Dropbox not working anymore on MGA 6

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Re: Dropbox not working anymore on MGA 6

Postby rolf » Jul 23rd, '17, 14:46

Hi Erik,
To be sure we're talking about the same thing, there is a dropbox-servicemenu package that installs some scripts that are found in the Dropbox right-click sub-menu. Currently, the menu items are there, for me, but I haven't been able to get the public url of a file under ~/Dropbox/Public, my only usage of this sub-menu. I expect the other items don't work but haven't checked. See the screenshot:

copyq-screenshot_20170723_052602.png
copyq-screenshot_20170723_052602.png (118.79 KiB) Viewed 11786 times

Can you get a url on the clipboard or any other Dropbox right-click sub-menu function to work? If so, putting which files back into your ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-30.4.22/ directory? Another way, can you give the output of the following command, run as normal user on your machine, with, I expect, more files in your directory:

Code: Select all
$ cd ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-30.4.22/ && ls lib*
libicudata.so.42*  libicuuc.so.42*  librsyncffi.compiled._librsyncffi.so*
libicui18n.so.42*  library.zip*     librsync.so.1*

I assume we're using the same version, dropbox-lnx.x86_64-30.4.22

Thanks.
rolf

Postby Erik » Jul 23rd, '17, 17:05

Dear Rolf,

I must apologize to you for all my errors. With your help I got Dropbox working, but not the service menu. When I saw it, I believed everything to be all right, but did not check it. Now I did. The service menu does not work. But I am very happy that Dropbox itself is fully functional now. Searching for information about the service menu I got here:
https://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mageia/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/release/dropbox-servicemenu-0.16.1-5.mga6.noarch.html

I checked all files under "Requires", and found that all are installed except the 4 "rpmlib" requirements. But since this all is way above me, I do not know if I got to something or not.

I am very sorry that I misinformed you. I am just a user without technical knowledge.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby rolf » Jul 23rd, '17, 17:17

That's ok. I know of 2 ways to get the dropbox servicemenu. One is by installing the Mageia rpm (preferably, there are others for other distros that might or might not install/work). The other is by installing files from a download provided at various sites, such as the one I mentioned previously: https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... ent=124416

I expect you already have the Mageia rpm installed, unless you installed directly the files sometime in the past. Try:

$ rpm -qa | grep dropbox
python3-dropbox-3.41-1.mga6
dropbox-servicemenu-0.16.1-5.mga6
python-dropbox-3.41-1.mga6
dropbox-2015.10.28-1.mga6.nonfree
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '17, 20:06

Useful to whom? Maybe to the guys at dropbox so they fix their stuff ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rolf » Jul 23rd, '17, 20:13

I filed a bug on dropbox-servicemenu: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21328
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '17, 20:27

You didn't mention anywhere in this thread that the dropbox internal CLI command "dropbox puburl filename" is also not working. You are aware that this only works for files in your public folder? This is also discussed at
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-m ... d-p/194104

Also the installation page for dropbox and other sites are recommending the python script https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py which can also generate shareable links as mentioned in https://superuser.com/a/1062268/365864 which also mentions how to create your own service menu ... See also http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tri ... erface-cli

I've just tried and dropbox.py sharelink filename works, although you need to change locally to your dropbox folder first where that file is located
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rolf » Jul 23rd, '17, 20:36

[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$ pwd
/home/rolf/Dropbox/Public/gifs
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$ dropbox puburl banana.gif
Couldn't get public url: Unknown Error
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$

I guess you're referring to the bug report, where I posted that as evidence the command was run under the Public directory.

dropbox.py is installed
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$ rpm -ql dropbox-servicemenu
/usr/bin/dropbox-notify.py
/usr/bin/dropbox.py
/usr/bin/dropbox_menu.sh
/usr/bin/dropbox_menu_translations.sh
/usr/bin/get_dropbox_folder.sh
/usr/bin/pyndexer.py
/usr/share/doc/dropbox-servicemenu
/usr/share/doc/dropbox-servicemenu/Changelog
/usr/share/doc/dropbox-servicemenu/THANKS
/usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/dropbox_all.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/dropbox_directories.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/dropbox_files.desktop
/usr/share/licenses/dropbox-servicemenu
/usr/share/licenses/dropbox-servicemenu/LICENSE
Last edited by isadora on Jul 23rd, '17, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
rolf

Postby Erik » Jul 23rd, '17, 20:44

Dear Rolf,

I tried the files you suggested, combined and separately. No joy. So I have given up on the service menu.

