firefox update breaks scroll bar in 'red cats' theme

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

firefox update breaks scroll bar in 'red cats' theme

Postby oj » Jun 9th, '16, 19:59

The firefox update to 45.2.0 broke the scroll bar in the red cats theme. (it appears in other themes) I emailed the author asking if he'd like any specific info from my machine. It appears the bar is there but 2 pixels wide or so, as good as not there.
oj

Re: firefox update breaks scroll bar in 'red cats' theme

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '16, 21:01

What desktop environment do you use?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby oj » Jun 9th, '16, 21:09

sorry... KDE
oj

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '16, 21:23

Maybe the KDE integration patches need an update. Do you also have some GTK-based desktop installed, like GNOME or LXDE or maybe XFCE?
Please try firefox there and tell me if the problem with that theme still persists.

I'll try to have a look for that issue, maybe our firefox needs a fix or two.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wrw105 » Jun 9th, '16, 23:35

Not sure if this is relevant, but I've had a similar issue. I have scroll bars, but no stepper arrows. I'm thinking something changed in a gtk setting on a particular account in the "wheel" group that allows the update installation (i.e. the steppers are missing on firefox and mcc on one account on one of my machines, but different account on the same machine still has the steppers).
wrw105

Postby oj » Jun 10th, '16, 00:34

It's the same in IceWM. A 2 pixel-wide scroll bar I can only see with a magnifying glass. Other themes the bar is normal. I don't have any other DE installed on this machine. I will install gnome-shell, I thought I already had so it won't be a waste of time. :) You want me to check in gnome?
oj

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 12th, '16, 12:56

FWIW, tried on my parents box and the scroll bar looks normal using the red cats green flavour. This is under KDE using the oxygen theme, and gtk-qt-engine is not installed.

Although normally they use this theme: http://www.varesano.net/contents/projec ... refox%203x and the classic theme restorer https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer but the scrollbar also looks normal when just using one of the red cats themes. Which one are you using, the green or the blue flavour?

And can you please post the output as regular user of
Code: Select all
find ~ -iname "*gtkrc*" -type f
----
doktor5000

Postby oj » Jun 12th, '16, 14:38

Code: Select all
[i7@i7 ~]$ find ~ -iname "*gtkrc*" -type f
/home/i7/.gimp-2.8/gtkrc
/home/i7/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc
/home/i7/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc-2.0
[i7@i7 ~]$

I'm using the blue flavor. The author of the theme asked me to try a beta upgrade, but it didn't help.
oj

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 12th, '16, 19:22

oj wrote:/home/i7/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc
/home/i7/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc-2.0

Can you show the content of both of those? And do you have gtk-qt-engine installed?
----
doktor5000

Postby wrw105 » Aug 28th, '16, 03:39

If firefox (or thunderbird) is your only problem, there's a workaround. a new tab in the browser, type about:config and click "I'll be careful" in the warning page that shows up. Right click in the main window and select New-->Integer. for the name type ui.scrollToClick and for the integer value type 0 (zero). Clicking anywhere in the scrollbar above the bar itself will move the page up one page, or down one page if below the bar. Reference: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1260067#c7
wrw105

Return to Basic support