Mageia motto

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Mageia motto

Postby otto » May 23rd, '12, 04:01

:D
Dear Mageia buddies,
I have created a mageia motto at mageia facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Mageia?sk=wall&filter=2
Some users liked it . The motto is the following:
Mageia is the present and the future!
Thus I woud like to include it on Mageia 3 on buggzilla.
Cheers.
:idea:
otto

Re: Mageia motto

Postby Creto » May 23rd, '12, 17:50

Congrats otto!

T+
Creto

Postby trishf42 » May 25th, '12, 14:52

Otto, you need to take this slogan out to the rest of the community, and see what they think - here on the forums, and on the irc channels (#mageia) and on the mageia-discuss mailing list. When you have gathered responses from all these places, we'll have an idea what the whole community feels about it and whether we can use it.
It's not a bug - it's a feature you're asking for, so everyone has to be happy with it!
Trish Fraser
Mageiata
Atelier Team
trishf42

Postby otto » May 25th, '12, 18:02

trishf42 wrote: trishf4

:)
Thanks a lot trishf4 for the hints. I'll put this slogan to the rest of the community in order to see what they think.Afterwards, I' will use the irc channels (#mageia) and on the mageia-discuss mailing list.I appreciated your attention.
Cheers.
PS: I already sent to the mageia-discuss and the irc Channel # mageia.
otto

Postby padula » May 27th, '12, 02:34

otto wrote:
trishf42 wrote: trishf4

:)
Thanks a lot trishf4 for the hints. I'll put this slogan to the rest of the community in order to see what they think.Afterwards, I' will use the irc channels (#mageia) and on the mageia-discuss mailing list.I appreciated your attention.
Cheers.
PS: I already sent to the mageia-discuss and the irc Channel # mageia.

Otto, also liked opinion about the matter need to put in the forum mageia Brazil too ...
linux user:520434
team leader Forum Mageia Brazil
team translator pt-BR
padula

Postby artificeprime » May 27th, '12, 03:27

I like it. But would this small change not give it more impact?

"Mageia for the present and the future!"
CPU: P4 3.2GHz (Northwood); Mobo: Intel D865PERL; RAM: 3GiB DDR400; VPU: ATI Radeon HD4650 (1GiB); Display: Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD; Sound: integrated ICH5 AC'97; OS: Mageia 5 (i586)
artificeprime

Postby wobo » May 27th, '12, 10:03

artificeprime wrote:I like it. But would this small change not give it more impact?
"Mageia for the present and the future!"

This small change turns the meaning as posted by the initial poster into something different.

Apart from that:
1. Do we really need a motto? What for? What benefits does a motto have in this context?
2. If we need/want a motto, what about the already well known "...the magic continues!" ?
3. As for "Mageia is the present and the future" - how about making it a bit more "snappy", like "Mageia, the presence, the future!"

OTOH this is a motto which has been used too often by marketing, from political groups/parties to consumer goods like washing powder to religious statements. IMHO it is too generic, equal to the often used "Foo, just use the best!".
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby artificeprime » May 28th, '12, 19:55

wobo wrote:This small change turns the meaning as posted by the initial poster into something different.

Yes, that was intentional. I find that "being the future" comes off as nebulous. However, if Otto means "Mageia: the future of Linux!", then perhaps we should say that.

My suggestion was purely emotional; based on how I felt (and now feel) about Mageia. During the rough patch when Mandriva's impending doom seemed immenent, my gut response was I would follow the "spirit" of Mandriva wherever it went. When Mageia forked, my feelings were mixed (having been with Mandrake/Mandriva for so long — I'm not a distro hopper), and my reaction was to try out Mageia "for the present" and see how things went, with the hope of returning to Mandriva if and when they got their dirty laundry sorted (or worst case scenario, I would probably have swtiched to Arch). Of course, it turns out I loved Mageia 1 so much that I've certainly been considering sticking with it "for the future". Also, changing "is" to "for" made Otto's motto remind me of the "spirit" in an early Mageia blog post that divulged all the forward and long-term thinking going into Mageia's plan. I was really impressed. Anyhow, that's just my crazy 2¢ rationale. :D

wobo wrote:If we need/want a motto, what about the already well known "...the magic continues!"

Ooh. I forgot about that one. That already (and totally) conveys what I was say above: the magic of Mandrake/Mandriva living on in Mageia. So yeah, by that score, we're good. :lol:

wobo wrote:IMHO it is too generic, equal to the often used "Foo, just use the best!".

Precisely. And too nebulous.
CPU: P4 3.2GHz (Northwood); Mobo: Intel D865PERL; RAM: 3GiB DDR400; VPU: ATI Radeon HD4650 (1GiB); Display: Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD; Sound: integrated ICH5 AC'97; OS: Mageia 5 (i586)
artificeprime

Return to The Wizards Lair