Let Mandriva go...

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Let Mandriva go...

Postby andre » May 15th, '12, 10:41

Hi there!

While I understand that many of you were with Mandrake/Mandriva since immemorial ages (and that's good, because it means it was a good distro for you) and that I have no feelings towards it (good or bad) becaus I was not an user, I think it is time to stop comparing Mageia with Mandriva or trying to make Mageia "The New Mandriva".
We are aproaching our 2nd release, so it is time to cut with the past and establish a personal identity and direction (respecting and honoring your ancestors is good, but you must not live for their memory).

Sometimes, when I come to the forums I start wondering what would happen if Mandriva suddenly opened up a little more to the community and also made a brilliant move of any other kind. Would Mageia vanish? Would it merge with Mandriva? Would the community go back to Mandriva and leave Mageia for the few who would still believe in the project?

I know that the teams are dedicated to Mageia and that they are doing their best (while sometimes I wish it could be better, I know they are doing what they can and, given time, it will be even better that I dreamed), but I'm tired of hearing Mandriva references for about any subject in Mageia.

I'm sorry if my rambling hurt your feelings and/or your memory, it wasn't that my intention. Now you can bash me and flame me as you like, I probably deserve it.
andre

Re: Let Mandriva go...

Postby wobo » May 15th, '12, 11:40

Nobody (with an attitude matching our community) will flame or bash you - we are not in the Mandriva forum with all those "professional flamers". :)

Well, I guess some users will return to Mandriva when the distro issued by Mandriva would suit their individual taste better than Mageia. Others may leave Mandriva and join Mageia for the same reason - this is normal and happens all the time.

Otherwise: only few keep comparing Mandriva with Mageia. There are more users comparing Mageia with Ubuntu or any other distribution they came from. Same with references, I don't see any "Mandriva references for about any subject in Mageia". May be I misunderstand this sentence.

Yes, the teams are doing their best - so it can not get better, except when more people join them.

Now, what have these points to do with the title "Let Mandriva go" ?
I think, if someone is a dedicated Mandriva user he would not be here anyway. The people are here because they like something in Mageia more than in other distributions. That's the usual reason to be active in a forum.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Re: Let Mandriva go...

Postby Creto » May 16th, '12, 00:58

Hello all,

This is most true, the Mageia already has its own identity and a very good sign.

wobo wrote:
Now, what have these points to do with the title "Let Mandriva go" ?
I think, if someone is a dedicated Mandriva user he would not be here anyway. The people are here because they like something in Mageia more than in other distributions. That's the usual reason to be active in a forum.

The Mageia will still give the talk as we say here in Brazil.

Greets
Creto

Return to The Wizards Lair