issues with simplescreen & recordmydesktop screen recording

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

issues with simplescreen & recordmydesktop screen recording

Postby MadmanRB » Jun 30th, '15, 04:13

I actually like Mageia 5 but man its lacking on the scren recording front.
You got recordmydesktop that barely works anymore
siimplescreen recorder that barely works in Mageia 5
and nothing
No Kazam
No Vokoscreen
Just screen recording tools that just plain suck or dont work anymore.
Meh, I know I could use VLC for screen capture but it tends to be very indirect
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 30th, '15, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted misleading thread title
MadmanRB

Re: Screen recording software is poor on Mageia 5

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '15, 07:20

What do you mean by "barely works" in particular?

Also you might want to try fdesktoprecorder and maybe also byzanz. The latter is only a commandline tool, but it can be used to record to animated .gif files that can be played anywhere without any codec.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '15, 08:41

FWIW, you can try one of those and provide feedback to me
Attachments
vokoscreen-2.4.0-1.mga5.x86_64.rpm
(948.73 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
kazam-1.4.5-3.noarch.rpm
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MadmanRB » Jun 30th, '15, 16:45

doktor5000 wrote:FWIW, you can try one of those and provide feedback to me

Cool. I will try them later.
I am not in Mageia right now but its nice to know they can be available.
I just found it strange that screen recording in mageia seemed to be a bit poop, its got everything else good but screen recording tools seemed to be rather lackluster sorry to say.

Edit: vokoscreen now works, cool!
Kazam however doesnt like my microphone.
Oh well, vokoscreen it is :D
MadmanRB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '15, 20:37

You still didn't answer the question what "barely works" for the others in particular. I tested them and they worked just fine.
Same for fdesktoprecorder which you didn't seem to notice even when I mentioned it.

I cannot confirm on the topic, that "Screen recording software is poor on Mageia 5".
----
doktor5000

Postby MadmanRB » Jun 30th, '15, 21:45

Well simplescreen recorder seems not to function for some reason, it always coughs up errors no matter what I do.
I set the container, I name the file and have all my settings correctly made yet it coughs up an error:
[Muxer::FindCodec] Error: Can't find codec!
[PageRecord::StartOutput] Error: Something went wrong during initialization.
Recordmydesktop is the worst, I have not seen that work since 2008. it hates pulse and even if I install jack for audio it jitters in its efforts to record audio.
MadmanRB

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '15, 22:07

MadmanRB wrote:Well simplescreen recorder seems not to function for some reason, it always coughs up errors no matter what I do.
I set the container, I name the file and have all my settings correctly made yet it coughs up an error:
[Muxer::FindCodec] Error: Can't find codec!
[PageRecord::StartOutput] Error: Something went wrong during initialization.

Works perfectly fine here. Just started it for the first time, selected audio source (monitor of internal audio analog stereo), selected a 1920x1150 rectangle, and the "HighQualityIntermediate" video profile using libx264 with 30 fps.
Recorded normally, paused and then saved it, no issues at all, audio sounds just fine and video quality is good.

As you don't provide any information what settings you have chosen, can't say much more, but what I can say - you definitely did not choose them correctly.
It might also be an idea to simply run it from a terminal and paste the complete output here, as it's pretty verbose and logs everything. Sample log (sadly in german, but it's not effected by LC_ALL=C it seems)

