[SOLVED] migrating from Kmail to Evolution

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Postby hankivy » Sep 20th, '17, 04:13

Please advise me on issues of migrating my email client from Kmail to Evolution.

Beyond just the email messages, Kmail uses Akonadi and is integrated with KAddressBook, and maybe some other parts of the KDE desktop.
What other applications, (from the Gnome apps, or otherwise) do you recommend I install and/or migrate data? :?:
Last edited by hankivy on Jan 29th, '18, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
hankivy

Re: Please advise on migrating from Kmail to Evolution

Postby hankivy » Oct 1st, '17, 06:09

Evolution is an integrated Email, Contacts, Calendar application. I should not need another application.
hankivy

Postby wintpe » Oct 2nd, '17, 15:52

so is thunderbird, which i use as you describe.

for calendar i install lightning plugin plus a google calendar plugin.

this then integrates with samsung/google calendar app, so things i book on the move get alerts in thunderbird.

thunderbirds contacts integrate with some webdav imap mail servers, or can remain personal.

aquamail on android for imap mail and then my desktop and phone and tablet are all then synced.

food for thought anyway.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

migrating from Kmail to Evolution, Script, and extra support

Postby hankivy » Nov 23rd, '17, 00:21

(1) I have written a script to copy email messages from KMail mdir folders to Evolution mdir folders.
The folder names are different, and there are KMail index/overhead files that do not need to be copied.
I am still fine tuning it.

(2) Apparently, evolution can run in a KDE desktop. :?: Does anyone have experience with this? :?:
hankivy

Answered some of my own questions

Postby hankivy » Nov 23rd, '17, 00:53

Sorry to bother the Mageia forum with these questions. There are a lot of answers in the Evolution FAQ publication.

I include the following only for the sake of completeness. (It comes from the Evolution FAQ publication).
The link may be old, but the similar questions and answers have been scattered in the new documentation.

Running evolution under KDE.

*** I upgraded Evolution - where are my icons gone? I only get red crosses...

Make sure that you have installed gnome-icon-theme and hicolor-icon-theme. Also make sure that gnome-settings-daemon is running. If you are using Evolution under KDE, add a line to start the gnome-settings-daemon before startkde in your .xsession file. For Evolution version 2.x also try executing gtk-update-icon-cache from a command line console.

*** Why is my font too small when composing emails in Evolution in KDE?

Make sure you have gnome-control-center and gconf-editor installed. Run gconf-editor and change the following key values:

desktop->gnome->background->draw_background (uncheck)

apps->gnome_settings_daemon->start_screensaver (uncheck)

apps->nautilus->preferences->show_desktop (uncheck)
Perhaps you also have to play around with some GNOME settings like dots per inch, mouse settings, keyboard repeat, etc. to prevent the gnome daemon from changing KDE settings.

Then run "gnome-appearance-properties" (GNOME 2.18 and earlier: "gnome-font-properties") to set your fonts (it will start the settings daemon) Now the final step it to ensure that the gnome-settings-daemon starts up automatically when starting up KDE (the KDE session manager will not do this for you) - or the fonts will be incorrect anyway. Go to $HOME/.kde/Autostart and create a file called gsd.desktop and put the following lines into that file:

[Desktop Entry]

Name=gnome-settings-daemon
Exec=gnome-settings-daemon --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon
Terminal=false
Type=Application

*** Why can Evolution not be started from KDE, but from GNOME

Evolution is a GNOME application and should normally work perfectly under KDE if you have the required GNOME libraries installed. If you start Evolution under KDE from shell/console/terminal prompt/commandline and get errors about QPixmap and QPainter, it is very likely a theme problem. Try to not use gtk-qt, try a different theme under KDE.

*** Where does Evolution store my data?

Evolution stores your data in $HOME/.evolution/, your account settings in $HOME/.gconf/apps/evolution and your passwords in $HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution. The passwords are not stored encrypted, just base64 encoded. SSL Certificates are stored in $HOME/.camel_certs, and if Evolution crashed while you were writing an email, there could even be a file $HOME/.evolution/.evolution-composer.autosave-123456 (where 123456 is some string). Note: If you run Evolution 2.8 or older, the file will be at $HOME/.evolution-composer.autosave-123456.

Note: If you run Evolution 2.32.0 or later version, ~/.evolution directory will be gone and the files will be partitioned into three base directories which are by default:

$HOME/.local/share/evolution - The user's data files
$HOME/.config/evolution - Various configuration and state files
$HOME/.cache/evolution - Disposable data caches
hankivy

Postby wintpe » Nov 23rd, '17, 12:51

sorry if your not getting any replies.

I can only speak from my own perspective, that when during a period of thunderbird development i was not happy with it i did look at evolution, but found it wanting.

I ended up staying instead with a very old version of thunderbird, until many versions had passed and it finally reached a level i was happy with.

At no point did i ever consider giving evolution a second look.

to answer some one of your questions re fonts

have the same issue in many gtk apps using kde

you need to select the right gtk theme in the kde control panel for your requirments.

but sometimes, you just wont get a theme that suits all requirments.

for example

I use vuescan, that has an issue with the theme that palemoon works well with.

when vuescan is happy, palemoon crashes.

your mileage might vary.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby hankivy » Jan 29th, '18, 22:23

I wrote, and tested a script that copies KMail 4.0 mdir format email messages to an Evolution 3.22.6 mdir format.

I had advice on the minimal software needed for Evolution to run in a KDE desktop environment.
It was likely good advice, but my decision was to install the meta package called, task-gnome, into my existing KDE installation.
Currently I run Evolution in a KDE desktop environment, and I am still learning the user interface, and moving the contact info, etc.
It is running well as just an email client.

As another topic, I wonder if others want the script? If so how should I distribute, and document the script, and my process?
hankivy

Return to Basic support