kmail stops checking

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

kmail stops checking

Postby jiml8 » Jan 16th, '18, 16:59

I have a situation appearing periodically where kmail checks my pop server and for whatever reason cannot contact it.

It then throws up requesters telling me it cannot reach the mail server, and stops checking until I click away the requester.

This behavior is highly undesirable. What I want to see is what used to happen (sigh!...for the good old days when this stuff just worked...). It would fail to contact the server, then would try again later.

Now, I do believe that akonadi is actually what is contacting the server, not kmail. But I am not certain of this. And I don't know how to change the behavior, or even if I can change the behavior.

Does anyone here know how to change that behavior? Perhaps there is a setting someplace that I have not found. If the behavior can't be changed, will evolution or any other client behave the way I want it to?
jiml8

Re: kmail stops checking

Postby ChuangTzu » Jan 17th, '18, 04:27

Have you tried launching kmail from terminal and watch what errors/warnings pop up? Often times running a program from terminal will at least hint at the problem if not shine a spotlight on it.

PS: copy and paste any errors with code tags.
ChuangTzu

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 17th, '18, 19:36

You can run akonadiconsole, it should have a debug tab to show what's going on. But that only shows communication between akonadi server and clients, which won't help you.

Maybe you can create debug logfiles the same way for POP as described for IMAP, but I've not found any occurence of something like that for POP:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.users.pim/21856 or here: https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Jan 18th, '18, 09:32

Exactly why kmail is intermittently not connecting with the pop server is of no particular interest to me. It is located in another state, through several routers, and lots of things can happen to communications enroute.

What I want is for those stupid popups that tell me it failed to communicate to go away, and to have kmail try again a few minutes later.

Those popups are blocking. I want that to stop.
jiml8

Postby Gelsenbury » Jan 25th, '18, 12:34

There is a setting for "Error while checking mail" under System Settings / Notifications / KMail. It seems to default to a pop-up box. Does unchecking this option lead to the desired behaviour?
Gelsenbury

Postby jiml8 » Jan 25th, '18, 18:39

That setting certainly does look promising. Thanks. I had looked all over kmail to find a setting. It had not occurred to me that it would be in system settings.

I have unchecked it. Now I will just wait and see if emails arrive without incident for the next few days.

Having that capability blocked until I click away the requester is absolutely unacceptable to me; it ensures I will not receive my email while I am traveling, because I have my system collect my email, post-process it according to rules I define, then forward some of the email to my phone.

When those popups block the process, I don't get mail at my phone - which is not acceptable.

I frankly think those popups are stupid. It is far better for the email client to just try again a few minutes later, if an attempt to collect the mail fails for any reason.
jiml8

Postby jiml8 » Jan 26th, '18, 17:55

Well, I just sat down at my computer, and was greeted with a requester informing me that kmail had been unable to connect to the server blah blah blah.

So, I guess turning off notifications as described above did not work.

These blocking requesters are a serious problem for me; I will move off of kmail if I cannot solve this problem.

Can anyone tell me which other email client will work the way I require?
jiml8

Postby isadora » Jan 26th, '18, 19:44

My best is guess is Thunderbird.
Used KMail a lot in my beginning-years into Mandrake/Mandriva, but ever since 2005 moved towards TB.
And this also for unstable KMail-behaviour in those days.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Gelsenbury » Jan 30th, '18, 20:43

Consideration of other mail clients aside, if the user disables the pop-up notification on a mail check error, the system should honour that and not ignore it. Perhaps it's a bug. Would you like to report it?
Gelsenbury

Return to Basic support