LibreWriter not painting...old issue...solved!

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

LibreWriter not painting...old issue...solved!

Postby elmago » May 22nd, '16, 21:27

Hi,
About a year back or so I really intended to switch over my desktop to Mageia but a problem of LibreWriter not painting the window on mouse scroll prevented me from switching over. Basically, on a fast mouse scroll or even with up-arrow repeat inside a document I used to get some of the lines in the page mangled up or completely missing. Another user was able to recreate the issue but the solution was not found.

The issue was basically my hardware. The VGA card I had was Radeon HD 3300 or so and connected a VGA only Samsung SyncMaster monitor. Other parts of the system were pretty fast... MemTest showing 5 GB/sec memory transfer speed (not L1, L2 or L3), the CPU itself had a score around 5800 (see http://www.cpubenchmark.net/) and a Samsung SSD. This VGA card simply could not put up with LibreWriter screen update requests... at least under Mageia.

Encouraged by the improvements of Mageia 5 on a nVidia based laptop I recently installed Mageia 5 64bit fresh on a new SSD on the desktop. And that's when I re-discovered that problem. So, I updated the desktop graphics card to a Radeon R7 250 and the problem disappeared immediately.

The old 3300 has a score of about 133 and the new R7 250 is around 1400 (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/).
Hope this info helps someone.
elmago

Return to Basic support