Set up Sylpheed (with multiple mailboxes) [maybe Claws too]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Set up Sylpheed (with multiple mailboxes) [maybe Claws too]

Postby boombaby » Apr 18th, '16, 17:44

. . . CREATING MULTIPLE MAILBOXES IN SYLPHEED EMAIL . . .

Today I had a bit of trouble setting up Claws Mail with independent mailboxes. I wanted to use multiple mailboxes, independent of each other. To some that might be seem strange (as you might read later in the link referred to) but that's exactly what I wanted.

I went searching on the Internet for a solution with Claws but only came up with FAQs etc, from the Claws mob. I didn't understand the manual. So I got no clear result.

In this search process I learnt that Claws was descended from Sylpheed. So I changed to Sylpheed in order to test it out.

Not surprisingly (I suppose) with Sylpheed I also had a lot of trouble (the same as Claws). Again I went looking for solutions on the Internet. After a LOT MORE searching I came up with ONE WEBPAGE that gave me only a "hint" of what I might try. The link is listed here...

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.sylpheed.general/10233

Since I still could not get a true grasp of a solution from it, I went to "try stuff out". Now, I think I know exactly what is required (and my system works).

So, here's how I set up Sylpheed...

The trick is to:-

... 1. Set up the ACCOUNTS first (I used lower case names); then

... 2. Add the MAILBOXES (...with the similar names is good. I just capitalized.); then

... 3. ATTACH each Account to the CORRESPONDING Mailbox.

... 4. Do some final tinkering (for handling the incoming mail).

Given that you are doing multiple mailboxes (but I guess it could be the same for only one) the above steps expand to...

1. For every Account...
. . . Configuration > Create New > Answer the prompts (as required for your particular setup to your ISP)

2. For every Mailbox...
. . . File > Mailbox > Add Mailbox (Here I used capital letters to differentiate from the account)

3. For every Account/Mailbox Connection...
. . . In left panel on the mailbox Name (right-click) > Properties > Compose > Drop-down box choose Account (just created)
. . . [ To be clear in this step...
. . . On the newly-created Mailbox (now showing in the left panel) right-click on the box-name and choose Properties,
. . . then select the Compose tab, then click the drop-down box and select the Account just created.]

That looks finished, BUT - in the case of multiple mailboxes - there is another important step (ie step 4. above) to complete, otherwise incoming mail gets diverted across boxes.

So, for EACH newly-created mailbox...

(a.) On top Menu > click Configuration > Edit Accounts > Uncheck any box under the "G" column;

(b.) then click the Edit button next to an Account,

(c.) click tab "Receive" > on the Receive form UNcheck "Filter on receiving..." > click "Select" button;

(d.) From the mailboxes list now shown click the "Inbox" corresponding to the same mailbox > click OK.

[Remember that's for EACH mailbox.]

Well, that's it. Not really complicated is it? Unless, of course, you don't know where to start. Now you do!

[P.S. As a consequence of the above, it may be the same for Claws. Don't know.]

Regards,
aka boombaby
boombaby

Return to Basic support