Less services !

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Less services !

Postby vincentm77 » Oct 9th, '15, 15:36

I find the list of services running on my Mageia5 quite impressive and kind of confusing.
I wish I had a tool helping me to decide which of these services (and deamons) I really need.

mandi, upower, ip6tables, acpi.... Do I need those on my desktop computer ? Finding an answer to that question is sometimes not easy.

Vincent
vincentm77

Re: Less services !

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 9th, '15, 15:51

Why do you think in particular you do not need them?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 10th, '15, 19:46

vincentm77 wrote:mandi, upower, ip6tables, acpi.... Do I need those on my desktop computer ? Finding an answer to that question is sometimes not easy.

Seems when drakxservices was migrated from SysV to systemd the display of the info/description field was stripped away.
You could try manaservice (also check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_5_Rel ... ls_preview on manatools in general) which shows the info in the right-hand pane.

Or like this:
Code: Select all
[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[19:40:18]─[~] systemctl|head -1;systemctl|grep -iE "mandi|upower|ip6tables|acpi"
  UNIT                                                                                                     LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       DESCRIPTION
  acpid.service                                                                                            loaded active running   ACPI Event Daemon
  cpupower.service                                                                                         loaded active exited    Configure CPU power related settings
  ip6tables.service                                                                                        loaded active exited    ip6tables Firewall for IPv6
  upower.service                                                                                           loaded active running   Daemon for power management

FWIW:
  • mandi is the service which relays messages from monitoring libraries running as root to the userspace as a notification. It's used e.g. for our interactive firewall applet called mandi-ifw which displays port-scans and such if you enabled it (should be enabled by default, see http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/ ... ewall.html )
  • upower is the service for power management which all desktop environments require for, well handling power management an related events.
  • ip6tables is the kernel package filter for IPv6 packages.
  • acpid is the service that is resposible for all acpi communication with the kernel and handling/triggernig related events

Does that answer your question?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 10th, '15, 20:11

Just discovered that drakxservices will also display the description if you mouseover on the name of the service.
----
doktor5000

Postby vincentm77 » Oct 13th, '15, 17:22

Thank You Dok for your help.

> Why do you think in particular you do not need them?
Well, I don't ! I would like to know whether I need them or not... and the list of services displayed by drakxservices does not help much (I may need to google each service and check what it does...)

I trust Mageia to have (after a clean install) the services running that a "normal" user would need (no apache server...)
vincentm77

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 13th, '15, 19:02

vincentm77 wrote:Well, I don't ! I would like to know whether I need them or not... and the list of services displayed by drakxservices does not help much (I may need to google each service and check what it does...)

See above, I posted the descriptions for the services you mentioned, and also how to obtain the descriptions.
Can be done either via systemctl or by mouse-over on the service name in drakxservices.

If you don't have good in-depth knowledge of the lower linux plumbing layers, it's hard to know whether you could eventually disable some service without impact. But the gains are usually absolutely minimal, if at all noticeable due to parallel boot.
But a feasible approach would be to look at which service causes a noticeable delay during boot, and to ask if that can be fixed some way or another.
You already got that recommendation in an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7423

Don't hesitate to ask if there are further questions.

vincentm77 wrote:I trust Mageia to have (after a clean install) the services running that a "normal" user would need (no apache server...)

Well, servers are a different thing then services. The Mageia policy on server daemons (which usually expose your host in a certain way to the network) is that they are usually not enabled after installation,
the administrator would have to enable them explicitly. Popular examples include sshd, mysql, apache and similar.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support