failure of DVD disc to be mounted

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

failure of DVD disc to be mounted

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 12th, '16, 21:48

I've recently re-built, with a new mobo and CPU, a PC that I used for the odd Windows application and trying out various Linux distro's. Since the spec of the re-build is now better than my main machine, I've toyed with swapping the tow over. To that end, I've blown away all the previous OS's and installed Mga5.However,, whilst almost everything works, and works well, there is a problem with the DVD drive. In this case, the DVD will accept a disc. In this case a commercial video, but whilst an entry will appear in the device notifier, along with a list of all appropriate applications. All applications open, from the list, but do nothing. . Under normal circumstances, I would expect the DVD drive and disc, to be mounted in /run/media/(user)/(disc title), but in this case, there is no media directory in /run. I did notice, that unlike the normal, the option to open the filesystem with "File Manager", in the device notifier. presumably since the filesystem did not exist in the machine. was not one of the options. I tried an odd recorded DVD and that played correctly, but where it played from, I have no idea, since the /run directory was still bare of the 'media' directory
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support