Console version of mcc/drakconf

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Console version of mcc/drakconf

Postby Phlox » Oct 20th, '21, 18:26

A moment ago I installed magaia in a throw away vm via the network installer iso to test as a server.

I installed it in text only mode with no desktop and I was hoping I could find the text version off mcc in the installation but it wasn't.
With dnf I installed drakconf but with that also came gnome and allot of xorg stuff I don't want to have on a server or on a router/firewall.

Now when I start mcc or drakconf it starts the GUI version of drakconf via ssh X forward but this is not handy.

Is there a text only mode version of drakconf so I don't need all the extra graphical stuff installed?
“Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.” — Captain Kirk
Phlox

Re: Console version of mcc/drakconf

Postby sturmvogel » Oct 20th, '21, 18:55

As mcc is only a graphic frontend for all the invoked modules/config files, there is no "text-mode" mcc as far as i know. You have to edit all your config files in text mode without it.
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Oct 20th, '21, 19:10

I know at least drakx11 and a few other can be launched in text mode, probably all, so you should not need drakconf.
Hmm, have you tried to boot to text mode only and issue drakconf?
If that works or can easly be made to work we could issue an enhancement request of needing less deps.
Anyhow, i know drakconf/MCC works with much lighter desktops than gnome anyway, but you probably have to install desktop before selecting drakconf then.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 20th, '21, 20:54

sturmvogel wrote:there is no "text-mode" mcc as far as i know.

Yes there is. All drakconf modules can also be run as an ncurses version outside an X server.
The package for that is called drakxtools-curses, and it's also mentioned in the description of the package: https://madb.mageia.org/package/show/ap ... ols-curses
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Oct 20th, '21, 21:34

Ah :)

I have them installed, but how to tell them to start in text mode even when i have desktop up?

I also see there is drakxtools-http - " configure your computer through your Web browser: it provides an HTTP interface to the Mageia tools found in the drakxtools package." (Of course beware security implications)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 20th, '21, 23:18

You can't selectively, at least not for every tool. Have a look at e.g. /usr/bin/drakconf

use lib qw(/usr/lib/libDrakX);
use common;

if (check_for_xserver()) {
system("/usr/bin/pkexec", "/usr/libexec/drakconf", @ARGV);
} else {
system("/usr/bin/pkexec", "/usr/libexec/drakxconf", @ARGV);
}

If you run /usr/libexec/drakxconf you get the ncurses version.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Oct 21st, '21, 11:45

Tanks. Launching /usr/libexec/drakxconf in Konsole gives me "textmode MCC"
morgano

Postby xboxboy » Oct 23rd, '21, 03:10

Yes, there is definitely text version of MCC have ended up there several times to rescue systems back in the nasty old Nvidia driver drama days.
xboxboy

Return to Basic support