Dear Doktor5000,

I do not believe the problem is with Dropbox only. There is a problem:

1. with the service menu in Plasma, since Dropbox is working now on my 64-bits Mageia 6 installation while it is impossible to me to get the service menu working.

2. with Mageia, because the same files of Dropbox work perfectly in Rosa Fresh R8.1, R9, Linux Mint Mate 17.3 and 18.2, all 64-bits.

I am patiently waiting for the developers of Mageia/Dropbox/Plasma to find the bug and update the otherwise beautiful distribution.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 24th, '17, 07:53

rolf wrote:
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$ pwd
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$

I guess you're referring to the bug report, where I posted that as evidence the command was run under the Public directory.

No need to repost that. And I've mentioned
I've just tried and dropbox.py sharelink filename works, although you need to change locally to your dropbox folder first where that file is located

I've not mentioned that puburl works here. And to be honest I don't care about this feature at all so I don't bother about it.

If you want the servicemenu to work, then either contact dropbox support about that or try to fix the python script yourself.
----
doktor5000

Postby rolf » Jul 24th, '17, 14:37

doktor5000 wrote:
rolf wrote:
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$ pwd
[rolf@p8z68 gifs]$

No need to repost that.

Well, you asked
doktor5000 wrote:You are aware that this only works for files in your public folder?

doktor5000 wrote:
If you want the servicemenu to work, then either contact dropbox support about that or try to fix the python script yourself.

rolf wrote:The dropbox servicemenu linked in `rpm -qi dropbox-servicemenu` looks to be not touched in 5 years. Also, there might be a relevant advice about python at that linux-apps page:
- https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... ent=124416

It doesn't look to me that dropbox-servicemenu in the repos of Mageia comes from dropbox.com, so I think they will be even less motivated to fix it than their typical refusal to fix problems with the software they distribute.

doktor5000 wrote:Useful to whom? Maybe to the guys at dropbox so they fix their stuff ...

(Is it your job to discourage users of this distro from participating in the forum or bugzilla to try to resolve problems with it? If so, you do a very good job at that. :lol: )
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 25th, '17, 08:33

rolf wrote:(Is it your job to discourage users of this distro from participating in the forum or bugzilla to try to resolve problems with it? If so, you do a very good job at that. :lol: )

Look, I even gave the pointers o the documentation on how you could create your own servicemenu handlers. The original dropbox.py script CLI handler that the servicemenu uses comes from whom? Directly from upstream: https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py - and they should fix that, but feel free to ignore this. But sure, you can put the burden on one of our contributors to fix some old deprecated servicemenu that we happen to ship because in the past somebody thought this is convenient to our users when it worked at some point in time.

Good luck with your servicemenu issue, I'll see myself out.
----
doktor5000

Postby rolf » Jul 31st, '17, 03:18

Since there was a chance the distribution upgrade of my desktop from MGA5 left some conflicting files and paths that might account for various problems I've had with different functionalities, I did a clean installation of the Classical MGA6 x86_64, keeping all my data and /home partitions intact. I'm not proposing a correlation, just observing conditions.

Initially, the dropbox icon appeared in the tray at first boot as the modified ~/.dropbox-dist/, as described above and here, was untouched in /home. There was no dropbox-related rpm installed. I didn't test any syncing capability until after I installed:

[rolf@z68x Dropbox]$ rpm -qa | grep dropbox
dropbox-2015.10.28-1.mga6.nonfree
nautilus-dropbox-2015.10.28-1.mga6.nonfree

There is also

[rolf@z68x ~]$ ll Dropbox/dropbox.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rolf rolf 116587 07-23-2017 09:30 Dropbox/dropbox.py*

apparently put there a week ago by what motivation I don't remember and whether that's important I don't know. It appears to be in dropbox-servicemenu, python-dropbox, python3-dropbox, which were installed at some point but not now.

