[FIXED] Mageia6 puts the netname in hostname

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[FIXED] Mageia6 puts the netname in hostname

Postby griffin » Aug 28th, '17, 08:38

Mageia6 is putting my system's netname where the hostname used to be in the bash shell prompt and in journal entries. The netname apparently is obtained in /etc/profile with the command "hostname=`/bin/hostname`", and here it is of the form "dsl123-987-456.pop.dsl.myisp.net". The first half of that string appears my bash shell prompt and the whole thing appears in journal entries. This totally ignores the concise and witty host name that is in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. I can't imagine what bright spark decided to do this, but I don't like it. I want this put back the way it was, or at least have some way to specify my own desired host name without having some pedantic, standardized and gawdawful stupid long host name imposed on me and my Mageia linux system.
UPDATE: This problem went away. All I can think is that the system must have eventually decided to honor what I put in /etc/hostname. However, I will leave this thread here on the chance that it might help someone else who encounters this.
griffin

Return to Basic support