[SOLVED] Migrate data application data from kde4 to plazma

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Migrate data application data from kde4 to plazma

Postby xboxboy » Jan 1st, '18, 11:24

I've installed a fresh mageia 6 kde install. With a new / and new /home, so I still can access my old /home and / to get the settings/configs that I need.

So far I'm stuck moving my quassel history and my kwallet password folder over.

I'm able to mount and access my old kde directory in /home/user, but in plazma, I'm not really seeing much in the /home/user/.kde folder.

Any help most appreciated.
Last edited by xboxboy on Jan 7th, '18, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
xboxboy

Re: Migrate data application data from kde4 to plazma

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 1st, '18, 13:36

Well, most configuration is now located under ~/.config and data under ~/.local, except for some applications which have not been ported yet and which are still KDE4 ones, where it's still using ~/.kde

So for kwallet it's ~/.config/kwalletrc and the actual wallets are stored in ~./.local/share/kwalletd/ but for quassel you'd have to check yourself, like find ~/ -iname "*quassel*" after you have started the plasma5 quassel once or so.

Apart from that, if you would have done the upgrade with your old data still in place, it would have migrated nearly everything over to the new location, just saying.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Jan 2nd, '18, 07:24

Thanks Doktor

Well, I've found the quassel directory, but copying the files over hasn't worked, and kwallet isn't playing nice either, I suspect due to keys/encryption.

I do still have the mageia 5 instance working: It's kde4, with an nvidia graphics card: The worst combination for upgrading from what I can understand.

If you think we can upgrade that instance, than I'm willing to try: Mind you I just tried upgrading a simple xfce laptop install, and that didn't work at all: After about half an hour of messing around via cli and drakrpm, one of the perl modules went AWOL and left me without urpmi, so luckily on that one I can just do a fresh install.

What are your thoughts?
xboxboy

Postby benmc » Jan 2nd, '18, 10:34

if you have the time?( hardware and patience):

clone your Mga5 partitions to a spare HDD. also create a small 5G to 10Gb partition on this drive.
download Mga6 dvd .iso. and save a copy in that new partition. also keep a copy of that .iso in a easy path on the original drive.
download also net-install iso.burn to DVD or usb.
when done, remove your original drive, store in a safe place. install the bootloader by your preferred method.
check that the system boots correctly and everything works as expected. disconnect / disable network connection.
Using the net-install dvd/usb, choose hard-disk install and upgrade the clone Mga5 to Mga6 using the .iso stored on your 5 to 10 Gb partition.
reboot and check system operation. if ok, re-enable / reconnect network connection
and on-line repos and update.

everything should be ok.
if the above works - ok, use the installer to blank the drive (as it is a clone, if you are using a GPT partitioning scheme, the original and clone will have the same UUIDs, and may upset the bootloader if both are connected)

reconnect the original drive and boot to the original drive- repeat the clone and then upgrade the original system using the net-install hard-disk process.
now you understand the easy path to that .iso copy.
upon completion of the upgrade process, you should have 2 Mga6 installs. you can now erase your Mga6 that was not the upgrade.

(probably not quite what you had in mind)

regards
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 2nd, '18, 19:03

xboxboy wrote:Mind you I just tried upgrading a simple xfce laptop install, and that didn't work at all: After about half an hour of messing around via cli and drakrpm, one of the perl modules went AWOL and left me without urpmi, so luckily on that one I can just do a fresh install.

Well, I just did it the "regular" way - replace the urpmi repos, and then run the upgrade as often as there are still packages left to update.
In the process my X server died, and so did the wireless connection so I had to painfully bootstrap the wireless connection by installing the mga6 packages, but then it was just business as usual.
See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_6_Rel ... _.28CLI.29 - or the way benmc proposed.

But all that just for migrating over your quassel configuration and kwallet? Do you have that much passwords stored in there?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Jan 3rd, '18, 01:45

Thanks guys.

Actually, I think I will persevere with upgrading. As I still need to do my main desktop/server box at my business, and that's loaded with ftp, samba and owncloud servers, never mind printers etc...

