Fedora 18 installer truly sucks... REVIEW...

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Fedora 18 installer truly sucks... REVIEW...

Postby zxr250cc » Jan 22nd, '13, 10:40

I complained in another area about trying to run the latest LIVE KDE disk and not being able to get to a running desktop because corrupted video kept me from seeing and selecting the correct choices for the license and other selections. Well, not to be outdone by these simple choices, Fedora have redesigned their installer and for the worse, it seems.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-18-kde.html

The install program from them was not good looking in the past but at least it worked. :shock:

ymmv
'We live in the best of all possible worlds!'
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Re: Fedora 18 installer truly sucks... REVIEW...

Postby wobo » Jan 22nd, '13, 11:59

To be fair you could add the other 20 or 30 distributions with "truly sucking" installers, if you think a negative review about another distribution should be interesting for Mageia users.
Or add good reviews about other distributions.

I know, this is the sandbox&play section but I still do not think spreading bad reviews of other distributions are really good or interesting reading at all. Or would you rather see a review about Mageia's problem with wifi in openSuse forum? (1. it's true, 2. openSuse works with the same chip set)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby marast78 » Jan 22nd, '13, 13:04

This is as lame as it gets. Posting on another forum about Fedora being a suckage? Sigh.
If you read Adam's blog, you'd know that the installer is rewritten from scratch, not a single stone remained untouched. As such, it has it's share of problems, that's normal.
Having said that, I had to resort to Ubuntu about a month ago, since update of my (EFI)BIOS resulted in F17 not being able to boot and CentOS 6.3 even not finding bootable device after boot, while Ubu 12.10 worked just fine. I still like Fedora/CentOS, but Ubuntu really has it's pros, especially on the 'polish' side.
But posting this with a link to another site is quite something.. If you wish, I may create a thread on fedoraforums with the link here. Just whistle, it will be done. :roll:
marast78

Postby zxr250cc » Jan 22nd, '13, 16:55

I posted this for a clear reason: If the user experience is bad or does not work then a distribution has a problem. As for SUSE I also use that on one computer and it has wifi trouble with Network Manager just like Mageia has had.

Showing problems with other distributions is for information and hopefully reflection, not a flame bait war. :o

ymmv

cheers
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Postby wobo » Jan 22nd, '13, 18:56

And you really think "Mageia 3 installer truely sucks" would be the correct title you want to post in near future somewhere?
If I were a Fedora guy I would think the matching thoughts about you and forget and I am not really enlightened to read this here in our forum.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby zxr250cc » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:19

My first contact with Linux was a retail package of Red Hat 5.0 in January, 1998 so I am sad to see Fedora make such a mess of their current installer. I will say that they lagged for a long time with what was old as an install program 10 years ago but it certainly had to be better than what they have now.

I have not mentioned any comments about Mageia nor had I planned any. This was meant to be information about a bad direction for a good distribution. Any distribution can make mistakes and get lost, seemingly. ROSA anyone? Rocket Bar? Mandriva? Why are any of us in here now and where did this forum spring from?

Flame away as you wish with the filters you have installed from your own preconceptions. If the install experience with any ANY distribution becomes as bad as the current Fedora one then it also will be a negative experience for those trying to use it. Clearly it would also drive away would be users. See rosa and rocket bar above...

PC in here? I thought this was an essentially Euro site not a USA centric web site where political correctness masquerades as a way to stifle diverse opinions without actually offering a valid alternate argument. :shock:

ymmv

cheers all
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Postby oj » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:51

FWIW I'm currently using Mageia on one laptop because none of the fedora 18 install disks could get 2 seconds into the boot before going stone dead. I tried 6 different images, some burned multiple times (slower speed 2nd time) and tested the DVDs and CDs in other computers... they all booted fine.

The fedora installer just falls over with the specific hardware on this laptop. Hdw detection/config is just about the most important piece of an installer. Looks like Red Hat has a lot of bug squashing to do.

Too bad, because the machines that had fedora 17 on them upgraded to 18 perfectly, in fact just about all prior bugs were fixed with the upgraded systems.

But the user of this one laptop is getting to like Mageia a lot, now that she's using it daily. Indirectly, sort of, fedora's installer has handed Mageia another satisfied user. That sounds good to me. :)
oj

Postby marast78 » Jan 22nd, '13, 19:53

There is no 'alternate' argument. One simply doesn't post bad news about other distros on another forum.
You'd have tons of arguments - on fedoraforum. Maybe that's what you don't want.
I had my Fedora rant as well - on fedoraforum, where it ONLY belongs.
marast78

Postby oj » Jan 22nd, '13, 20:05

Geez, I just now read that "review," it's a mindless rage. So the developers haven't had time yet to brush up the look.. what's the big problem?
oj

Postby isadora » Jan 22nd, '13, 20:28

First: i tried installing Fedora 18 the other day.
And yes, a new look and handling during installation.
But nothing really any problem, just something else.

And now for the topic:
Having followed this topic so far, i think this is leading nowhere.
The opening message/title is nothing like any progressive criticism.
Criticism fine, but yelling around not appreciated.

Topic closed!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to The Wizards Lair