[DONE] KVM & VirtualBox

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[DONE] KVM & VirtualBox

Postby askfor » Sep 25th, '15, 21:33

I have noticed that KVM kernel modules are loaded by default. I have also noticed that there is a VirtualBox package offered for installation. Haven't tried myself, but found several warnings about VirtualBox not working well with KVM modules loaded. I have not tried VirualBox yet, but KVM seems to be working find with images I used on my old Vector Linux installation.

I wonder what happens when one installs VirtualBox. Are KVM modules still loaded by default, or they are replaced by corresponding vbox kernel modules ? KVM better suits my needs at the moment, but there are many ready made VirtualBox images out there offered for download. I suppose some people would want both, not in the same time. I have no problem with removing and loading kernel modules from command line. However, some people might run into problem not knowing that KVM modules are loaded by default. Perhaps there should be some kind of warning somewhere.
Last edited by askfor on Sep 30th, '15, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
askfor

Re: KVM & VirtualBox

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '15, 00:40

Were did you read such warnings? And how should the loaded kvm kernel modules interfere with virtualbox if you don't use KVM?
kvm kernel modules are loaded here by default, and virtualbox works fine - which is no surprise since the kvm modules are not used at all.

And a warning for what issue exactly?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby askfor » Sep 26th, '15, 03:43

Well, I have found several articles, provided some links bellow. However I have never personally tried VirtualBox with KVM modules loaded, or the opposite, because of those articles. If there is no issue, I am glad to hear it. Maybe it was related to older releases.

Generally, I am very pleased with Mageia, an extremely meticulous work, I'd say. I have been using Linux since 1999. Each time I switched to newer release or different distribution, there was always something that didn't work, so I had to look for fix or substitute. Not this time. I migrated everything from older installation in one single afternoon. Never happened to me before.

Here are some links:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15720
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kvm-virtualbox.html

I am sure that more could be easily found.
askfor

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '15, 23:18

Those threads are from 2009 and 2011, hopelessly outdated. Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support