[SOLVED] Having Chromium use Kwallet

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Having Chromium use Kwallet

Postby kateto » Oct 13th, '21, 21:57

Hello all,
I'm having trouble getting Chromium to use Kwallet. When I start it, Kwallet opens only in the background, and I have to switch windows. When I enter the password, it disappears and nothing seems to happen, Chromium doesn't offer to store any password I enter.
Also, when I run
chromium-browser --password-store=kwallet
from the command line, nothing seems to happen and I get these errors:
Code: Select all
(chromium-browser:48406): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:50:35.319: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2:33: Failed to import: S'ha produït un error en obrir el fitxer /home/ruben/.config/gtk-3.0/window_decorations.css: El fitxer o directori no existeix
[48443:48455:1013/215035.478111:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files
[48443:48455:1013/215035.478178:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(100)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
[48443:48455:1013/215035.478537:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KLauncher.start_service_by_desktop_name: object_path= /KLauncher: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files
[48443:48455:1013/215035.478556:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(72)] Error contacting klauncher to start kwalletd
[48443:48455:1013/215035.478887:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.close: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files[48443:48455:1013/215035.478905:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(418)] Error contacting kwalletd (close)

Does anybody have an idea what this is about?
Last edited by kateto on Oct 16th, '21, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
kateto

Re: Having Chromium use Kwallet

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 13th, '21, 23:02

Have you created a default wallet beforehand, is kwallet enabled in systemsettings, and have you stored any other password in kwallet successfully at all? Also, what Mageia version is this for ?

Also have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE_Wa ... d_Chromium - For current plasma it should be
chromium-browser --password-store=kwallet5
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kateto » Oct 14th, '21, 10:38

Yes, Kwallet seems enabled and it kicks in when I open Chromium, but in the background and after a couple minutes. It uses the default wallet "kdewallet".
I've used the command you wrote above and now Konsole doesn't spit errors, but still Kwallet doesn't appear at all when I type passwords in Chromium even though the Kwallet manager says Chromium is connected to that wallet and Chromium isn't set to remember passwords.
This is Mageia 8, but I've been upgrading on the same system ever since Mageia 5 in 2017, I think. I stopped using Kwallet long time ago when I gave up on KDEPIM and migrated to Thunderbird. I've got some passwords in that wallet but don't recognize them nor have used them for a long time, so I don't mind erasing it all and starting all over. What files should I delete to get a clean slate and better debug the problem?
Packages installed on my system:

kwallet-5.76.0-1.mga8
kwallet-pam-5.20.4-1.mga8
kwalletmanager-handbook-19.04.0-1.mga7
signon-kwallet-extension-20.12.0-1.mga8
kwalletmanager-20.12.0-1.mga8
chromium-browser-stable-94.0.4606.61-1.mga8
kateto

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 14th, '21, 18:47

If you want to remove your current wallet, and reset settings then you should probably close the wallet, exit kwalletmanager5 and also kill any remaining kwalletd process.

Then move away the respective files/folders:

Code: Select all
mv ~/.local/share/kwalletd ~/.local/share/kwalletd-orig
mv ~/.config/kwalletrc ~/.config/kwalletrc-orig
mv ~/.config/kwalletmanager5rc ~/.config/kwalletmanager5rc-orig
mv ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet-orig

Then logout and login again and create a new wallet. Although nowadays there aren't any settings in chromium regarding password store integration, only the mention commandline option --password-store ...
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kateto » Oct 15th, '21, 11:45

OK, I deleted, logged out and back in, and signed into a site with Chromium, then with Konqueror. Chromium opened the new wallet and created a "Chromium Keys" folder there, but all four sections (Passwords, Correspondences, Binary data, Unknown) remain empty, it doesn't ask to store the password, and later doesn't recognize it has ever visited the site. Konqueror, on the other hand correctly asks to store the password, creates the "Form Data" folder, and stores it in the "Correspondences" branch along with the username and site address. So it's official, Chromium ain't storing anything in Kwallet.
However, when I visit the site with Konqueror, it fills in the username but DOESN'T OFFER ANY WAY TO PROVIDE THE PASSWORD. No autofill, no prompt, nothing. Yet it is clear in the Kwallet manager that Konqueror is connected to the wallet. So is Kwallet to blame? How is it supposed to work? Am I doing something wrong?
What should I try next?
kateto

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 15th, '21, 17:04

I don't know, I don't really use kwallet at all. All of my passwords are stored in keepassxc.

For konqueror, did you verify that it actually stored the password in the wallet ? Because form data does not include credentials.
----
doktor5000

Postby kateto » Oct 16th, '21, 09:37

Yes, through Kwallet Manager I see both the username and password stored in the default wallet in the "Form Data" Folder, as a "correspondence" named after the website address. Strangely it doesn't appear as just a password.
I tried allowing Chromium to store passwords, but it only stores them in its own password manager.
kateto

Postby kateto » Oct 16th, '21, 19:54

OK, I found what's going on (I think).
When I killed the process "kwalletd5" and then opened Chromium, suddenly a Kwallet prompt asked to use the default wallet. I closed it without providing any password, and then the browser had seemingly forgotten the stored passwords. I closed and reopened, provided my Mageia login password to the prompt, and this time I saw the missing paswords in chrome://settings/passwords!
So it seems Chromium is actually communicating with Kwallet, but not storing all its paswords within Kwallet, at least not in visible form. Instead, it uses the login password provided by Kwallet at login as a master password to all passwords in its own vault. So, I set a new password on the default wallet and now Kwallet works as a master password to Chromium passwords, which is exactly what I missed. Of course it would be better to see Chromium passwords in Kwallet, but at least no stranger can now launch Chromium and automatically get my passwords without knowing Kwallet's own password, even after I've logged into my desktop.

Postdata: as a bonus, Kwallet controls access to my SSL certificates installed in Chromium as well. Good! :)
kateto

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 16th, '21, 23:30

kateto wrote:Instead, it uses the login password provided by Kwallet at login as a master password to all passwords in its own vault.

Well, yes and no. The default wallet may not be automatically unlocked after login, have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE_Wa ... y_on_login for the requirements for that.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support