So far, I find a file uploaded to Dropbox from my Blackberry syncs to the MGA6 desktop Dropbox/. I find

[rolf@z68x Dropbox]$ dropbox sharelink BlackBerry/photos/whoru.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/****************/whoru.jpg?dl=0

Creates a url that opens in a browser (seamonkey) with the file displayed and a button to download, even if it is not under Public/, even when I'm logged out of dropbox.com. This is more flexible than my previous very occasional need to share a file under Public/. The `dropbox puburl` command does not work:

[rolf@z68x Dropbox]$ dropbox puburl Public/gifs/banana.gif

I used to view my Dropbox/ in konqueror and the kde service-menu fulfilled that occasional need. With nautilus-dropbox installed (gnome, I think), I can view Dropbox/ in nautilus. I created a menu application and added an icon to the Plasma 5 desktop. The command is

nautilus --no-desktop /home/rolf/Dropbox

The following functionality might have been there all along and I just did not see it, being wed to konqueror, but it's nice that nautilus has a right click menu that includes getting a url to share a file, whether or not it's under Public/, as far as I have tested, that displays the file in a browser/offers a download button when I'm not logged in, so I think that would be useful, occasionally.

copyq-screenshot_20170730_174429-whoru.png
copyq-screenshot_20170730_174429-whoru.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 11709 times

I've had a Dropbox account for many years. I've read about Dropbox being more restrictive about the functionality of newer accounts and I don't know whether these results would be similar for everybody.
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 31st, '17, 18:51

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks

rolf wrote:
[rolf@z68x Dropbox]$ dropbox sharelink BlackBerry/photos/whoru.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/****************/whoru.jpg?dl=0

Creates a url that opens in a browser (seamonkey) with the file displayed and a button to download, even if it is not under Public/, even when I'm logged out of dropbox.com. This is more flexible than my previous very occasional need to share a file under Public/. The `dropbox puburl` command does not work:

Which is both what I mentioned earlier.
----
doktor5000

Dropbox problem on M6

Postby mackowiakp » Aug 8th, '17, 18:40

I just install from beginning (fresh installation) Mageia 6. Additionally I installed Dropbox from M6 repo. Then I try to configure Dropbox using command:

dropbox start -i

It was done from user level. But after downloading Dropbox daemon, I try to run it using command:

.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

But it cause en error "Violation of memory protection" (Translation from my language).
Strange is that if I install Dropbox daemon as root, it works properly, of course in /root dir.

Any help?
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Re: Dropbox problem on M6

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 8th, '17, 19:15

Please next time use the search function, there is already a pretty long thread about this, where I've merged your post into.
I can't reproduce, dropbox-lnx.x86_64-30.4.22 is working just fine here.
----
doktor5000

Postby mackowiakp » Aug 8th, '17, 19:23

Ok. For me it works to on two upgraded on-line Systems. But on fresh installation not. So DONE?
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 8th, '17, 20:25

Who should answer that, if not you?
----
doktor5000

Postby Erik » Aug 8th, '17, 22:44

Today I removed the Dropbox directories and installed the new version 31.4.25. After removing the libQt5 files and libdrm.so.2 I was able to install Dropbox! The servicemenu still does not work, but I am very happy that Dropbox itself is now installed on my main computer. As far as I am concerned the problem is solved. The KDE servicemenu is nice but not necessary.

Greetings and thanks again for the help I always get on this forum.

Erik
Erik

Postby rolf » Aug 15th, '17, 16:42

A few days ago, some mechanism automatically upgraded me to dropbox-lnx.x86_64-32.4.23 and dropbox stopped working, same symptoms, segfault. In systemsettings5 > startup and shutdown, there is `dropbox start -i`, which will install the scripts from dropbox into $HOME, if it isn't there, or, I'm guessing, update it. I tried to avoid this breakage by unchecking that but it's enabled next startup. Right-click the dropbox icon in tray and `Start Dropbox on System Startup` has stayed unchecked since I first unchecked it but it does not seem to be controlling.

Short story is that keeping the new version of dropbox-dist and removing the same libraries as before still works to get it running.
rolf

Postby rolf » Aug 15th, '17, 16:58

doktor5000 wrote:
rolf wrote:(Is it your job to discourage users of this distro from participating in the forum or bugzilla to try to resolve problems with it? If so, you do a very good job at that. :lol: )

Look, I even gave the pointers o the documentation on how you could create your own servicemenu handlers. The original dropbox.py script CLI handler that the servicemenu uses comes from whom? Directly from upstream: https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py - and they should fix that, but feel free to ignore this. But sure, you can put the burden on one of our contributors to fix some old deprecated servicemenu that we happen to ship because in the past somebody thought this is convenient to our users when it worked at some point in time.

Good luck with your servicemenu issue, I'll see myself out.

I re-read all the thread and NO WHERE do I demand any thing of any body. Most recently, I contributed $100 Euros to Mageia, the latest money I've paid every year for more than 17 years to Mandrake and descendants. For more than 17 years, I've contributed in forums, on lists, and in bugzilla, as in this thread, hoping to find and contribute to solutions, not expecting, not demanding, not creating burdens, just offering facts.