Ok, so on a separate drive, I have two partitions, one with a copy (rsync -avx) of / and the other with /home

As for getting the boot loader on that disk, that's where I'm stuck. I tried a lived usb and tried to use the mcc boot section, and I also tried a DVD.iso on usb to re-install the boot loader, but that didn't work either.
Ideas?
xboxboy

Postby benmc » Jan 3rd, '18, 10:02

do a "dirty" re-install of your Mga5.

use the dvd.iso for Mga5,
choose "install" not "upgrade" at the necessary screen.
choose the partitions that is your Mga5 , do not format the partitions.
choose your desktop (KDE4).
after a few minutes the install should complete and present the configuration window.
choose your boot-loader and set boot-loader location. complete the install.

reboot. login and reset network connection and on-line media.
update the system.

regards
benmc

Postby xboxboy » Jan 3rd, '18, 17:01

Well wasn't that fun???

Due to some partition 'cleaning', I had messed all my partition details right up and that's why I couldn't install grub.

So once I got my partition numbers all sorted, and grub was sorted, and dracut made happy, I could boot my 'copy' on my external HDD.

I then followed the CLI method from the Mageia 6 release notes in the wiki.

It took a couple of reboots for plazma to present it'self properly, but everything appears to be working correctly, other than kwallet, which I've since learned changed it's format, so I'll have to manually make that move happen. Overall, I'm really happy I persisted, it means all my firefox history is there, my recent docs, my irc chat history etc. etc.... It's great.

I'll keep working on this kwallet issue...

and attack updating my main box/server with it's various servers and complex configurations......
xboxboy

Postby xboxboy » Jan 4th, '18, 12:55

I'll be stuffed. https://onyx.rusu.info/valentin/blog/?p=300

So it crashes some times, but migration works! In my testing, I was able to export the wallets as xml from kde4, then import in plazma, but the migration also works.

So now, I'm gonna wipe my test partitions, recopy my good kde4 system, retest the upgrade cleanly, with clean boot loader install etc. Then retest the upgrade.

If that works as expected, I'll wipe the test partitions for the final time, recopy my working kde4 system. Test the copy system still works... If so, that is becoming my ultimate back up.
Then upgrade my 'proper' kde4 system... Should all go well!
xboxboy

Postby xboxboy » Jan 7th, '18, 01:15

So i took a final back up of my system, checked that it booted: Tucked it away nice and safe.

I then booted the real system, at the boot menu, I added 3 to the kernel perameters, then upgraded as per the CLI instructions in the wiki. Ran the update line twice, although nothing was installed the second time. I rebooted, back into run level three, to run the update line one last time, just to for good measure.

Then rebooted: straight into my working plasma desktop, everything working as it should. I had to change the desktop view to folder view and a couple other little things, but by and large it's all smooth.

Only thing to do is the kwallet migration: Upon the migration agent starting it asks whether I want to use blowfish or gpg. If I try gpg it complains I don't have any keys on my system. Is this simple to set up?
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '18, 09:34

xboxboy wrote:Only thing to do is the kwallet migration: Upon the migration agent starting it asks whether I want to use blowfish or gpg. If I try gpg it complains I don't have any keys on my system. Is this simple to set up?

If you you don't have any GPG keys yet, better go for blowfish. See also https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdeutils ... ction.html
----
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Jan 7th, '18, 10:56

Thanks Doktor. I'll use blowfish.

Updated the work server today, from kde5 ---> Plazma.

I couldn't add the mirror list, not sure why, so I selected the local mirror, booted into run level 3, and done the update.
Again, everything went smooth, only issue was samba: I needed to re-add the user for the printer/network scanning, and enable the server to start at boot.

Other than that it all seems correct. Interestingly, that one loaded up with folder view by default.
xboxboy

Re: [SOLVED] Migrate data application data from kde4 to plaz

Postby xboxboy » Feb 6th, '18, 02:43

Regarding the the work server update, there were a couple of little things to do after:
Reconfigure the SAMBA share/users.
And I was hit by the owncloud/nextcloud client loosing it's password/auto-login.
xboxboy

Return to Basic support