Why knotes does not work ?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Why knotes does not work ?

Postby davidmageia » Sep 21st, '15, 16:05

Hi,

I was happy with knotes with mageia 4 /KDE.
But when I install it in the new mageia 5, nothing seems to work.
I read somewhere that I have to install akonadi (but it's ressource consuming !). Is it the only way to do ?
Actually I am searching a simple software to pick notes on my desktop (and I want that that note stay no the desktop after a reboot ; without launching the software). Any proposal ?
davidmageia

Re: Why knotes does not work ?

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 21st, '15, 18:27

davidmageia wrote:But when I install it in the new mageia 5, nothing seems to work.

What does that mean in particular? If you run it from a terminal, what happens?

davidmageia wrote:I read somewhere that I have to install akonadi (but it's ressource consuming !). Is it the only way to do ?

Akonadi is installed by default, so you don't have to install it. And yes it's the only way as knotes stores its notes in the Akonadi framework. Was the same in Mageia 4, by the way.

davidmageia wrote:Actually I am searching a simple software to pick notes on my desktop (and I want that that note stay no the desktop after a reboot ; without launching the software). Any proposal ?

Some alternatives listed in viewtopic.php?p=58022#p58022
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby davidmageia » Sep 22nd, '15, 08:54

No, akonadi is not installed...
About the launch of knotes : when I click on the icon it launches a window which ask "where to store the notes" but the "ok buttno" is "unclickable". I can just "cancel".

So I try to install akonadi
davidmageia

Postby davidmageia » Sep 24th, '15, 16:26

So it does not work (akonadi works as far as I understand with ps ux command).
When I launch knotes, an icon appears in the notification panel. Then I click on "new note". A windows appears, inviting me to choose the file where to store the notes. But the "ok" button is not active ; only the "cancel" button is clickable.
I can't do anything.
Any idea ?
davidmageia

Postby arnesp » Sep 24th, '15, 18:50

You should have a Notes folder shown in the window.
If you select it by clicking it, the OK button becomes active.
arnesp

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 25th, '15, 01:47

Please show the output of the following command run as your normal user in a terminal

Code: Select all
akonadictl status
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby davidmageia » Sep 25th, '15, 09:55

Here it is :
Akonadi Control: running
Akonadi Server: running
search paths:  ("/home/david/.kde4/lib/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib/plugins/", "/usr/lib/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/usr/lib/kde4/plugins", "/usr/lib/plugins", "/home/david/.kde4/lib/kde4/", "/usr/lib/kde4/")
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search, Akonadi Baloo Search Plugin)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_baloo_indexer, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_notes_agent
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 25th, '15, 23:50, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added code tags
davidmageia

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 25th, '15, 23:52

This is what it looks like here (no clue which agent is used for what, also I don't use Akonadi at all):
[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[23:50:20]─[~] akonadictl status
search paths:  ("/home/doktor5000/.kde4/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins", "/usr/lib64/plugins", "/home/doktor5000/.kde4/lib64/kde4/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/")
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search, Akonadi Baloo Search Plugin)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_baloo_indexer, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_facebook_resource, akonadi_folderarchive_agent, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_invitations_agent, akonadi_kabc_resource, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_kcal_resource, akonadi_kdeaccounts_resource, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_kolabproxy_resource, akonadi_localbookmarks_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mailtransport_dummy_resource, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_nepomuk_feeder, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_nntp_resource, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_skroogeakonadi_resource, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource

If you create a new user, and login as that user in KDE, does knotes work as it should?
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Aug 23rd, '17, 03:13

I have the same problem as davidmageia on my recently re-installed Mageia #5.1 64Bit system. I have never used KNotes before but I needed to yesterday. So same scenario as davidmageia, when I started it up, Select New note > you get the the dialog box to "select the folder where the note will be saved" - 3 options listed: Local Notes; Notes and Notes. Select Local notes > OK > Error message "Note was not Created".

