A letter from Mandriva's CEO to The community

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

A letter from Mandriva's CEO to The community

Postby otto » May 11th, '12, 19:05

:D
Dear Mageia buddies,
I've heard the new mandriva want to focus on community. There are some gossips they intend to give an aproach to Mageia to work together with Mageia.I'm not sure this is true or not. But they intend to become a community version too.
Quotation:
"Dear Community,

as promised, here is a short update on what has been reached and where we’re going.
The echo from the Community is very impressive. Mandriva Linux still has its supporters and fans, but I also felt your disappointment over the years and the lack of information during the past months certainly is a key to explain why many of you felt left alone with nobody holding the steering wheel. This was never the case. We have had probably the most turbulent times that Mandriva SA ever experienced and I’m happy that this is over for now. I could unfortunately not communicate accordingly as this may have compromised our future. The moves to solve the difficulties were really like walking on eggs, with every announcement potentially being fatal for the issue of the negotiations.

The difficult situation we have experienced has many different reasons which I can’t and will not disclose here, as some are covered by non-disclosure agreements and some other related to the past and we all know that the past cannot be changed. My duty is to take the past into account and try not to make the same mistakes. This is far from easy, considering that we are a commercial company with paid employees who rely on the operations to live and shareholders who finance the company every month and want to see the results. The main reason why Mandriva SA regulary had difficulties is that, in the past, the elementary rule of revenue covering costs has not been respected. This has to be changed, there are ways to achieve this goal, but it means that we must find alternative ways to work and promote the products that have a chance right now on the market.

The Mandriva Linux project has the right to be given a space in which it may expand and the contributors and afficionados a place where they can express their talents. We are precisely working on this right now and during the next two weeks. We will announce the direction we intend to give to the project during the third week of May. It makes no doubt that it’ll be difficult to satisfy each an every expectation and wish, as they’re many of them and some are not compatible with the other, but we’ll try to achieve what can be useful and most promising for the community and, with it, the Mandriva Linux project. Stay tuned and do not hesitate to use the community@mandriva.com email address in the meantime. We’re still listening and also answer to the numerous emails received!"

Source: Mandriva .
:o
Last edited by otto on May 12th, '12, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
otto

Re: A letter from Mandriva's CEO to The community

Postby wobo » May 11th, '12, 19:49

Yes, this is an old one from 10 days ago. There was another after that one and then another related to the company.
As JM is not saying anything new in this "letter" and as most of us are not the Mandriva community this was not discussed very much here.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby otto » May 11th, '12, 20:05

wobo wrote:Yes, this is an old one from 10 days ago. There was another after that one and then another related to the company.
As JM is not saying anything new in this "letter" and as most of us are not the Mandriva community this was not discussed very much here.

:)
Thanks wobo for the news.What about Mageia interact with Mandriva in time to come? Some agreement together of both in the future? Is that true? I've heard both will join to to create a community mandriva version.Mandriva will be the paying distro and Mageia will supply the community version. Mandriva will be a kind of "Red Hat" and Mageia a kind of "fedora".Is it only a scuttlebutt ?
Cheers.
:?:
otto

Postby Lebarhon » May 11th, '12, 21:28

otto wrote:Mandriva will be a kind of "Red Hat" and Mageia a kind of "fedora".

Where do you place Hupstream in this set-up ?
Lebarhon

Postby otto » May 11th, '12, 21:48

Lebarhon wrote:
otto wrote:Mandriva will be a kind of "Red Hat" and Mageia a kind of "fedora".

Where do you place Hupstream in this set-up ?

This should be a rumour. I have read at a mandriva site.
:arrow:
otto

Postby wobo » May 12th, '12, 00:21

Nice example for roumors without any facts to back them up. In the Mandriva forum you can read them by the dozens, one guess wilder than the other. If those people would look close enough they could rule out 99% as unreal.

Hupstream is not related to this issue. Hupstream is a company by itself which offers business solutions and support based on Mageia. Hupstream has no voice nor any function in the Mageia organisation. The only connection between Hupstream and Mageia is on a personal level (the Hupstream people are members of the Mageia organisation).
wobo
---
wobo

Postby obgr_seneca » May 12th, '12, 00:32

As I see it, there is no merge of any kind, but of course there may be a cooperation inside the established rules of the Mageia organization.
So, no we won't be a "Fedora" to mandriva as Fedora is to RedHat, because we value our independance and we have an organizational structure, that is based on a democratically elected ruling body (the council and the board).
So if there is any kind of cooperation, Mandriva has to recognize us being independent and them not having a vote unless at some time, there will be some Mandriva person elected democratically into council or board.
The relationship between Redhat and Fedora or SuSE and openSUSE are different. Those communities are _not_ independent from their "mother companies".

