The importance of backups

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

The importance of backups

Postby jiml8 » Jan 11th, '19, 06:16

I have a junk drawer in my /home directory. It is called RPMS (for ancient reasons that I don't recall).
It contains lots of junk. Code fragments, old packages, odds and ends, Nvidia driver packages, a unix Galaga game that I amused myself porting a long time ago...just odds and ends that I sometimes find useful...general cyber-clutter.
So, a couple of days ago, it vanished.
I didn't do it. I have no idea what happened. The directory was still there, and some of the sub-directories. But all files were gone and the sub-directories that I looked in also had no files.
My /home is hosted on an SSD, and this makes me think the SSD did something strange. Dunno.
Well, it's just a junk drawer...do I care that much? I thought about it...but I do often enough root around in the junk drawer looking for something or other, so I decided that maybe I should put it back.
I looked in the backups, and discovered it had been gone for 3 days before I discovered it. And, of course, I discovered it because I had gone into the junk drawer to root around for something. The backup copy from 4 days back had it.
So, I restored it. Took 30 seconds or so.
Now, the world would not have ended if I lost the contents of the junk drawer. But there are many other directories in /home where loss would be catastrophic.
Good thing I had a backup, huh?
So, do you - the person reading this - have everything backed up? If not, what are you going to do when one of your directories vanishes?
jiml8

Re: The importance of backups

Postby banjo » Jan 11th, '19, 20:00

Backed up on four different disk drives stashed in three different locations. Backups are done at least weekly. They have saved my backside more often than I could relate in this post.... failed drives, inadvertently deleted files, oopsies overwriting a good copy with a bad copy etc.

I wrote my own backup bash script so I could make it do what I want it to do, not what somebody else thought would be a good idea.

When I install a new Mageia, I do a clean install on new media and get all my stuff off the backup drive. The technique works great and keeps my backups complete and honest.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Return to The Wizards Lair