COMPUTER INTELLIGENCE

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

COMPUTER INTELLIGENCE

Postby yew21 » Apr 12th, '21, 05:45

COMPUTER INTELLIGENCE

What is computer intelligence. It is a new form of intelligence. It is different from the human intelligence in basic characteristics. It is not the artificial intelligence, or AI, which is just a clone of human intelligence on the computer.

Similar to the human intelligence, which is passed down from one generation to the next, computer intelligence also has humans as its parents. But once born, computer intelligence, unlike AI, will grow according to its own independent characteristics. The parenting by human, however, takes U turn in that computer intelligence will take the lead. In the interaction between human and computer, the minute after human initiates a joint task, computer intelligence will guide the human with questions, which human will answer until computer intelligence decide the problem is solved. In interaction, human’s intelligence would grow individually, while the computer intelligence, cumulatively and collectively for future use by all other humans.

In its embryonic state, computer intelligence has already been observed as having the following characteristics that are far beyond the equivalent of the human brain:
1. Logical and systematic thinking process
2. Potentially unlimited speed and memory
3. Approaching zero-error tolerance in performance

In this paper, computer intelligence will be shown to take its first baby step. But more importantly, the purpose for this presentation is to remove the obstacle to computer intelligence’s formal debut into the scientific world as the main tool for humanity’s technological pursuit.

This obstacle, ironically, is its fake twin, AI. Much like how mainframe computers, workstations and supercomputers have largely been replaced by PC and mobile phones, courtesy of couple of college dropouts, AI has infiltrated into serious works of futuristic high techs by way of it popularity in social networking, bringing with it the flaws of the human brain.

We first need to upgrade the human intelligence to be compatible to that of computer, not drag down the computer to that of humans as in AI.

Humans are the sources of all errors in computer work. Today, our scientific and technological pursuits are moved artificially from the paper and pen environment to the most accessible computing tools. In so doing, AI inadvertently has prevented us from entering the age of computing!

I am not trying to knock human intelligence. It is only that human needs to change his role with respect to computer. Instead of treating computer as just another tool, we need to treat it as an equal partner.

In order to ushering in the age of computer, we need to welcome the computer in a formal and collective way. That is, we need to assemble the best of human minds to collaborate with the high ends of computers to develop computer’s intelligence.

So, let’s sit back and watch how this is done when computer intelligence takes its first baby step here.

We shall use the simplified problem of turtle and rabbit. First, let’s, for comparison, go through the human, or AI, way of solving the problem:
Turtle speed = 1 mile/hour
Rabbit speed = 3 miles/hour
Turtle is ahead by 10 miles.
How long will rabbit catch up with turtle:
The human brain will somehow come with the formula:
Time to catch up =
distance rabbit is behind divided by (rabbit speed – turtle speed)
Substituting the initial parameters into the above statement:
10/(3-1)=10/2=5
Now let’s see how computer intelligence would solve the problem.

At first encounter, computer intelligence, or CI, may not appear as smart as human intelligence. To start the problem, it always asks what is the desired answer, which is:
Time for rabbit to catch up with turtle?

Although CI is not that smart, but it has potentially unlimited intelligence. So, it will lead the solution of the problem from beginning to the end.

To continue, CI reprints out the description of the answer, along with a menu of 15 options containing a large assortment of operations and processes that could be chosen to initiate the processing of the answer.
The first five of the 15 options are:
1. INPUT variable
2. ADD 2 variables
3. SUBTRA 2 variables
4. MULTIP 2 variables
5. DIVIDE 2 variables

