Gnome folder icon

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Gnome folder icon

Postby alopez » Apr 19th, '19, 20:53

Hi,

Since some time now, gnome uses any picture inside a folder as the folder's icon. I'd like to go back to the old behavior where folder showed the folder icon. Is there any way of telling that to gnome? I don't want to go folder by folder manually setting the folder icon as the folder's icon.

Thanks.
alopez

Re: Gnome folder icon

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 22nd, '19, 01:38

Maybe it can be disabled via gnome-tweak-tool ? Or maybe you can change it in nautilus settings ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby alopez » Apr 22nd, '19, 11:28

Thanks. I had already tried both but none of them provides this option.

Nautilus preferences has something that almost works: the ability to choose whether to show thumbnails only for local files, for every file (even remote), or no file at all. But I'm looking for a fourth option (which doesn't exist in the preferences but could exist by tweaking something) to show thumbnails for all local files but not for folders.
alopez

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 22nd, '19, 17:59

Well, I've not found something how to do that. You can try poking at the dconf settings with dconf-editor to see if you find some key to disable thumbnails for directories.
Check e.g. for the keys below /desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/inode@directory/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby alopez » Apr 22nd, '19, 20:24

That's what I started to do but using gconf-editor which keeps crashing all the time. I didn't know dconf-editor. Hopefully it will, at least, not crash, which will really simplify my task..

Thanks.
alopez

Return to Basic support