Code: Select all
┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[21:49:23]─[~]
└──╼ simplescreenrecorder
==================== SSR gestartet ====================
SimpleScreenRecorder 0.3.3
Compiled with GCC 4.9.2
Qt: header 4.8.6, lib 4.8.6
libavformat: header 56.4.101, lib 56.4.101
libavcodec: header 56.1.100, lib 56.1.100
libavutil: header 54.7.100, lib 54.7.100
libswscale: header 3.0.100, lib 3.0.100
[CPUFeatures::Detect] CPU Merkmale: mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 avx avx2 bmi1 bmi2
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Generiere Quell-Liste...
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Karte gefunden: [hw:0] HDA Intel PCH
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Gerät gefunden: [hw:0,0] HDA Intel PCH: ALC1150 Analog
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Gerät gefunden: [hw:0,2] HDA Intel PCH: ALC1150 Alt Analog
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Karte gefunden: [hw:1] HDA NVidia
[PulseAudioInput::GetSourceList] Generiere Quell-Liste...
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1.monitor] Monitor of HDA NVidia Digital Stereo (HDMI)
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor] Monitor of Internes Audio Analog Stereo
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo] Internes Audio Analog Stereo
[PulseAudioInput::GetSourceList] Generiere Quell-Liste...
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1.monitor] Monitor of HDA NVidia Digital Stereo (HDMI)
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor] Monitor of Internes Audio Analog Stereo
[SourceNamesCallback] Quelle gefunden: [alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo] Internes Audio Analog Stereo
[PageRecord::StartPage] Start-Seite...
[PageRecord::StartPage] Seite gestartet.
[PageRecord::StartOutput] Ausgabe wird gestoppt...
[Muxer::Init] Verwende Format matroska (Matroska).
[Muxer::AddStream] Verwende Codec libx264 (libx264 H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10).
[VideoEncoder::PrepareStream] Verwende Pixel-Format yuv420
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] using SAR=1/1
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA3 LZCNT BMI2
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] profile High, level 4.2
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] 264 - core 142 - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec - Copyleft 2003-2014 - http://www.videolan.org/x264.html - options: cabac=1 ref=1 deblock=1:0:0 analyse=0x3:0x3 me=dia subme=1 psy=1 psy_rd=1,00:0,00 mixed_ref=0 me_range=16 chroma_me=1 trellis=0 8x8dct=1 cqm=0 deadzone=21,11 fast_pskip=1 chroma_qp_offset=0 threads=8 lookahead_threads=1 sliced_threads=0 nr=0 decimate=1 interlaced=0 bluray_compat=0 constrained_intra=0 bframes=0 weightp=0 keyint=1 keyint_min=1 scenecut=40 intra_refresh=0 rc=crf mbtree=0 crf=15,0 qcomp=0,60 qpmin=0 qpmax=69 qpstep=4 ip_ratio=1,40 aq=1:1,00
[BaseEncoder::EncoderThread] Starte Kodierungs-Prozess.
[Muxer::AddStream] Verwende Codec pcm_s16le (PCM signed 16-bit little-endian).
[AudioEncoder::PrepareStream] Verwende Sample-Format s16i
[BaseEncoder::EncoderThread] Starte Kodierungs-Prozess.
[Muxer::MuxerThread] Muxer-Prozess gestartet.                                                                                                                                                                     
[PageRecord::StartOutput] Ausgabe gestartet.                                                                                                                                                                       
[Synchronizer::SynchronizerThread] Synchronisierungs-Prozess gestartet.                                                                                                                                           
[PageRecord::StartInput] Eingabe wird gestartet...                                                                                                                                                                 
[X11Input::Init] Verwende X11 geteilten Speicher.                                                                                                                                                                 
[X11Input::InputThread] Eingabe-Prozess gestartet.                                                                                                                                                                 
[PageRecord::StartInput] Eingabe gestartet.                                                                                                                                                                       
[PulseAudioInput::InputThread] Eingabe-Prozess gestartet.                                                                                                                                                         
[FastResampler::Resample] Resample Rate ist 1.0000 (war 0.0000).                                                                                                                                                   
[PageRecord::StopOutput] Ausgabe wird angehalten...                                                                                                                                                               
[Synchronizer::~Synchronizer] Stoppe Synchronisierungs-Prozess...                                                                                                                                                 
[Synchronizer::SynchronizerThread] Synchronisierungs-Prozess angehalten.                                                                                                                                           
[Muxer::Finish] Finalisiere Kodierer...                                                                                                                                                                           
[BaseEncoder::EncoderThread] Kodierer wird geleert...                                                                                                                                                             
[BaseEncoder::EncoderThread] Kodierungs-Prozess angehalten.                                                                                                                                                       
[BaseEncoder::EncoderThread] Kodierungs-Prozess angehalten.                                                                                                                                                       
[Muxer::MuxerThread] Muxer-Prozess angehalten.                                                                                                                                                                     
[Muxer::~Muxer] Kodierer werden gestoppt...                                                                                                                                                                       
[Muxer::~Muxer] Warte darauf, dass der Muxer-Prozess angehalten wird...                                                                                                                                           
[BaseEncoder::~BaseEncoder] Stoppe Kodierungs-Prozess...                                                                                                                                                           
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] frame I:998   Avg QP:12,67  size:176384                                                                                                                                                     
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] mb I  I16..4: 65,1%  8,0% 26,9%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] 8x8 transform intra:8,0%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] coded y,uvDC,uvAC intra: 36,4% 15,7% 11,0%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] i16 v,h,dc,p: 56% 41%  3%  1%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] i8 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 19% 27% 22%  7%  5%  4%  5%  4%  8%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] i4 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 30% 36% 11%  4%  4%  3%  4%  3%  5%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] i8c dc,h,v,p: 79% 12%  7%  1%
[libx264 @ 0x1cbdc00] kb/s:42332,12
[BaseEncoder::~BaseEncoder] Stoppe Kodierungs-Prozess...
[PageRecord::StopOutput] Ausgabe angehalten.
[PageRecord::StopInput] Eingabe wird angehalten...
[X11Input::~X11Input] Stoppe Eingabe Prozess...
[X11Input::InputThread] Eingabe-Prozess angehalten.
[PulseAudioInput::~PulseAudioInput] Stopping input thread ...
[PulseAudioInput::InputThread] Eingabe-Prozess angehalten.
[PageRecord::StopInput] Eingabe angehalten.
[PageRecord::StopPage] Seite wird angehalten...
[PageRecord::StopPage] Seite gestoppt.
==================== SSR angehalten ====================

