ksnapshot, now spectacle, does not work well under xfce

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

ksnapshot, now spectacle, does not work well under xfce

Postby msjs08 » Dec 28th, '17, 12:20

I'm in Mageia 6. I regularly capture areas and join them together with ksnapshot and gimp.
Could not find ksnapshot. Discovered it had been "replaced" with spectacle. Spectacle now has all the same faults the Ksnapshot did but now cannot capture an area, so I would suggest it is merely a name change.

I started from commandline
Code: Select all
[max@localhost ~]$ spectacle

Spectacle starts and the screenshot preview is correct
Take another screenshot and there is a grey area where spectacle had been
Change the settings to "Rectangular Area" and click "Take a New Screenshot" and the current window darkens.
There is a little + so I click and try to drag a rectangular area but nothing happens. Click back to the same area and double arrows appear. Tried to drag on them but nothing. Tried double clicks, rightclicks and wheelclicks. Tried to use printscr to capture but this did not capture and I could no longer use "Esc" to quit spectacle capture. There was no obvious ways to quit so I had to restart the gui.

Tried to use 4 other "screenshot" applications and none work how I want them to.
Ksnapshot did as long as you moved it far enough away from the area you wanted to avoid the grey patch in Mageia 5 and it held the last used settings!

Found source code for ksnapshot 4.14.3 and tried to ./configure but failed there too. (don't know enough)

Anyone else have similar trouble or can suggest a way around this.
Last edited by msjs08 on Feb 8th, '18, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
msjs08

Re: ksnapshot "replacement", spectacle does not work well

Postby morgano » Dec 28th, '17, 19:20

That is weird.
Some video buffering not working?
What graphic card, and what graphics driver do you use?

For reference, here is how it works here on Mageia6, Plasma:
1) I press the keyboard key "Prt Sc" -> Spectacle starts.
2) Using the setting "Rectangular Area" and click "Take a New Screenshot" -> Spectacle disappears, and mouse cursor is a faint "+"
3) I click left mouse button and screen darkens.
4) I press down left mouse button and drag the area i want to capture -> the selected area is dynamically updated and given normal brightness.
5) I release the left mouse button -> area is selected.
6) i can adjust the selection by pressing down left mouse button on the edges midpoints, the corners, or on the area and move the respective part, then release. Or i can discard it and left-click and drag another area instead.
7) When I am happy, i press the keyboard enter key -> Spectacle window get visible again, showing what i captured.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby richardwest » Dec 28th, '17, 19:20

All I can say is that it works correctly here. Mageia 6 fully updated.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171228_171830.png
Screenshot_20171228_171830.png (130.71 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Richard.
richardwest

Postby msjs08 » Dec 29th, '17, 03:16

morgano wrote:That is weird.
Some video buffering not working?
What graphic card, and what graphics driver do you use?

The greying happened on a previous card too. My current card is G86 [GeForce 8500 GT].
The machine is an older PC. It is a dual ‎Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3040 @ 1.86GHz with 6GB RAM
As far as I can tell the driver is NVIDIA GeForce 8100 to GeForce 415

For reference, here is how it works here on Mageia6, Plasma:
1) I press the keyboard key "Prt Sc" -> Spectacle starts.

"Screenshot" starts for me in xfce

2) Using the setting "Rectangular Area" and click "Take a New Screenshot" -> Spectacle disappears, and mouse cursor is a faint "+"
3) I click left mouse button and screen darkens.
4) I press down left mouse button and drag the area i want to capture -> the selected area is dynamically updated and given normal brightness.
5) I release the left mouse button -> area is selected.
6) i can adjust the selection by pressing down left mouse button on the edges midpoints, the corners, or on the area and move the respective part, then release. Or i can discard it and left-click and drag another area instead.
7) When I am happy, i press the keyboard enter key -> Spectacle window get visible again, showing what i captured.

