Cannot change the numbe of virtual desktops

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Cannot change the numbe of virtual desktops

Postby theYogster » Oct 21st, '19, 19:33

Operating System: Mageia 7
Kernel: Linux 5.3.6-desktop-2.mga7
Architecture: x86-64
Desktop: KDE Plasma
I'm fairly new to Mageia and am having difficulties setting things up. The default install provides 4 virtual desktops than can be selected individually by using the mouse scroll wheel. I want to disable this feature but can find nothing relevant in the mouse, keyboard, or desktop settings.
-Where should I be looking to disable the scrolling of virtual desktops?

Alternately, I would be happy to use one and only one desktop. I went into System Settings – Workspace – Desktop Behavior – Virtual Desktops and found a settings window, hoping to adjust the number of virtual desktops. I received a banner error message stating:
--There was an error requesting information from the compositor--
I don't know if this error is related to my problem or if it's significant. A setting for the number of Rows was found but had no visible effect.
-Is this the correct settings panel to set the number of virtual desktops to a quantity of 1, or 0?
-If not, how do I disable, eliminate, or modify virtual desktops so that there is only one?
theYogster

Re: Cannot change the numbe of virtual desktops

Postby magfan » Oct 22nd, '19, 08:49

Try the following:
- right-click somewhere on the desktop
- select "Desktop settings"
- select "Mouse actions"
- Here you can select another behaviour for "vertical scrollwheel" or even remove this option

You can change the number of virtual desktops here:
- start "System settings"
- select "Workspace behaviour"
- select "Virtual desktops"
magfan

Postby theYogster » Oct 22nd, '19, 14:53

magfan - thank you for your very helpful suggestions. I assigned the Mouse Actions, Vertical-Scroll, to Standard Menu. This stopped the unwanted scrolling through the four default desktops.

This topic issue, i.e., setting the number of desktops remains a problem.
theYogster wrote:I would be happy to use one and only one desktop. I went into System Settings – Workspace – Desktop Behavior – Virtual Desktops and found a settings window, hoping to adjust the number of virtual desktops. I received a banner error message stating:
--There was an error requesting information from the compositor--
I don't know if this error is related to my problem or if it's significant. A setting for the number of Rows was found but had no visible effect.
I do not see a setting for the number of desktops in this panel, but I do see one for the number of rows. Changing that has no effect.
theYogster

Postby z » Oct 23rd, '19, 08:08

Right-click on the virtual desktop pager and select either "remove virtual desktop" or "configure desktops".
z

Postby theYogster » Oct 23rd, '19, 15:07

Thank you for pointing out something that should have been obvious. Unfortunately clicking the "-Remove Virtual Desktop" selection did nothing.
I clicked "Configure Pager..." and was able to add Desktop Numbers to the display to prove to myself that the pager does work to some degree.
I logged out and then logged in as root, but the same problem exists there too. I'm at a loss for what to do next.
theYogster

Postby z » Oct 24th, '19, 06:29

Unfortunately, I'm also at a loss. My default installation did not provide multiple desktops, I had to add them afterward, and I am unable to reproduce your issue.
z

Postby theYogster » Oct 24th, '19, 16:12

z- thanks for your reply.
I'm fairly new to Mageia and I can't tell if it's me or the OS itself that has the problem.
I will say, however, it's ominous that something this fundamental does not appear to have a solution.
theYogster

Postby z » Oct 24th, '19, 19:23

Well, I'm no expert myself, just a longtime user of KDE. But, I have never run into this problem previously. The first thing I would try would be to create a new user to see if the problem persists on a login with clean settings. Although, you said the same thing happened as root, so that may not work. Maybe someone else here has some ideas.
z

Return to Basic support