MadmanRB wrote:Recordmydesktop is the worst, I have not seen that work since 2008. it hates pulse and even if I install jack for audio it jitters in its efforts to record audio.

Same here, you don't provide much details. What frontend do you use, the GTK or the Qt one or with no frontend at all? What did you select as audio device?
Short search turns up https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re ... PulseAudio which also has a section about troubleshooting recordmydesktop audio issues
and also offers the alternative options for jack.

After choosing the pulse device, sound is recorded although it is pretty low volume ...
----
doktor5000

Re: issues with simplescreen & recordmydesktop screen record

Postby MadmanRB » Jun 30th, '15, 22:33

Well even running recordmydesktop in commandline didnt give me any help, it just gave the same error it does in the GUI.
Its very strange, perhaps i will clean out some temp files and reinstall it.
As for recordmydesktop, I am using the QT front end and the GTK front end and both fail to use my microphone properly.
I have tried to fix it in the past and even now and still not much to go on, I will try to fix simplescreen first as it has had glitches like this before with me in other distros every so often.
It could be a config file of some kind, its hard to tell

Edit: yeah simplescreen had a bad config file, probably a leftover from my ubuntu install.
Still cant fix recordmydesktop, nothing new there.
MadmanRB

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '15, 07:30

As recordmydesktop can only select pulse as the device, you need to change the recording stream via pavucontrol.
Lots of search results for that, e.g.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... dmydesktop
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st10472896
http://askubuntu.com/questions/148327/u ... myddesktop
----
doktor5000

Postby MadmanRB » Jul 1st, '15, 19:22

yeah I did do that to no effect.
its okay though as other tools fill the job in nicely
MadmanRB

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '15, 21:46

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to The Wizards Lair