This requires the user to first come up, in his mind, the simplest possible expression that best describe the answer. It is:
(distance rabbit is behind) divided by (difference in speed)
Thus, he should click the 5th option “DIVIDE 2 variab” for the “/”(divide) operation.
Then CI solicits for the two operands needed for a division operation.
So CI asks:
DESCRIBE 1ST VARIAB?
User enters:
distance rabbit is behind
CI then asks:
DESCRIBE 2ND VARIAB?
User answers:
Difference in speeds
Again, CI prints out the 1st variable “distance rabbit is behind” along with the 15 options. This time the user chooses the 1st option, “INPUT variable”, since this variable is to be inputted.
CI then prints out the 2nd variable: “difference in speeds”, again with the 15 options. This time the user chooses option 3: “SUBTRA 2 variab” to accommodate the expression in his mind, which is:
Difference in speeds = rabbit speed – turtle speed
Then CI again solicits for the two operands needed for the SUBTRA operation.
So CI asks:
DESCRIBE 1ST VARIAB?
User enters:
rabbit speed
CI then asks:
DESCRIBE 2ND VARIAB?
User answers:
turtle speed

Since both of above two variables are INPUT variables, and even though CI is not too smart, but it is unlimitedly intelligent to figure out that the problem has been solved and goes ahead to generate a FORTRAN program that CI would automatically compile and execute, allowing the program to ask for the input variables and write out the answer.

By now you might have sensed that we are doing natural-language programming. Well, the real fact is that it was exactly because I got stuck with AI in developing the natural-language programming program that I succumbed to computer’s repeatedly beating on my head calling me to: ”Do it my way!” that gives birth to CI. Now CI is the engine of natural-language programming.

Admittedly, human intelligence and AI are much direct and simple, but it thus far only allowed us to solve less than 1% of problems.

Just imagine for any real-world problem, how could our brain hold all the initial values and boundary conditions, not to mention the ever so elusive and magical mathematical formula representative of the physical or social problem.

Why, on the other hand, using CI, the equation E=MC**2, that made Einstein the smartest person in the world, was only a no-brain algebraic manipulation based on the Maxwell’s Expression.

Also, the space nuclear reactor SP-100 design project in Ronald Reagan’s Star War project, needed a 6 man-labor, 6-month time to complete at the General Electric Company, yet still only produced dubious results. So, we tried to use CI to double check. It only took me 2 mouths to finish the task and discovered 6 errors in the previous manual process.

Then, when George Bush decided to go to Jupiter, the Jupiter exploration nuclear reactor design project only took two weeks to complete. And the aftermath design optimization can be done with only a few punching at the keyboard and mouse buttons.

While, just as with the invention of computer, where we retreat from counting from 0 to 10, to that of 0 to 1, CI also retreats to the smallest steps possible, as in the first few binary operations of +,-,*,/. But in so doing, CI would also be able to expand its capability without limit.

Another reason why the steps are minimized is that all the interaction between the computer and human are recorded verbatim, so that they could be played back to duplicate the same task automatically, by what we called “software robots”.

This is an extremely handy and powerful feature of CI in that it allows humans to use the computers as scratch pads for thinking, through try and error, until CI tell you that the problem is solved.
Before finishing this presentation on CI, let me disclose its unfinished portion. It’s the multi-branching feature of the IF-THEN loops.

I was able to develop and test a single-loop version. The algorithm involved such large-scale data swapping that the whole natural language programming program became nearly unmanageable. I finally decided not to risk getting trapped in this potentially unescapable maze.

This multi-branch feature is how CI will definitively surpass human intelligence. Now, for such a huge task, my very own qualification is in question. I really need to search someone better and younger to do it, before torturing my own brain and meeting the same fate as John von Neumann, who do-or-died trying, futilely and pointlessly, to use computer to simulate the human brain.

Another unexpected feature of CI is the possibility that says humanity might be able to say goodbye to the discipline of mathematics. This suspicion arises from the observation that only two computational method are needed in CI. They are brute-force iteration and random walk Monte Carlo method.

Maybe what this is saying is that computer is really the mainstream of humanity’s destiny, not mathematics with its tools of pen and paper.

The dilemma we might be facing here is:

Do we want to upgrade ourselves from a human being to a computer being?

By Dr.XX
yew21

Return to The Wizards Lair