Wife Now Runs Mageia And I'm Still Alive!

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Wife Now Runs Mageia And I'm Still Alive!

Postby yankee495 » Jun 9th, '14, 03:46

My laptop was running dog slow, so bad I started feeling sorry for my wife using her laptop. I mean, Mageia runs really fast so I thought she must be really suffering with Windows. When I ask her about it she said "it's ok, but it blue screens". Then she said "I told you about it, you never listen to me". I remember something about it blue screened but she had already restarted it and never said anything more about it.

About a year ago her HDD just died and I had one I replaced it with. I decided I was not going to install Windows again on an HDD and I would get us both an SSD.

So I got a great deal on a 120GB HyperX from the Microsoft Store on Ebay. Not the 3k, the blue one with the 5k NAND in it, and it was the kit with the little screwdriver etc for $70! That's right, I bought an SSD from the Microsoft Store and put Linux on it! ;)

Anyway, after installing Chrome on it she is very happy. Not one single complaint, none. It also works with our wireless Brother laser printer and she was using LibreOffice on Win7 anyway. I also installed Homerun Kicker which she likes very much. Both of our laptops are SATA II so the drive is limited but it runs really good, a great improvement.

Finally my 240GB PNY XLR8 Pro arrived so I pulled my HDD and installed the PNY and put Mageia 4 on it (was still running Mageia 2).To my surprise my laptop was better but still dog slow. I looked at hers, then mine, hers, then mine, then gave up after cleaning the fan and making sure it wasn't hot etc.

The other night I came in here and started over, looking for the problem. It was running 800 MHz and didn't increase at all.

I made the file
Code: Select all
/etc/modprobe.d/ignore_ppc.conf
and put the line
Code: Select all
options processor ignore_ppc=1
in it and there you go, it works. It is doing a little better at 2.5 GHz!

She was only using 40GB on her HHD so I think 120GB will be fine for her. I'm the one that has all the manuals, docs and tools and stuff. She has 27GB free in root and 69GB free in home so she should be ok. I have 49GB root/166GB home free on mine and both have compilers etc installed because I had to build Homerun Kicker.

I also spent all day Sunday March 30, 2014 building a computer for my neighbor. It is a Intel i5-3570k quad core with 16GB RAM and running Mageia 4. She is also very happy, over two months and no complaints yet. I need to get over there to just answer questions and she if she needs anything.

All in all it will save me a lot of work in the long run because I am tech support for both of them. It's been awhile but the last time I had to go remove something from my neighbors computer it took quite awhile, like 3 hours. The only problem I see in the future now is when upgrade time rolls around, I'm the guy that'll be doing it and fixing it should any problems arise.

I've had Mageia 4 on my desktop since the beta but my laptop was just sitting in here. Now it'll be hooked to my Ham Radio to do the digital modes.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! :lol:
Last edited by yankee495 on Jun 9th, '14, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Re: Wife Now Runs Mageia And I'm Still Alive!

Postby filip » Jun 9th, '14, 07:49

Nice experience. It's good to read that.

Thanks for all your contributions.
filip

Postby benmc » Jun 10th, '14, 03:03

just to add

My wife has a Compaq l/t that came with Win Vista [ shudder ] that was a super slug, i.e. it was faster to go and make a cup of tea than wait for a document to open.
She had been using it for 3 years before M1 became available.
I ran M1 on my own system and after about 6 months to confirm stability, with permission, I dual booted her l/t but left Vista as first boot option.
Within a month she asked that M1 be set to 1st boot.
After M3 was released, and, after confirming stability, I replaced her M1 with M3.
She still has to " go Vista " but only when she has to open a MS office publisher file, which is unsupported by Libre office.
And man, do I hear about it when she has to.
benmc

Postby yankee495 » Jun 10th, '14, 08:01

I know what you mean. Back when Mandriva didn't run something I hated booting to Win-anything.
My wife isn't to the point of saying "Why didn't you do this a long time ago?", but it'll happen.
Everyday day I ask her, still doing ok? She just says yeah, pretty nice.

Now I'm really careful to check comparability before I buy anything, like my Brother Laser Printer.
My friend bought a Canon and can't scan but he got his $30 cheaper than I got mine. Mine also has wifi
and is just a nicer printer, faster etc. He runs Mageia 100% of the time and is stuck with no scanning.
I told him everytime you ask me to scan something for you I'm going to tell you again what a mistake you made!

He hasn't ask.
Main Desktop
yankee495

Postby jiml8 » Jun 12th, '14, 12:05

Now when you get genuinely experienced with Mageia, you will figure out that you really can have it all. You then will go nuts deploying virtual machines, to have every OS you might want or need.

As I write this, my Mageia 4 host has an OpenSUSE 13.1 guest running in VMware Workstation, a distro that started life as Mageia 3 but has been modified beyond recognition (including kernel mods) in another Workstation window, Windows 2000 in Workstation, a FreeBSD installation in Workstation, a Windows 7 installation in Workstation, and a different FreeBSD distribution in Virtualbox.

This assortment is needed in order to support a total of three different commercial projects, for two different clients and for myself. I don't like multi-booting and I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to run everything in this one box. :D
jiml8

Postby yankee495 » Jun 12th, '14, 13:18

I have Fedora 20, XP and Win7 so I have a good start. I just upgraded the main OS drive to a 240GB OCZ Vertex 460 so I have a free 120GB Hyperx 3K that I'm thinking about using for VM's in the future, only ones I'm going to keep because you wouldn't want to use it to install over and over again. I have my VM's on a 2TB HDD now and do know how to move the files and mount them to the VM's.

I've been having quite a good time with Mageia lately. I think I'm going to install Mint in a VM, been wanting to see what all the hype is about. I also bought a couple of books that will be here so I'm going to take a bit of a break from the computer and read some, at least that is the plan.
Main Desktop
yankee495

Return to The Wizards Lair