So here is the output of the Akonadi cmd you wanted from davidmageia doktor:

[myles@Bilbo ~]$ akonadictl status
search paths:  ("/home/myles/.kde4/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins", "/usr/lib64/plugins", "/home/myles/.kde4/lib64/kde4/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/")
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_baloo_indexer, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_facebook_resource, akonadi_folderarchive_agent, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_invitations_agent, akonadi_kabc_resource, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_kcal_resource, akonadi_kdeaccounts_resource, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_kolabproxy_resource, akonadi_localbookmarks_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mailtransport_dummy_resource, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_nepomuk_feeder, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_nntp_resource, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_skroogeakonadi_resource, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource
[myles@Bilbo ~]$

Now I also started KNotes via Konsole as you also suggested to davidmageia doktor, and this is where I can see an error message when I attempt to create a KNote:
Below is the error dialog box you get when you try to create a note:

KNotes_new_note_error_msg.jpeg
KNotes_new_note_error_msg.jpeg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2850 times

And the corresponding error in Konsole for this action:

[myles@Bilbo ~]$ knotes
[myles@Bilbo ~]$ knotes(21175) NoteShared::CreateNewNoteJob::slotNoteCreationFinished: "Failed to insert part to database"

I checked that I have KJots installed as was mentioned to davidmageia.

So do I need to install something else to get KNotes to work?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 23rd, '17, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed attachment embedding
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '17, 17:31

Well, I can't reproduce. akonadictl output looks the same here, minus the search path but that could be due to mga6 <> mga5 differences.
You could try asking upstream at https://forum.kde.org/ but you should try after logging in to a freshly created user first, as I did suggest previously.

Apart from that, kjots is just an alternative note taking app, You could just use something else, I'd always prefer to have notes in some format that is not platform dependent using something like plaintext markup or so.
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Aug 24th, '17, 00:15

Thanks doktor once again.
I'll look at that forum sometime later.

But unfortunately it's all for nought!!! I booted my system this morning and taking an image of my SSD and /var (internal partition); had to leave my study for 5 mins, came back and the system was not responding, on reboot - "NO BOOT MANAGER found". I think my SSD (5 years old) has died so until I get a new one; re-install my system and get everything back together again I can't follow this up! :-(
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Sep 18th, '17, 04:52

doktor, A quick update on this. I have now installed Mageia #6 (upgrade from my re-installed, and slightly upgraded #5.1 system, to #6 failed - didn't read the notes on #6 closely enough about updating immediately after install via DVD).
Anyway, when I installed #6 I kept my original /home and /var partitions. When I start KNotes in #6 - same problem as with #5.1. But, interestingly enough, I have installed #5.1 and #6 in Virtualbox (and #6 on a separate partition before I installed in on my original #5.1 partition) - which, of course, have a stock standard /home drive - and when I start KNotes and select to create a new note - a new note is indeed created on the screen!
So, there is obviously something on my /home drive somewhere preventing me from creating a KNote somehow.
I have also done as you suggested and posted in the KDE forum last night.

Here is the output of the Akonadi cmd:
[myles@Bilbo ~]$ akonadictl status
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_invitations_agent, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_tomboynotes_resource, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource
[myles@Bilbo ~]$

Different to the #5.1 cmd output - no search paths and no akonadi_baloo_indexer (maybe some others) but this is the same in the VB versions of the cmd output between #5.1 and #6.

So still none the wiser of what is on my /home - or wherever - that is stopping KNotes functionality.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Gelsenbury » Sep 19th, '17, 17:20

There's something funny going on with KNotes in Mageia 6, for sure. Are you also experiencing the problem that notes can't be moved around the screen smoothly? Whereas other windows can be dragged across the screen as expected, the notes stay in their original location while dragging and only appear at the target location when the mouse button is released. Very odd.
Gelsenbury

Postby Gelsenbury » Jan 19th, '18, 15:41

Nobody else has replied about the jerky movement, but it also happens to me on my new installation. So I have reported it here: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22421
Gelsenbury

Postby Gelsenbury » Nov 1st, '18, 10:11

I don't know how widely KNotes is used these days, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question: Is KNotes working as expected for other people, or are these issues common experiences?

I filed the bug report about the jerky movement across the screen, but have since noticed the more fundamental problem that notes don't reliably persist between sessions. KNotes is visible in the system tray, but shows no notes for several reboots. And then, suddenly after a seemingly random number of reboots, the notes previously taken appear on the screen again. This makes KNotes pretty much useless for me. It's a shame because I like this tool and used to make extensive use of it.

Deleting ~/.config/knotesrc and reinstalling knotes hasn't helped. What else could I try?
Gelsenbury

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 1st, '18, 14:55

Gelsenbury wrote:Is KNotes working as expected for other people, or are these issues common experiences?

Those issues seem to be common experiences for people where the akonadi installation is borked somehow.

FWIW, knotes seems to work just fine here, although I don't use it at all.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support