[Solved] Evolution does not start

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved] Evolution does not start

Postby Sigurd » Sep 26th, '20, 17:08

Hi,
yesterday it still worked fine. Today I tried to start Evolution again. It appears in the task line and immediatelly after it disappears again. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but no change. When I try to start it in the konsole I get the follwing text.
What can I do here to make it work again?
Kind regards,
Sigurd
Attachments
Evolution Start.jpg
Evolution Start.jpg (343.02 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Last edited by Sigurd on Sep 27th, '20, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Sigurd

Re: Evolution does not start

Postby jibz » Sep 26th, '20, 17:26

Why sudo ?
jibz

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '20, 17:39

Please post the full output (as text, not screenshot) when you run it as your regular user without sudo.

And as already mentioned, please never run any graphical application as root.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sigurd » Sep 26th, '20, 18:38

Code: Select all
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_DE.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (en_DE.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change locale (en_DE.UTF-8)
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (en_DE.UTF-8): No such file or directory
[sigurd@localhost ~]$ evolution

(process:8306): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:35:52.989: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(evolution:8306): Clutter-WARNING **: 18:35:52.989: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".

(evolution:8306): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:35:53.480: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(evolution:8306): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:35:53.592: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
Failed to initialize gtk+: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no available drivers found.
[sigurd@localhost ~]$ ^C
[sigurd@localhost ~]$
Last edited by isadora on Sep 26th, '20, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please place command-output between [CODE]-tags, to improve readability, thanks ahead!!! ;)
Sigurd

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 27th, '20, 01:30

Please post the output of the following commands as regular user, and attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log here.

locale
glxinfo

Can you start evolution successfully like this?
GDK_BACKEND=x11 evolution

In any case, please add some more details - what desktop environment are you trying to start evolution under? Also, are you running a wayland session or a classic X session?
You can try to logout, and in the login manager, if you're running GNOME, choose one of the other sessions like GNOME classic or GNOME on Xorg.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sigurd » Sep 27th, '20, 13:21

Hi,
Evolution is a software that needs care. Sometimes it is not easy to handle. But it is an excellent Mail-Suite. I guess the later (after Evolution) installed Nvidia driver caused the failure. So, I have installed Mageia again. And I first installed the Nvidia driver. Now some applications like Dolphin look a little bit different. But Evolution is running again. Problem solved. Thank you.
Kind regards
Sigurd
Sigurd

Re: [Solved] Evolution does not start

Postby jiml8 » Sep 28th, '20, 04:03

I suggest that you do a "ps -ax" and then manually kill any "evolution" executables that are running.

Then restart evolution.

This is a common problem; I encounter it from time to time.
jiml8

Postby jiml8 » Sep 28th, '20, 04:08

Sigurd wrote:Hi,
Evolution is a software that needs care. Sometimes it is not easy to handle. But it is an excellent Mail-Suite. I guess the later (after Evolution) installed Nvidia driver caused the failure. So, I have installed Mageia again. And I first installed the Nvidia driver. Now some applications like Dolphin look a little bit different. But Evolution is running again. Problem solved. Thank you.
Kind regards
Sigurd

You should never - and I do mean not ever - need to reinstall the OS to solve a problem with a particular application. You "solved" your problem using a sledgehammer where a flyswatter would have done fine.
jiml8

Re: [Solved] Evolution does not start

Postby Sigurd » Sep 28th, '20, 11:32

Hi,
you are probably right. Later I thought I should have erased the evolution files in the home folder first after uninstalling evolution. But I need to receive and send emails. I am chronic sick and the Internet is my contact to the outside.
Kind regards,
Sigurd
Sigurd

Return to Basic support