SpaceFM, a very impressive GUI file manager!

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

SpaceFM, a very impressive GUI file manager!

Postby digigold » Jan 9th, '13, 01:37

So I was getting tired of Dolphin the other day and thought I would grab PCManFM. (I always used PCManFM as my GUI file manager on non-KDE installs.) While I was updating my knowledge of current FMs I discovered a fork of PCManFM called SpaceFM.

I am really surprised that I never heard much about this FM. Right out of the box it is very intuitive and easy to use; while at the same time, its' BASH integration is smooth and seamless, and its' plugin engine is incredibly powerful which enables it to be the most robust and as powerful GUI FM I have used to date! (Although in interest of full disclosure, I have probably used the CLI for file management at least 80% of the time.) It runs crazy fast on KDE and since it is written completely in C with GTK+, udev and inotify support; I imagine its' performance on LXDE and the likes is smoking fast.

I remember hearing a couple months ago that Dolphin's lead developer quit the Dolphin dev team completely, leaving its' future with Linux quite questionable. If I had known about SpaceFM before I would have switched long ago.

Anyways, considering that in a search of Mageia's forums for SpaceFM, not a single post shows up, I thought I would share my new-found enthusiasm and encourage others to give it a try. If you're tired of the bloat of most function rich GUI FMs and/or liked PCManFM, you're in for a treat. It's in one of Mageia's media sources (In Cauldron anyways) so installation is a snap.
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
digigold

Re: SpaceFM, a very impressive GUI file manager!

Postby oj » Jan 10th, '13, 01:40

I ran into missing deps trying to install from upstream.

Are you running cauldron? Or did you just enable the cauldron media under Mageia2 (I'll try the latter when I get a free moment)

I'm interested in this for sure. I have to run openbox on this computer, and use pcmanfm to keep the overhead down. The improved integration with the terminal in spacefm will be a big help.

Maybe someone at Mageia could package this officially? Please??
oj

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 10th, '13, 08:28

digigold wrote:It's in one of Mageia's media sources (In Cauldron anyways) so installation is a snap.

Four cauldron version 0.8.4 is in core_release. If you want that on mga2, you can just rebuild it.

Which depedency was missing?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pmithrandir » Jan 10th, '13, 14:05

I'm quite impresed by the screenshot.
They incuded by default lots of root command... which is a good Idea for people who doen't want to touch the konsole so much.

Some questions :
- Are they using the same sortkut as dolphin
- did you encounter difficulties to install it
- Is the team that maintain it big ?
- How does it integrate with the actual mageia design ? Dolphin is quite nicely integrated, i'm curious how this one is.

Thanks,
Pierre
Creator of : http://www.jaiuneidee.net a "direct democracy" website for France.
pmithrandir

Postby digigold » Jan 12th, '13, 12:13

pmithrandir wrote:Some questions :
- Are they using the same sortkut as dolphin

Not sure what you mean exactly the SS below shows some sort options.
pmithrandir wrote: - did you encounter difficulties to install it

None what-so-ever; however, it is packaged in Cauldron which I run, I guess it isn't in MGA2. But there is plenty of documentation on it's homepage, so I doubt this would be much of an issue, just couldn't say for sure.
pmithrandir wrote: - Is the team that maintain it big ?

Seems ample enough so far..
pmithrandir wrote: - How does it integrate with the actual Mageia design ? Dolphin is quite nicely integrated, i'm curious how this one is.

Very well, keep in mind it is extremely customizable. I have included a screenshot of SpaceFM on my Mageia Cauldron w/KDE desktop below:
ss0112133.png
ss0112133.png (323.6 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
digigold

Postby digigold » Jan 12th, '13, 18:41

digigold

Postby marast78 » Jan 12th, '13, 21:25

A bit OT. I never thought that Mattahan's icons would fit together with Oxygen styled widgets. ;)
Not so OT. I tried SpaceFM before. It surely is cusomizable, but for minimalistic desktops, I think Worker is more appropriate. It looks crappy though, so I always resort back to mc. :lol:
I think that SpaceFM is not so very well known, because people either use the DE's default FM, or minimalistic users simply use MC or even nothing and just do their cp/mv/rm/whatever. Why not. ;)
marast78

Postby digigold » Jan 12th, '13, 22:04

marast78 wrote:A bit OT. I never thought that Mattahan's icons would fit together with Oxygen styled widgets. ;)

Yeah Buuf Deuce is definitely my favorite icon set. Paul Davey (Mattahan) is one of my favorite artists altogether.
digigold

Postby rollercomsolutions » Feb 5th, '13, 03:52

Thanks for this great share :D
rollercomsolutions

Postby rollercomsolutions » Feb 5th, '13, 21:37

doktor5000 wrote:
digigold wrote:It's in one of Mageia's media sources (In Cauldron anyways) so installation is a snap.

Four cauldron version 0.8.4 is in core_release. If you want that on mga2, you can just rebuild it.

Which depedency was missing?

missing libudev.so.1
rollercomsolutions

Return to The Wizards Lair