That was how ksnapshot would work in Mageia 5 (except for the grey area where it had been)

Thanks morgano
msjs08

Postby yankee495 » Feb 1st, '18, 14:44

Spectacle is working good for me in KDE 4. I wanted something like Ksnapshot that allows drag and drop directly from the screenshot preview with having to save the file. This works!
Thank you.
Last edited by yankee495 on Feb 9th, '18, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Postby katnatek » Feb 7th, '18, 20:25

You did must start the tread with the information that your Desktop is Xfce.
I try spectacle under Xfce and all the screen goes grey

I have this output in terminal after kill spectacle

spectacle
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No existe el fichero o el directorio
KMimeTypeTrader: couldn't find service type "Application"
Please ensure that the .desktop file for it is installed; then run kbuildsycoca5.
org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin
qrc:///QuickEditor/EditorRoot.qml:20:1: module "QtQuick" is not installed
qrc:///QuickEditor/EditorRoot.qml:21:1: module "QtQuick.Window" is not installed
qrc:///QuickEditor/EditorRoot.qml:20:1: module "QtQuick" is not installed
qrc:///QuickEditor/EditorRoot.qml:21:1: module "QtQuick.Window" is not installed
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::acceptImage(int, int, int, int) to QuickEditor::acceptImageHandler(int, int, int, int)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::cancelImage() to QuickEditor::grabCancelled()
Terminado

Maybe is a missing require, i'm trying to find which one
BlogDrake Official Community and Forums for Spanish Talkers Users of OpenMandriva and Mageia Linux
katnatek

Postby katnatek » Feb 7th, '18, 22:22

I found installing

urpmi kservice kwindowsystem qtdeclarative5 kio kio-extras

I get rid of almost all warnings in the output, but when run spectacle the video is too much "corrupted" you can select area and after press enter the area looks good, but you have guess too much.

I use gimp for that, i configure the windows to be "normal windows" so i can have just the main window as active.

And from the Screen shot tool i can select an area and the screen shot is taken with good quality.

Sorry for don't help more but spectacle is the most xfce unfriendly application that i found , other 2 applications that i use. just install missing requires and works well.
BlogDrake Official Community and Forums for Spanish Talkers Users of OpenMandriva and Mageia Linux
katnatek

Postby msjs08 » Feb 8th, '18, 08:49

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi kservice kwindowsystem qtdeclarative5 kio kio-extras
Packages kservice-5.32.0-1.mga6.x86_64, qtdeclarative5-5.6.2-10.mga6.x86_64, kwindowsystem-5.32.0-1.mga6.x86_64, kio-extras-16.12.3-2.mga6.x86_64, kio-5.32.0-2.mga6.x86_64 are already installed

No help with my problems, they were already installed.
Last edited by isadora on Feb 8th, '18, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
msjs08

Re: ksnapshot, now spectacle, does not work well under xfce

Postby katnatek » Feb 8th, '18, 20:43

Run spectacle from terminal as normal user and paste the messages
from the beginning until after take the screenshot.
katnatek

Postby msjs08 » Feb 9th, '18, 02:47

How fascinating! I did not try running it yesterday because nothing appeared to have changed so I made the assumption it was not fixed. I tried from both the terminal and menu. It works now.
The only thing I don't see is

The screen remains quite dark so you have to guess but I can put up with that.

There are no errors in the terminal when I start, nor when I capture, or when I quit.

I am really puzzled. Is it possible that this process fixed most of the issue (something to do with the deps.list maybe) or has there been updates to these packages since I posted (how do I find that out)?

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi kservice kwindowsystem qtdeclarative5 kio kio-extras
Packages kservice-5.32.0-1.mga6.x86_64, qtdeclarative5-5.6.2-10.mga6.x86_64, kwindowsystem-5.32.0-1.mga6.x86_64, kio-extras-16.12.3-2.mga6.x86_64, kio-5.32.0-2.mga6.x86_64 are already installed
Marking kservice as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
Marking kwindowsystem as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
Marking qtdeclarative5 as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
Marking kio-extras as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
Marking kio as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
writing /var/lib/rpm/installed-through-deps.list

Thanks katnatek
msjs08

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 9th, '18, 20:10

msjs08 wrote:Is it possible that this process fixed most of the issue (something to do with the deps.list maybe) or has there been updates to these packages since I posted (how do I find that out)?

No, that process did not change anything about spectacle, you just marked all those packages as excplicitly installed hence they would not be removed by auto-orphans.

You can check the most recently installed packages via
rpm -qa --last | less

If there are updates available and you haven't installed them that would also have changed nothing about spectacle.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support