You have a habit of talking down to people who post here and making up false claims to justify your abusive, bullying behavior. Any one can see the inhibiting effect your hostility has on posters, especially newcomers. Although I, also, don't find this a welcoming place to participate, thanks to you, if you think you can slander me with impunity, without me defending myself, think again.
rolf

Postby isadora » Aug 15th, '17, 18:31

rolf wrote:...

You have a habit of talking down to people who post here and making up false claims to justify your abusive, bullying behavior. Any one can see the inhibiting effect your hostility has on posters, especially newcomers. Although I, also, don't find this a welcoming place to participate, thanks to you, if you think you can slander me with impunity, without me defending myself, think again.

Rolf, though respecting your point of view, i would rather prefer not to overdo.
Keep trying to stay objective within posting messages.
Any personal disagreements are better communicated by the right means, like a personal message.

Also i like to point at our code of conduct:

https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/about/code-of-conduct/

Think deeply before turning a disagreement into a public dispute. If necessary request mediation and attempt to resolve differences in a less highly-emotional medium. If you do feel that you or your work is being attacked, take your time to breathe before writing heated replies. Consider a 24 hour moratorium if emotional language is being used - a cooling off period is sometimes all that is needed. If you really want to go a different way, then we encourage you to publish your ideas and your work, so that it can be tried and tested.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby marja » Aug 16th, '17, 16:48

Thanks, isadora, for your reply to rolf.

@ Rolf
One of the big problems when trying to work together with people from different countries, cultures and characters, is that it can be very easy to interpret something that is written totally different than it was intended.

I guess it's doktor5000's terseness that triggered the wrong image you have of him. Please be aware that terseness does not equal contempt, nor equal bullying, nor harshness.

It's a pity you've never met doktor5000 in real life, you would have seen that he is a very polite and helpful guy, who treats others with respect.

I'm sure he would only have helped a fraction of the very many users that he has helped so far, if he had been less terse. Terseness is big time saver. I know another terse-but-correct person who helps over five times as many clients as her average colleague in the same time.
marja

Postby rolf » Dec 3rd, '17, 18:25

As dropbox upgrades itself, I find it no longer works. I have repeated the process of moving or removing those "lib* in the Dropbox installation that were not duplicated on my system", as described before.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20182#c35

That stopped working. Through many permutations of removing|installing distro dropbox packages and ~/.dropbox*, the best I could achieve was a dropbox that seemed to start w/o segfaulting, a process in ps, an icon in tray that sometimes had a never-ending "sync" overlay, but no actual sync or link-generating functionality.

The last thing I tried, which has given me a functional dropbox, involved un-installing dropbox* distro packages, deleting ~/.dropbox*, and invoking the 32-bit installation instructions at dropbox.com (I'm on 64-bit MGA 6):

32-bit:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86" | tar xzf -

Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder.

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Also, I had generated multiple links to this machine at my dropbox.com account and have unlinked those prior to the latest installation attempts.

Initially, dropbox did not start from cli but gave a message that included the location of a debug file in /tmp, for example:

/tmp/dropbox_error2QANoA.txt

Toward the end of this file was the name of a file not found and I would search for a package containing that file, for example:

$ urpmf libqxcb.so
lib64qt5gui5:/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
libqt5gui5:/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so

and install the 32-bit version:

$ sudo urpmi libqt5gui5

This process was repeated: failed start, error message showing a new file not found, the 32-bit version containing that file installed, until dropbox started. A dropbox.com page opened in my default browser where I could link this new installation.

Then, I installed the distro package, nautilus-dropbox, which pulled in dropbox, and this has been working so far.

The advice to copy dropbox.py to ~/Dropbox does not seem to be needed in this case and I have removed it.
rolf

Postby Erik » Dec 4th, '17, 09:28

Dear Rolf,

the newest version of Dropbox will "work" under Mageia 6 (I have the 64-bit version) if you remove the file "libdrm.so.2". (I am not quite sure about the ".2). You won't be able to get to dropbox.com via the icon in the system tray, but it will work otherwise. I log in to dropbox.com via Firefox for a link. The moment you don't see the icon in the system tray, you know that it has updated itself. Perhaps you must remove libdrm.so.2 again.

Good luck with Dropbox.

Erik
Erik

Postby rolf » Dec 4th, '17, 15:02

Hi, Erik. Do you remove only that one libdrm.so file?
rolf

PreviousNext

Return to Basic support