Why is this OS so full of unsatisfied software??

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Why is this OS so full of unsatisfied software??

Postby Exorchist » Apr 28th, '13, 19:58

So, I decided to give Mageia a shot. I have the same problem with both Mageia 2 and 3 RC.

Installing ANYTHING is more or less impossible. The package manager keeps whining about unsatisfied software. Right now I am trying to install google chrome, something which should take me about 20 seconds all in all. After two hours I am prepared to scrap this OS.

First of all chrome is not in default repository - failure right there
Secondly comes all the bloody unsatisfied software.

Chrome was unsatisfied with lsb lib, lsb lib was unsatisfied with libpng12_0, libpng12_0 was unsatisfied with libqtxml4, libqtxml4 was unsatisfied with libQtCore.so.4
By now I have given up trying to do ANY customization or installtion, seeing as this is an endless chain of unsatisfied software (trying to active compiz also failed, saying the system could not find the packages. So why the hell is the option even there??). I have never stumbled upon this issue in any other distro, NEVER!

Oh, and your drivers for my Radeon HD 7730M defaults to the integrated graphics and trying to change them makes the system stall during boot.

All in all I am shocked that these kind of issues can excist in an OS in the year 2013.
Exorchist

Re: Why is this OS so full of unsatisfied software??

Postby jkerr82508 » Apr 28th, '13, 20:16

wrt gooogle-chrome, I followed the MAQeia, and had no problems at all: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2053

If you have properly configured the software sources, then you rarely see the sort of "unsatisfied software" issues that you claim to be common. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_management

You may find a solution for your video driver problems by using the search facility.

Learning how to use a different OS takes a little effort.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby Exorchist » Apr 28th, '13, 20:26

Aaaaah, gotta love those condesending answers. You know this is the first time I've ever had to configure software management? Windows, OSX and a load (all I've tried) of linux distroes has this done for you. What's next? Perhaps just supply a 0 and a 1 so can the user properly configure the rest of the OS themselves?

Thank you for your unhelpful post, but I will spend the next 30 min downloading and installing a different distro and installing chrome on that, instead of spending the next five hours properly configuring my software management system so that I might be able to get one step closer to installing the library that is required by the library that is required by the library that is required by chrome under mageia...
Exorchist

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '13, 20:33

Don't feed the troll!
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pete910 » Apr 28th, '13, 20:57

Exorchist wrote:Aaaaah, gotta love those condesending answers. You know this is the first time I've ever had to configure software management? Windows, OSX and a load (all I've tried) of linux distroes has this done for you. What's next? Perhaps just supply a 0 and a 1 so can the user properly configure the rest of the OS themselves?

Thank you for your unhelpful post, but I will spend the next 30 min downloading and installing a different distro and installing chrome on that, instead of spending the next five hours properly configuring my software management system so that I might be able to get one step closer to installing the library that is required by the library that is required by the library that is required by chrome under mageia...

Cool, Go for it, you wont be missed. Attitudes like that are not needed in Mageia's forums.

There's some extremely helpful people on here that don't warrant the kind of abusive user you come across as, whether intended like that or not !

One has to wonder why you're looking at Mageia if Windows/OSX/other distro works fine for you though. ;)
Maybe because it works fine for so many others you thought you'd give it a go .... :roll: No?
pete910

Postby isadora » Apr 28th, '13, 22:58

Topic is in observation.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby ghmitch » Apr 29th, '13, 02:21

I also am using Chrome and had no problems installing it. I am using "google-chrome-stable_current_i386.rpm". - George
ghmitch

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 29th, '13, 19:31

FWIW, i'm not using chrome often, but had never problems installing either chromium from Mageia default repos,
or directly from Google (which includes updates directly from google) per our MAQeia: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2053
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby yankee495 » May 4th, '13, 05:02

No one mentioned he might have bad media and he never thought of it. If you spent two hours hacking at it you should've spent 10 minutes reading first.

A simple search here would answer just about any question you have. Set up the repos and go from there. Your attitude is not going to help anything.

If you've tried so many OS's you'd think you would've found one you like and learned nothing is perfect and everything comes with instructions.

And yep, crappy OS's still exist in 2013...Windows is still around!
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Postby goprisko » May 5th, '13, 20:54

I just installed Chromium browser using drakpkg (the graphical interface to urpmi)
Installation was clean and automatic.

INDY
goprisko

Postby David_Batson » May 8th, '13, 10:26

Exorchist wrote:First of all chrome is not in default repository - failure right there
Secondly comes all the bloody unsatisfied software.

