[Closed] Succeeded in upgrading to mga8

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Closed] Succeeded in upgrading to mga8

Postby tis » Aug 27th, '21, 21:32

Ty guys, nice job.
The GUI upgrade finished without error (I've installed/upgraded more than 3500 packages). :-)

Screenshot_20210827_202450.png
MGA8
Screenshot_20210827_202450.png (315.73 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Last edited by tis on Sep 16th, '21, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
tis

Re: The full upgrade story

Postby tis » Aug 27th, '21, 22:41

I have a test install on hdd and an another on ssd. I've decided that I will try to upgrade the test linux, but my old hdd is slow and there aren't too much free space on it, so I have to change to a bigger one.
I have nvidia card and I've always found that others had problems on simple kernel version change, so I was afraid bit.

The tasks I had:
1, copy old disk to a new one
2, make new one bootable and test that everything works as previously
3, reorganize computer hardware and replace disk (disk in bays, nvidia from slot2 to slot1)
4, update mga7 to latest
5, upgrade to mga8

To copy the disk I've started ssd mga and installed gparted. I had copied all the partitions separately, so I could set resize too, but no boot record were copied. It did everything well,

but new partitions got different ID-s than the original, so I had to repair/reinstall grub. MCC/system startup did everything well.

I screwed some and everything went to its new place. But after boot network stopped working.
I knew that "nvidia card in slot1 cause" that but I hadn't inspected it till then. I thought maybe something about pcie-lanes, because slot1 uses 16x for vga. But I think I had enough.
The network card id changed from enp5s0 to enp6s0. Also in lspci I realize that bios moved from pci5 to pci6.
I've removed enp6s0 at MCC/network and re-added it and it started to work. I tried changed DHCP to the same static ip and it said that the enp5s0 is started with it. So this was the collision. I removed all two cards and set up enp6s0 and everything is good :-)

after one week test of new harddisk I updated mga7 to newest with white down-arrow in blue circle on tray. (GUI mgaapplet)

I've rebooted and waited for red triangle with white exclamation mark.
DSC_0258.JPG
MGA Upgrade
DSC_0258.JPG (30.96 KiB) Viewed 884 times

I choose start the upgrade and:
it started upgrading ~615 packages, but some minutes later I got the old unsolved screen:
DSC_0257.JPG
Unlock-session
DSC_0257.JPG (70.41 KiB) Viewed 884 times

will it be solved in my life? why don't suspend/switch off the gui upgrade the screenlock and powersave?
so I unlocked session, and found that hdf5 packaged cannot be upgrade now but I could continue.
The upgrade restarted but now it started to upgrade ~2907 packages.
It stopped again on hdf5 and I could continue again, and it restarted with the remained ~400 packages without no more message.
It asked me a reboot.

And now it works well and step 5 lasted only 1.5~2h for me. :-)

Ty
tis

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 28th, '21, 00:18

tis wrote:will it be solved in my life? why don't suspend/switch off the gui upgrade the screenlock and powersave?

Well, why you chose to do that in a GUI session with screen locker still enabled? Release notes mention that it should be run from a terminal session or to disable screen lockers beforehand:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_8_Rel ... m_Mageia_7
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tis » Aug 28th, '21, 08:10

Yeah, it was my fault, that this time I haven't read the upgrade doc and switched off the locker.

But as you can see every process made from GUI intentionally. Most of the utils user-friendly and at least warn me, but this old easy to solve locker "problem".

I think it would be better if the app not just warn then checks and sets all the circumstances it needs. e.g. disk space, locker, AC power pluged, ...

But except this:
Grats, nice job. This is my first mga6 install, - I had installed when I bought this mainboard years ago, - and upgraded twice.

Thanks
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 28th, '21, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
tis

Re: Succeeded in upgrading to mga8

Postby tis » Sep 16th, '21, 21:41

After some weeks in mga8 I can say, yes, thanks guys everything works well I've used in mga7:

And not just the basic functions furthermore external packages too. some example:
- Gaming with nvidia (this may need: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14308)
- Image/photo editing with external packages too
- FFox, Opera, GChrome with webgl/html5 too
- php + apahe + sql ( Drupal8 may not works with php8 --> Drupal9 - https://www.drupal.org/docs/system-requ ... quirements )
- netbeans, gcc, g++, ... (this may need for nvidia: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14309)
- avrc, arduino, PCB design
- android development
- cryptominig, crypto wallets

so I can advice the upgrade...
Thanks
tis

Return to Basic support