[SOLVED]Having Trouble Running Netflix On FF

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED]Having Trouble Running Netflix On FF

Postby tommieshanahan » Sep 21st, '19, 15:34

Hi Friends,

I am having trouble running Netflix on Firefox. I am not getting any specific error message, but it's just not working. Any thoughts where I could be going wrong?
Last edited by tommieshanahan on Sep 24th, '19, 15:01, edited 2 times in total.
tommieshanahan

Re: Having Trouble Running Netflix On FF

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 22nd, '19, 02:14

Hi there,

if Netflix still uses Flash, then I'd suggest to use Google Chrome instead. The last forum threads here regarding netflix are quite dated, and most people eventually seem to have been successful with Chrome.

If you still want to get it to work with Firefox (and if Netflix still uses Flash as mentioned) then you need a current flash plugin (which is called pepperflash and comes bundled with Google Chrome) and to install freshplayer, which is a wrapper so that firefox can use that plugin. At least that was the situation when I last looked at it, maybe some other Netflix users can chime in and add their 2 cents ;)

In any case, we have both a MAQeia for Chrome viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2053 and one for Flashplayer: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=880
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vinylninja » Sep 22nd, '19, 15:26

No Flash or Chrome is required. Netflix uses HTML5. But you need Widevine.
Firefox is perfectly capable of playing content from Netflix. Open the Firefox preferences and tick the box for playing DRM protected content. Then go to the site and there you will see an icon on the left in the address bar to enable the plugin. The plugin itself is included by default in Firefox.
vinylninja

Postby tommieshanahan » Sep 23rd, '19, 14:06

You are absolutely correct. It was a DRM issue and I got it solved from here. It's really noob friendly in the post.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 23rd, '19, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
tommieshanahan

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 23rd, '19, 23:06

Please also mark your post as solved, by editing the first post and prefixing the subject with [SOLVED], thanks in advance ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support