshing with Intel 520

Postby asimov-solensan » Feb 19th, '18, 21:12

Hello,

I have this problem and right now I'm pretty sure it's a bug in intel drivers or randr o whatever KDE uses to manage screens.

The thing is that I boot the laptop with the screen connected and it sets my last configuration correctly. Now if I disconnect the hdmi monitor and connect it again the configurations seems to apply correctly again. It shows the windows in it's place and you can move the cursor on the external screen. But no elements besides the pointer are updated, you can see the the pointer changing if when you pass over a text box, you can click and drag but nothing in the screen is refreshing, it's an static image. Although you can blindly click and notice that thing are working on the background, even you can drag a window and move it to the built-in screen, which correctly works all the time. A video would describe this behaviour much better.

The only way I found to got a working configuration is using laptop's hotkeys to reset a default display configuration with both screens enabled. Of course I don't like this set-up, I want the external screen to be the main one.

I read a bit and seems a problem with buggy drivers, from an article talking about multi-screen configuration in KDE. It has been a couple years without a fix, so I don't expect any improvement.

Here goes some info on my hardware:

Code: Select all
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)                                 
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] (rev 07)                                                                   
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model                             
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 20)                                                                   
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 20)                                                           
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 20)                                                                   
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 20)                                                             
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d13 (rev f0)                                                                                                   
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f0)                                                                     
00:1e.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO UART Controller #0 (rev 20)                                               
00:1e.4 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Device 9d2b (rev 20)                                                                                           
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 20)                                                                               
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 20)                                                                                   
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 20)                                                                                   
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 20)                                                                                             
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)

Code: Select all
4.14.18-desktop-1.mga6

Thanks for any suggestion.
asimov-solensan

Re: HDMI external screen not refreshing with Intel 520

Postby asimov-solensan » Mar 2nd, '18, 18:31

Definitely a bug that was already open:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22480
asimov-solensan

Return to Basic support