Purchasing Dell While in USA

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Purchasing Dell While in USA

Postby xboxboy » May 22nd, '14, 04:36

Hi all. I'm hoping some USA folk can help me on this one.

Here in Australia the Dell XPS13 Developer Edition is not available. I have a family member that will be in the USA for several weeks. I would like to know (and I've looked with out luck) if there are any bricks and mortar stores in the USA that stock this particular model? Other wise I'm going to need to do an online order and get Dell to ship it to her motel hoping to get it while she is there.

Or can anyone think of any other tricks that I could do to arrange for this purchase to happen?

Most thankful,
Xboxboy
xboxboy

Re: Purchasing Dell While in USA

Postby jiml8 » May 22nd, '14, 09:23

Stores that I am aware of that carry Dell products include Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Office Max, Office Depot, and Staples. Probably your family member can work through whichever of those is close to where she will be staying.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » May 22nd, '14, 09:25

Uhmm, you can't buy it online and they send it to Australia?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tarakbumba » May 22nd, '14, 10:24

doktor5000 wrote:Uhmm, you can't buy it online and they send it to Australia?

I think there are restrictions, like here, Turkiye. In Turkiye, one can not buy and import to the country online anything which price is much than 150$ according to customs regulations. But one can bring along from other countries. So, many of my friends call their relatives who live outside to buy their needs and bring along to the country when coming for vacation.
tarakbumba

Postby xboxboy » May 22nd, '14, 10:42

Thanks for all the replies! I've since spoken with Dell USA regarding this.

Stores that I am aware of that carry Dell products include Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Office Max, Office Depot, and Staples. Probably your family member can work through whichever of those is close to where she will be staying.

Unfortunately this version is not offered through bricks and mortar stores.

Uhmm, you can't buy it online and they send it to Australia?

No, Dell USA will not ship to Australia. In fact, if I purchase online for delivery in USA using an Australian card, I will need to call the Dell credit team to verify the order before they will even process it.

I think there are restrictions, like here, Turkiye. In Turkiye, one can not buy and import to the country online anything which price is much than 150$ according to customs regulations. But one can bring along from other countries. So, many of my friends call their relatives who live outside to buy their needs and bring along to the country when coming for vacation.

For Australia there are tax/duty implications when the item is over $1,000 excluding freight.

So, it appears I need to order it and get it delivered to a residential/business address, as Dell will not send to motels/hotels. This makes it a bit tricky regarding timing, but I will still keep looking into it to try to make it come together.
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » May 22nd, '14, 22:49

It is a big country. Where will your relative be visiting?
jiml8

Postby xboxboy » May 24th, '14, 05:13

They will be all over the place. But for the last 3 weeks based at a friend of a friends in NY city.
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » May 27th, '14, 08:57

Perhaps someone from the NYC area will see this and offer to help. I personally would be happy to help you, but I live almost at the other end of the continent.
jiml8

Postby xboxboy » May 27th, '14, 10:53

Perhaps someone from the NYC area will see this and offer to help. I personally would be happy to help you, but I live almost at the other end of the continent.

Thanks for that. I recently had someone on the other side of Australia help me with another item. It's amazing how people that have never met can be so amazing through the internet.

I think I have it sorted now: Give it a few weeks then I'll pull the trigger and see how it works out :)
xboxboy

Return to The Wizards Lair