Chrome was unsatisfied with lsb lib, lsb lib was unsatisfied with libpng12_0, libpng12_0 was unsatisfied with libqtxml4, libqtxml4 was unsatisfied with libQtCore.so.4

I don't know where you got chrome from, but it was compiled with old libraries. That is why you got unsatisfied dependencies. Libpng12 is old. If you got chrome from one of the mageia 2 repositories, you would not have this problem.

I think the problem was that you should have searched for chromium in the Mageia repositories instead of chrome. Chromium is the open source version of chrome. Chromium is in the core release repository for Mageia.
David_Batson

Postby goprisko » May 8th, '13, 14:40

Yesterday, I tried to build java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.19-2.3.9.1.mga2.src.rpm

the build failed, due to a missing libjli.so.0. I looked around and found an rpm with this lib and installed it. Then I looked
further and found this lib in each of the directories, for versions of java on my machine. So, it seems a path variable
need be set.

This is water over the dam, because I went to Oracle's Download page and got jre-7u21-linux-x64.rpm
which installed cleanly. Then I followed directions for an earlier version and updated /etc/alternatives to make this version
the default. Of course, I made the changes necessary for Chromium and Firefox to use it.

BTW: I tried all the various DVD rippers, and Handbrake, hands down makes high quality files that are 10% of the original size. K9copy insisted on breaking the movie into separate files, one per chapter. Acidrip did a credible, fast job of creating
an avi of 700 Mb or so from a movie, within a relatively sort time.

I'm of the opinion that Handbrake should be packaged and made available.

INDY
goprisko

Postby Fargo » May 8th, '13, 23:31

Sorry if I'm feeding a troll. I have only played with Mageia a little, but as much as I want to like it, I too found it kind of confusing to set up the repositories. It seems that nothing is selected by default. I would have thought the basic Mageia repos would have been setup so it would be more newbie friendly.
Fargo

Postby goprisko » May 9th, '13, 01:08

Regarding Depository setup...... . .

If you use the Mageia Control Center's graphical software management tool, (RpmDrake) to setup the repositories, by default
it will identify all the pertinent ones, and automatically enable the most important of those.

However, if you are located in the USA, as I currently am, the US Default Mirror has an incomplete suite of packages. This may be due to problems from US Regulations (undoubtedly). Dealing with this was covered above, and I recommend you go back
through the post above where the solution is specified. To summarize:
1. Bring up the Mageia Control Center.
2. Press the top tab to bring up the Software Management Page
3. Double click on the box adjacent to "Configure media sources for install and update"
4. If nothing is shown, no media mirrors have been selected, otherwise you are using the default mirror, most probably.
5. Delete all the media sources
6. Press CtrlM to specify a specific mirror, or do so by choosing same from the File drop down menu
7. A popup menu appears, choose the right button "Full set of sources"
8. A second popup menu appears asking permisson to download the full mirror list, press the affirmative button.
9. The mirror list is displayed, with mirrors organized by country. Choose the one you want, giving preference to those in the EU or Asia, where software freedom is greatest.
10. Once you have chosen your mirror, press the "OK" button.
11. A list of available media is shown. Choose at least the following:
Core Release
Core Updates
Core Backports
NonFree Release
NonFree Updates
NonFree Backports
Tainted Release
Tainted Updates
Tainted Backports

You can select from the testing suite of media, for the latest and greatest, though unstable stuff.

This should solve most of your problems.

INDY
goprisko

Postby almusalimalmusalimah » May 9th, '13, 04:48

unsatisfied software ...... kind of problem that you will see if

you dont

update your medias info / enable a requested media that these softwares need a package from it

so all you need is update and enable those medias
almusalimalmusalimah

Postby laskachien » May 14th, '13, 11:08

Hello
Oh yes full of unusables softs,it is sometime crazy to config something,or a change change all!!!
Yes Linux is wonderfull but has it s open some crazy put their own ideas,changing the name of things,all are accepted if there is no bug!They think simplify the OS but they complicate it.So I say Linux is for the amusement of developpers not for stable users.But I like it if there is not too frquents updates who change many things you have resolved with patience!!!
Xcuse my bad english I m French
laskachien

