What if OpenMandriva wanted to merge with Mageia?

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

What if OpenMandriva wanted to merge with Mageia?

Postby VoiceOfReason » Dec 30th, '16, 11:00

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas. :)

I've had this question brewing in my head for a while now, and finally made an account here to ask it: Considering how similar OpenMandriva and Mageia are in their goals and history (forks of Mandriva), how would you (the Mageia community) feel if the OpenMandriva project wanted to officially merge with Mageia?

In this hypothetical scenario, would you be alright if their wallpapers, icons, themes, etc, were integrated into Mageia as an optional thing during install? Would the OpenMandriva developers be welcomed by the Mageia team?

It just seems that at the moment, having OpenMandriva and Mageia as separate entities is an effort in duplication for no real benefit. If we can make good distros alone, just imagine what we could make if we combined forces!

I am eager to hear your opinions on this. ^.^
VoiceOfReason

Re: What if OpenMandriva wanted to merge with Mageia?

Postby rbrick49 » Dec 30th, '16, 19:07

I say go for it
Asus Zen AIO Pro all in one,mageia 6
rbrick49

Postby filip » Dec 31st, '16, 12:35

This is a legit and a reasonable wish. AFAIK there are already some packagers that package for both distros. But I guess if you want that all OpenMandriva developers join Mageia community you should ask them. If you're talking about the whole OpenMandriva project it's the same. Being also an elected council member I would probably vote for it. I can't write 100% yes as I didn't see the request and it's details yet. I can't say for other council members tough.

Anyone is welcomed in our community assuming that she/he follows our code of conduct. Of course packagers also have an apprentice "program". Similar is for other teams.
filip

Postby liaoliao » Jan 4th, '17, 20:03

good theorical question

but mageia is almost dead now

openmandriva survive better but a merge with mageia will slowdown it too much

loook at mageia 6 delay and think yourself: you want same delay for openmandriva?
liaoliao

Postby filip » Jan 6th, '17, 13:59

liaoliao wrote:but mageia is almost dead now

loook at mageia 6 delay and think yourself: you want same delay for openmandriva?

Are you sure that you know the Mageia community?
filip

Postby xboxboy » Jan 7th, '17, 00:22

liaoliao wrote:good theorical question

but mageia is almost dead now

Dead??? Far from. Updates are still pouring through, almost daily.

The mailing lists are buzzing: https://ml.mageia.org/l/lists

And there is plenty of development going on: https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/dev/2017-01/thrd1.html Yes, 10 pages of topics on the dev mailing list this month, it's only the 7th of January!!!!!

So no, it's not dead. That's an insult to the hard working guys and girls who work for FREE on building mageia.

Yes, Mageia 6 is running late, but there's several reasons, some unpredictable (personal health, family concerns for key people) and some huge technical bumps with new major versions of software. Mageia 6 is going to be a huge step forward, in terms of software and system structure. If it's as stable as Mageia 4 and 5 have been, I'm more than ready to keep updating 5 until 6 is ready.
xboxboy

Postby alf » Jan 7th, '17, 01:04

OpenMandriva more vivid than Mageia? Have a look at their releases, their forums.
If anything is in lethargy, it's OMA :(

Besides that, no one in OMA is interested in a merger or join.

jm2c
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby Bequimao » Jan 7th, '17, 11:11

@ liaoliao,

You see Mageia is extremely user friendly. It is even friendly to help vampires and trolls :D

Bequimão
Bequimao

Return to The Wizards Lair