Oliver
Linux - free choice for free people
obgr_seneca

Postby wobo » May 12th, '12, 00:38

That's what I meant with "If those people would look close enough they could rule out 99% as unreal."
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ghmitch » May 12th, '12, 01:06

obgr_seneca wrote:As I see it, there is no merge of any kind, but of course there may be a cooperation inside the established rules of the Mageia organization.
So, no we won't be a "Fedora" to mandriva as Fedora is to RedHat, because we value our independance and we have an organizational structure, that is based on a democratically elected ruling body (the council and the board).

If Mageia were to become Mandriva's Fedora, it would be the kiss of death for Mageia as we know it, with a HUGE risk of all the former problems recurring again. And there is absolutely no rhyme or reason for such a structure. There is PLENTY of room for cooperation without any need for organizational relationship. Mageia are free as it is to build on Mandriva innovations (if that ever starts to happen again) and for sure Mandriva are free to build on Mageia innovations and people in the respective communities are free to intermix informally and socially. All this longing for some sort of formal organizational ties are just silly desires to engage in unhealthy co-dependency. Right now Mandriva (THE COMPANY) probably needs Mageia more than the other way around. Mandriva (THE COMPANY) is a boat anchor and a lot of people still on the Mandriva (THE COMMUNITY) side haven't seemed to figure that out. - George
ghmitch

Postby ferri » May 12th, '12, 05:35

I am very curious what will be in the plan for the next Mandriva Linux.
They promised to disclose it next week (third week of May) in this article.
ferri

Postby otto » May 12th, '12, 19:22

ferri wrote:I am very curious what will be in the plan for the next Mandriva Linux.

I don't think so. They're going on working in development.They're planning for 2012.It Will be discussed after the 14 of may.View at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012_Develo ... d_delivery and at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ideas_Mandriva_2012.0
otto

Postby ferri » May 12th, '12, 20:01

otto wrote:
ferri wrote:I am very curious what will be in the plan for the next Mandriva Linux.

I don't think so. They're going on working in development.They're planning for 2012.It Will be discussed after the 14 of may.View at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012_Develo ... d_delivery and at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ideas_Mandriva_2012.0

We will announce the direction we intend to give to the project during the third week of May. - promise from the letter at the top
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ideas_Mandriva_2012.0 - According history of the wiki page the last record was on 5 July 2011
ferri

Postby wobo » May 13th, '12, 05:58

So why don't you wait until the company discloses its plans and strategy (including their plans about the distribution) instead of speculating about things nobody knows yet?
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ferri » May 13th, '12, 06:08

wobo wrote:So why don't you wait until the company discloses its plans and strategy (including their plans about the distribution) instead of speculating about things nobody knows yet?

I fully agree.
But for information, here http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012_Development is first date - Technology Preview 31. 5. 2012.
ferri

Postby wobo » May 13th, '12, 08:20

ferri wrote:But for information, here http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012_Development is first date - Technology Preview 31. 5. 2012.

How reiiable is this information? The page is maintained by Per Oyvind, who may be responsible for future development - or may be not. Don't take anything in the wiki for official, it is a community wiki where everybody can write things while the contents may be authorized and true - or may be not.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ferri » May 13th, '12, 15:08

wobo wrote:Don't take anything in the wiki for official, it is a community wiki where everybody can write things while the contents may be authorized and true - or may be not.

You are right.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/index.php?t ... on=history
Some people want to be interesting at all costs. :(
ferri

Postby wobo » May 13th, '12, 21:20

Concerning the wiki page, just to prove that I was right with my assessment of that page and the value of the "news" on MIB:
To sum up for others:

- proyvind (Per Øyvind Karlsen) started creating a development planning table with release milestones and placeholder dates, noted himself as de-facto project manager, and identified two release managers.
- aginies (Antoine Giniès) wiped out the page and replaced it with "Will be discussed after the 14 of May."
- proyvind put it all back with the comment "May 14th decissions is not what currently holds back announcements."
- aginies wiped it out again and replaced it with:
PLEASE STOP EIDTING THIS PAGE.
This is a Mandriva ONE. Only Mandriva's employee are abilited to decide the Mandriva futur, take decision, promote people to some grade.
Regards.
Antoine Giniès.

Source: http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic. ... 60#p856816

So pls stop assuming and speculating until we have authorized official information from first hand.

Not that it concerns Mageia in an important way....
wobo
---
wobo

Postby isolde » May 14th, '12, 14:41

This takes me back to the days of my youth, growing up during the Cold War when the Soviet Union was churning out a succession of elderly leaders and the media in the West was speculating almost daily as to whether the current leader was still alive or not :D
isolde

Return to The Wizards Lair