How to get past boot

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

How to get past boot

Postby solarwarrior » Dec 4th, '17, 09:47

<SOLVED>

I have installed Mageia 6 three times now and each time when the system reboots or when I start the computer I get to interface where I am asked for username and password. I type my username and it shows. I press enter and am asked for password. I type this but it does not show ( I thought that it may not normally show it) but on pressing enter the computer just sits there. Pressing enter again will do nothing, another press of enter and I am back to welcome screen. If I try again the whole charade begins anew. I thought perhaps I may have gotten the password wrong previously so made doubly sure this time and wrote them down as I generated them. What am I doing wrong? I have M6 with Xfce desktop. I did reset the passwords during the setup; should I have just left them and not configured them. I am very new to Linux but wish to learn and work with it. Thanks to all who can help.
Last edited by solarwarrior on Dec 5th, '17, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
solarwarrior

Re: How to get past boot

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 4th, '17, 11:35

Hi there,

it might help if you could take a photo of the welcome screen where you enter your username and password, after you entered your password and pressed enter.

solarwarrior wrote:I did reset the passwords during the setup; should I have just left them and not configured them.

What do you mean by reset? If you create a new user, and then set a password during the installation, why would it need a reset ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby solarwarrior » Dec 4th, '17, 12:02

I have attached a photo of the screen immediately after entering password. After a little while the black interface disappears to leave "Boot Menu" screen. Regarding resetting of passwords this was done during setup using "Configure" buttons. Should I have left these alone? Thanks for replying.
Attachments
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
solarwarrior

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 4th, '17, 12:15

Well, that is only the bootloader, and it seems you configured a password for the bootloader. Also see viewtopic.php?p=70805#p70805
You would need to enter the password you configured for the bootloader, and probably root as username.

Next time you do an installation, best leave the bootloader password unconfigured.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby solarwarrior » Dec 4th, '17, 20:09

Thank you. I shall reinstall and just leave all as default. Will reply on here when done but may take a couple of days. Best wishes from Oamaru, New Zealand
solarwarrior

Postby solarwarrior » Dec 5th, '17, 10:23

Well , I reinstalled and only filled out root password and real name and password. On reboot went straight in. I will flag this as SOLVED. I do have question regarding myself as superuser; do I continue that here or begin new thread? Thanks for your help doktor5000
solarwarrior

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 5th, '17, 11:32

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks

solarwarrior wrote:I do have question regarding myself as superuser; do I continue that here or begin new thread?

As a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread ;)
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support