Right books about IT/CS fields?

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Right books about IT/CS fields?

Postby BlueHat » Jan 2nd, '15, 05:16

Here we go, i have a question or two, maybe someone can share some insight:
- Now i know that concerning Operating Systems - Linux(Unix) is the way to go. And also is Tanenbaum/his book(s) the way to go/kind of goeroe on this topic.
- Now in programming (i wouldnt start listing languages cause theres to many, altrough if i may try: Python/C/Perl/Ruby) as far as i know Knuth is the right guy to learn something about programming.
- Now i was wondering, whats with the Networks. Ok i do know Cisco is 'the' organisation that even has Cisco certificates. But what about community goeroes/books to get to know this stuff? Something about OSI? (Ok now i remember Vyatta but thats not a book).
- Ok i also remmebered Databases and Oracle here. Also what about it? Ofc i also know that theres Postgres/Maria/Mongo. But thats not books/goeroes.
p.s. Just realized maybe this is indeed the right place to ask about Maria.. ;) [just a side note: Mageia was the first to switch to Maria for who dont know]
(hmm funny/interesting fact about Maria.. Mageia is french/Catholic.. Hence the name..? Just thinking out loud. But to be honest the facts that Larry Wall[perl] and Knuth ['the' programmin teacher] are Christians are also meaningful for me. As also that Tanenbaum/Guido Van Rossum[Python] are Dutch).
And by the way, just remembered here this little list: http://circlesoftrust.blogspot.be/2013/08/what-were-6-hacker-books-mentioned-in.html
{On a side note, im russian, speaking dutch, dreaming to learn french. Thats why Mageia seems to fit to my liking:)But im still getting to know how it works}.
ty, bh
BlueHat

Re: Right books about IT/CS fields?

Postby BlueHat » Jan 3rd, '15, 22:17

I asked the same question to a friend studying CS at University (im just a curious IT guy), and he have suggested thisones:
Computer Networks by Andrew Tanenbaum
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach by James Kurose
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Networks ... 0132126958
Seven Databases In Seven Weeks by Eric Redmond
The Pragmatic Bookshelf можно найти что-нибудь
:)
BlueHat

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 4th, '15, 02:08

Maybe you should make your initial post clearer - it's not obvious to me what reaction you expect and what books you want.
Also what exactly do you mean by IT/CS? information technology/computer science? That's a broad field, you should at least provide more context information on the scope of the books you're looking for.

Maybe have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7668
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby BlueHat » Jan 4th, '15, 11:53

to make a quick reply something along the lines of what i just posted :)
BlueHat

Return to The Wizards Lair