Postby mhoke63 » May 19th, '13, 09:04

Mageia uses URPM, which eliminates unsatisfied software issues and dependency hell. Chrome isn't in the official repos, but Chromium is. Chromium, for the most part, is the same as chrome. From a user standpoint, the only difference is the icon has different shades of blue instead of the red-yellow-blue-green. First, make sure you have your repos in place. Go into the mageia control center, select "Configure media sources for install and update". Click the button that says "full set of sources". It will then download the the sources. For simplicity, check the enable checkbox for all except the sources that end in "debug", "testing", or "debug testing" and then click Ok. Then, go into "Install and Remove Software". In the top left corner, there is a dropdown that is automatically set to "Packages with GUI". Switch that to "All". Then in the find box, type "chromium-browser". Select the package for your architecture, and it will automatically select the other packages it needs. Since this software has been specifically packaged for Mageia, you won't have any unsatisfied issues or dependency hell. There are also other ways to do this, but this is the graphical way.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that if there is a piece of software that you want, 19 times out of 20, someone in the Mageia community has already packaged it together neatly in the repos. Check in "install and remove software" before you download it directly from a 3rd party website. This will save time and a lot of frustration since URPM eliminates all the headaches that RPM caused.
mhoke63

Postby mhoke63 » May 19th, '13, 09:11

I will, soon, post a quick start guide for new users. This will include setting up repos. For a new user, especially from someone coming from windows, they don't know to set up repos, let alone how.
mhoke63

Postby jkerr82508 » May 19th, '13, 09:45

mhoke63 wrote:I will, soon, post a quick start guide for new users. This will include setting up repos. For a new user, especially from someone coming from windows, they don't know to set up repos, let alone how.

You could help by improving the existing wiki pages:

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Newcomers_start_here
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Install_medi ... r_beginner

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby mhoke63 » May 19th, '13, 10:21

Personally, I think the guide should be put on the forums. While the wiki pages are good, that isn't where new users look first. Typically, they go to forums when looking for a solution to particular problems. There is a lot of info on those Wiki pages also, more than needed to get a new user started out. What I am putting together (I have had almost zero free time to do as of late) is a quick and simple way of doing things. Define key terms, set up repos, where to find software, and how to do updates. Just a quick and simple guide for new users to start.
mhoke63

Postby doktor5000 » May 19th, '13, 10:45

Forums is not our official documentation platform, and not intended for what you want. Biggest issue is that only
one person can work on such a guide, whereas in a wiki multiple persons can work on the same page and everybody can edit it.

Please extend the existing documentation instead of duplicating stuff. Best add it to the Newcomes_start_here page
and link to it from here in the forums.
----
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » May 19th, '13, 11:19

One problem with posting a HowTo to the forum is that it's soon superseded by newer posts and ends up on page 2, 3 .....299 never to be seen again.
The wiki however is indexed making information easier to find than a forum.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby laskachien » May 19th, '13, 11:44

I m french,first I tried ubuntu horrible and not complete.After I try Mageia2 it is good,then I try Opensuze123 it was wonderfull at the beginig!!!But ALL the packs are installed!!!but not all want work!And an horrible bash shell
So I think when you use a Linux OS you must face full tips to have an OS well working!And to remember all them that s another problem,sometimes you spend much time to search an usefull answer and go crazy.Oh yes the most answers are you have not do this or that.One in the forum say "M forum is not a documentation place"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Appreciate this answer!!!!!!!!!!!I say Linux is not for stable users but for the amusement of some unusefull developpers,the important is that these unusefull pack is working a little
laskachien

Postby mhoke63 » May 19th, '13, 12:03

I get what you're saying about the wiki. I approached it like this, "How does information get to new users the quickest"? New users don't know where to start. They don't know what to ask. And probably the most odd, is that they don't know there is a solution to a problem they don't know they are having. I certainly didn't know these things when I started and the most frustrating thing for me was learning by doing and being afraid to ask because of being labeled stupid. New users leave the platform because of the problems listed above. I agree that it should be a wiki. I remember the old days of Mandrake, on an install, there would be a popup when you logged in the first time regarding joining the community, where to find support, etc. Perhaps it may be helpful to resurrect that popup and have a link, where it says "First time user? click here". That would then link to the wiki page.
mhoke63

Postby doktor5000 » May 19th, '13, 15:06

Well, new users could start by posting "Hey, i'm a new Mageia user, can you please tell me where to begin. I know ... about Linux"
Don't know what the problem is with that. But feel free to post proposals for improvement.

@laskachien: Please don't post in every thread and mangle your personal problems with linux all together, that's unconstructive.
Linux is not only for some amusement for "unuseful" developers. Please stop that trolling, that will help nobody.
----
doktor5000

Next

Return to The Wizards Lair