The Way Forward

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

The Way Forward

Postby Garthhh » Dec 25th, '11, 04:16

I've been test driving many different distros since I've come to the world of linux [hdd died on my laptop]

a few requirements
user friendly. [gui's]
plays well with the different google apps
stable, ideally I could stick with the same release for 5+ years
I would like to be able to recommend, when XP reaches the end in a year or so

for a while there I really liked Mint, which has lots of nice features that make it user friendly
all was well until I tried to sync files across my home network using ssh & grsync, which I never did get to work
I was ignored & then abused, I came to find out with the help of someone wiser than me, that you can't get there from here on mint, which is fine
but I was put off by the treatment on the forum

back to ubun
in the meantime I got Virtualbox going, which makes doing distro shopping much easier
along comes canonical's little pissing contest with gnome
which begat the unity DE [desktop environment ]
unity doesn't respect WS [workspaces], this screws up my workflow, I share this notebook with my wife, her stuff is always on WS #1
over on the ubun forum, I ended up getting moderated for asking what the topic was on 3000+ post long thread, where any dissent about Unity ended up
so I went on the complaint section, as directed by one of the moderators, where one of the higher ups kept offering to delete my account
Now I don't mind the moderators keeping order, but when I see moderation as a tool to suppress legitimate descent
it makes me wonder

community is important, especially when it is one of the primary help resources
there may be moderators here, but it would be hard for me to know :D
all the greybeards here are patient & respectful

Mageia +1 on community

I'm no developer, but it seems to be a good idea to be close to the source of the code
that leads to debian or RH [redhat]...
there seem to be more community based distro's on the deb side, removing the forks of ubun, wipes out most of those
Debian isn't very user friendly & the greybeards they can be a bit rigid about some subjects
over to RH,
Fedora couldn't by any stretch be described as user friendly
Centos almost works
I understand that RH pays the bills through support, though I have yet to see any way to install RH, without paying for support
not that RH could be thought of as userfriendly
suse is very much up in the air with the new owners & all
I have likened Mageia to the open office - Libre Office dynamic more than once
a corporate project that forked after the less than benevolent overlords decided to go a different direction

I don't quite follow why gnome 2 isn't supported if RH is running it until 2017?
G3 is the future, I'm sure there will continue to be a nice fallback version that will run on older hardware

just a few thoughts on why I think my future is Mageia
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Re: The Way Forward

Postby isadora » Dec 25th, '11, 13:16

Moderators, yeah well..........they are around. ;-)

Thank you for your contribution.
Pleasant reading, and great to read your Linux-future is with Mageia!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Dec 25th, '11, 13:54

Garthhh wrote:a few requirements ...

You mention some places where people were not very friendly. I'm one of those greybeards and I tell you, there's a large variety of forums, each of them has it's own way and the residents like it as it is. Either I like it or I leave without putting up a discussion because chances are that they will nto like my way either. That's quite normal and not something I'd complain about elsewhere.

If you like the way people here are acting (including the moderators :D ), you're very welcome and we're pleased to have you here.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Garthhh » Jan 13th, '12, 16:01

Friendly is nice, but helpful is what I'm looking for
I'm not above a bit of the old give & take, [I'm a greybeard other places]
places like gentoo & debian are a bit too dogmatic, in the end I need things to work, if it's more than a cut n paste job, I get lost
this isn't to say I don't care about the big picture [open source]
things like intellectual property & net neutrality matter
bittorrent is amazing technology, a local area network to the 10th power
I make sure when there is an opportunity to express an opinion about keeping the interweb open with the powers that be [FCC] I do
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Return to The Wizards Lair