Why is this OS so full of unsatisfied software??

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Re: Why is this OS so full of unsatisfied software??

Postby laskachien » May 19th, '13, 15:45

I agree that the Mageia Forums are VERY helfull,without them I think I returned to Win...That s not the forum that I critic,it s the fact that in ALL the linux OS there are too much unusefull or exotics packs.And to do the research more difficult all have an exotic name.I suppose I will try to write now a letter,sure I will pass an hour before I find...Mageia had the good idea to put packs in differents dirs bureautic science etc...
Opensuze is more difficult you had to search in a long list of ALL the packs with exotics names.
I think that is the main difficulty for a new.I think and repeat there are too mutch unuseful and exotics packs,a cleanup would be a good idea!!!And make the new users HAPPY
I also thanks'doctor5000" I learn much with him
laskachien

Postby doktor5000 » May 19th, '13, 15:51

Well, maybe it would be a good idea to ask here before you start searching within the thousands of packages. Just ask people here for their opinion what they can recommend if you need some specific software for some use case. Also the diversity is one of the strengths of linux, but at the same time also its weakness. And most people are happy that they have some many software to choose from.
Mostly your problems come from the fact that you start at the wrong end of the problems, and the wrong approach.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby laskachien » May 19th, '13, 16:43

Yes it s that I do.But let me tell you what was my experiences in informatics and I do it MY WAY as F Sinattra sing!!!First My hobby was electronic,then I go to DOS with PCTOOLS.Then I tried the firsts linux,it was horrible to install,it was the time of LILO...Then I go toWin 3.1,then I make programs in C++ for electronic,never unusefull and stupids programs.That was a very good time.I m now 84 and return on Linux since some months,as don t see very well.Yes all is changed,but I repeat too mush gadgets and names too exotics,that is the first difficulties for a new .Yes we can ask,see all the asks I post! But sometimes we are happy to find it by self.

Here is perhaps not the place,we had a very long tread about Firefox and Flashpalyer,you give me the good solution.But when I install Ffox in Opensuze,I was surprised Ffox ask me directly if I want to install FP by Yum !!!It was very usefull,and OK
laskachien

Postby laskachien » May 19th, '13, 18:13

I had to add something I m of another era.Now people likes gadgets,see now the cars are full of gadgets.
In my time it was simpler,but you had to resolve problems with yourself,and so you had to dig more in technicals tips.That true for all OS now,they try to simplify...And doing so it s more complicate.Why have a dozen of shells,one accept su - root the other accept only root!!!So much people are tired with Linux and return to Win.I don t like the today Win,Bill Gates has a Win more simple and technic.So perhaps there should be 2 Linux type of OS one for gadgets amateurs and one for more tecnics explorers?
laskachien

Postby mhoke63 » May 19th, '13, 22:37

That would be great for a nee user to do. From my experience, people here would be more than happy to help new users, I certainly would. But, new users generally don't do that. I think that's usually out of fear for being belittled for not knowing things and admitting to doing stupid things. To give an example of something stupid I did, when I first started with Mandrake, I had a second hard drive I wanted to access, and knowing it was at /dev/hdb, I graphically logged in as root and tried to double click that file to access the drive. Things like that, I think, make a new user afraid to post and ask questions.
mhoke63

Postby doktor5000 » May 19th, '13, 23:27

As this thread doesn't seem to go in a constructive direction, i'll close it.
For particular problems or proposals for improvement, please open separate threads and keep it constructive.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Previous

Return to The Wizards Lair