My Story of Mageia.

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

My Story of Mageia.

Postby piratedpirate » Apr 17th, '16, 02:38

As a prodigal Linux Noob, I left Mageia to find greener distros. Before Mageia I tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and openSUSE. After using Mageia for a month I wanted to bleed and tried the Arch-based Antergos and Manjaro. I dabbled with Solus, Apricity, and Peppermint OS to resolve an uneasiness in using the various Linux distros. Each of these distros were wonderful, but none were perfect.

Then slowly I realized I wanted some stability. My previous OS died using LightDM, and I wanted a solid system. I did not want to consistently Google my fix. I came back to Mageia to find stability and reliability. After doing a network install, I was mildly surprised to find a 4.1.xx kernel. Mageia with the Gnome DE is awesome. The software center works well and is maintained. I can download the Chrome Browser or Vivaldi Browser directly to my computer. Mageia is perfect.

What's your story of Mageia?
piratedpirate

Re: My Story of Mageia.

Postby benmc » Apr 18th, '16, 10:09

My Mageia story started well before Mageia.
Back in the days of Mandrake circa 2000.
At the time BIOS didn't support 2 Gig or larger HDD, so an overlay was required.
You needed to be careful when setting the grub location.
I learnt some-things about partitioning and dual booting with Win95.
When Mandriva replaced Mandrake I stayed.
I installed various other flavours of 'Linux as secondary systems, however, for me, the ease-of-use and stability just was not there.
A few years later and Mageia arrived.
I have been here ever since, but still browse the other 'Linux flavours to see if they come close to Mageia, but for me, they are still wanting in various ways.
benmc

Re: My Story of Mageia.

Postby piratedpirate » Apr 19th, '16, 04:49

Darn that is a long time.
Twenty plus years?
piratedpirate

Return to The Wizards Lair