Does phoronix-test-suite work?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Does phoronix-test-suite work?

Postby Micromet » Jan 9th, '18, 20:18

Phoronix-test-suite is a Mageia 5.1 core repository entry and installs without issue, placing a menu entry under Tools>System Tools> Phoronix Test Suite. However clicking on this does nothing. The menu entry command is: /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite gui - but the gui version hasn't worked for years. Also the entry in /usr/bin/ is phoronix-test-suite - not phoronix-test-suite gui.
A Konsole/Terminal attempt under root control with phoronix-test-suite or phoronix-test-suite disappears into the ether. I note that there has been no mention on the Mageia forums about phoronix since 2012.
So does it work in Mageia 5.1 or not? If it does - how do I get it to run?
Micromet

Re: Does phoronix-test-suite work?

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 9th, '18, 20:33

Micromet wrote:I note that there has been no mention on the Mageia forums about phoronix since 2012.

And you have read that? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3280

Also /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite gui would have been correct as the command is /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite and "gui" was the argument to launch the GUI back in the days.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Jan 10th, '18, 13:18

Thanks Doktor5000,

And you have read that? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3280

yes - I did a cursory read of that post when trying to find out whether phoronix worked. It didn't seem to fit my case as I get no mention of requiring "canberra-gtk-module. Having tried to launch phoronix several ways, with no immediate or longer term return to prompt - I gave up and shut down the system. In shutting down - there were still some processes continuing - but I was not really paying attention - so didn't really spot what they related to. However I suspect these might have been ongoing phoronix processes. I need to run it again and look at kysguard initially to see if phoronix is running. I suspect that phoronix take some time to go through its processes - so if it is working - it would have been nice for the program to just say at the command prompt "Phoronix is working - please wait" - rather than just disappearing without a mention.
Micromet

Postby Micromet » Jan 10th, '18, 15:42

In shutting down - there were still some processes continuing - but I was not really paying attention - so didn't really spot what they related to. However I suspect these might have been ongoing phoronix processes. I need to run it again and look at kysguard initially to see if phoronix is running

I looked at this again - and on shutdown there were 2 or 3 php processes that needed to be killed - so I suspect these were phoronix processes. I tried again and phoronix-test-suite produced the following:
/usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite: line 133: 3248 Killed $PHP_BIN pts-core/phoronix-test-suite.php $@ - before returning to the prompt.

After having looked at a Ubuntu forum entry for installing and using phoronix-test-suite - i entered the following:
bash-4.3$ phoronix-test-suite list-available-tests

and again the prompt returned with:
/usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite: line 133: 3248 Killed $PHP_BIN pts-core/phoronix-test-suite.php $@

but at least the process finished in an orderly fashion.

Line 133 of the /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite file is the "done" line of the following sequence of code:
Code: Select all
# Run The Phoronix Test Suite
PTS_EXIT_STATUS=8
while [ $PTS_EXIT_STATUS -eq 8 ]; do
   $PHP_BIN pts-core/phoronix-test-suite.php $@
   PTS_EXIT_STATUS=$?
done

if [ -f $HOME/.phoronix-test-suite/web-server-launcher ]
then
   chmod +x $HOME/.phoronix-test-suite/web-server-launcher
   exec $HOME/.phoronix-test-suite/web-server-launcher
   rm -f $HOME/.phoronix-test-suite/web-server-launcher
fi

fi is the last line of the file. I'm no php programmer but I do understand that the reason for the "Kill" line may not be the line pointed at or even the last one one highlighted. So I suspect something other than 8 is being returned in the line: PTS_EXIT_STATUS=$?

However, please don't spend too much time on this - as it was only a cursory "look-see" what Linux had to offer after a friend asked how he could examine the performance of his Intel system running Windows. The "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" seems to do the job for the CPU on that OS and I was curious to see what the proper OS had to offer.
Last edited by isadora on Jan 10th, '18, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
Micromet

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 11th, '18, 09:33

Micromet wrote:However, please don't spend too much time on this - as it was only a cursory "look-see" what Linux had to offer after a friend asked how he could examine the performance of his Intel system running Windows. The "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" seems to do the job for the CPU on that OS and I was curious to see what the proper OS had to offer.

Well, maybe next time ask that beforehand - that is what you actually want to achieve. phoronix-test-suite is not really the same as a quick processor performance test.

Apart from that there's an open bug report against it: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20365
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Jan 11th, '18, 13:46

Well, maybe next time ask that beforehand - that is what you actually want to achieve. phoronix-test-suite is not really the same as a quick processor performance test.

In hindsight I agree - but my original, quite valid, question was why phoronix-test-suite didn't work inside Mageia 5. I knew that phoronix was more than just a processor performance test - but that was all my friend wanted to find out about his Intel system - which led me to find out how Linux systems go about testing aspects of a computers performance - which led me to phoronix-test-suite.

As it became clear (from the forums) that there were problems with phoronix-test-suite, I thought it best to close the discussion rather than waste people's time - mine included. If there was a solution - I would have explored what the application could do and store that knowledge for future use.
Last edited by isadora on Jan 11th, '18, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired quote-tags
Micromet

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jan 12th, '18, 04:56

I'm confused.
Are you giving us a a solution or asking for help?
If the later, one of the support sections might be a more appropriate place for this.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby wintpe » Jan 12th, '18, 14:27

its obvious that this is in light of meltdown/spectre.

a good site where tests have already been run and presented is

https://openbenchmarking.org/

but please please dont let the hype worry you to much.

unless you are running some kind of grid or compute cluster or doing very heavy IO or database, you are
unlikely to notice any change.

here is a specific meltdown comparison test

https://openbenchmarking.org/result/180 ... 801096FO65

but its very workload specific, so dont take those differences and extrapolate that to mean
slow PC.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support