Linux is just too hard

Here wizards, magicians, sorcerers and everybody can rest a bit and talk about anything they like.

Just remember to respect the rules.

Linux is just too hard

Postby zerep55 » Apr 1st, '16, 21:56

I hate windows, but unfortunately it is next to impossible to get a straight simple answer to any issue on any platform. I like Mageia, but the icons and letters are too small, and I cant find a simple way to get them to a size I can see. Additiionally, the wifi does not work. It also does not work in ubuntu 14.04, 15.10, and 16.04, nor in Solus, nor in Solydk. I have spent a month going through websites to no avail. I love Linux when it works, but if it does not, and you are not a techie, there is no way you can get it. Now understand I spent a month. Most people wont do that. Linux could beat windows tomorrow, by making answers simple enough that a 3rd grader can get it. Otherwise it will become smaller and smaller and Windows will win. Do you realize that 90% of the people dont even know what Linux is? I have to now delete Mageia as I have had to do with all the other Linux distros.
zerep55

Re: Linux is just too hard

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 2nd, '16, 01:48

What do you want to tell us with your post?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Apr 2nd, '16, 04:29

He wants to tell us that he is unable to grasp technology, and it is our fault.

He is probably a modern american college student, and now the word "linux" will be a "trigger word" for him, spawning feelings of fear and inadequacy, and intruding into his "safe space".
jiml8

Postby fixxer » Apr 2nd, '16, 09:33

Additiionally, the wifi does not work.

Let's try to solve this ... set a new thread in proper board:
viewforum.php?f=25 .
fixxer

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 2nd, '16, 13:12

jiml8 wrote:He wants to tell us that he is unable to grasp technology, and it is our fault.

He is probably a modern american college student, and now the word "linux" will be a "trigger word" for him, spawning feelings of fear and inadequacy, and intruding into his "safe space".

Sure I got that, but why post that? If you hate all linux distros after wasting a month to get them running, and if you hate windows in the first place, what else will stay?

Think differently ... :lol:

I'd probably would have asked in some forum at the beginning of the month, to try to get my questions answered, but nevermind.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Apr 2nd, '16, 14:05

Why post that? Because he is whining and crying, and it is all our fault.

And my last post - and this one - are intended to show the, deepest of contempt for the attitude.
jiml8

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referri

Postby n00biest » Apr 2nd, '16, 15:37

zerep55: "I hate windows", "I love Linux ", "I like Mageia, but"

doktor5000: "If you hate all linux distros"

OK.
Attachments
162840732317.jpg
162840732317.jpg (164.01 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
n00biest

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 2nd, '16, 15:51

Yeah, if he loves linux and likes Mageia, why delete all those distros ?
----
doktor5000

Postby Lebarhon » Apr 2nd, '16, 18:07

April fool :lol:
Lebarhon

Postby curtvaughan » Apr 21st, '16, 22:45

As soon as I saw the date of the OP, I figured such nonsensical flame bait had to be an April Fool ;)
curtvaughan

Postby plspls » Aug 16th, '16, 13:59

I don't think linux is too hard

it works well

except plasma which is not working now but maybe later it will work if developers fix it

but linux is not hard

it just take some efforts to learn but once you learn to use it it works pretty well

no virus and very stable no blue screen etc ...
plspls

Postby liaosing » Dec 12th, '16, 08:52

This should be the basic way to design an Operating System

General

An OS takes care for all input and output in a computer system. It manages users, processes, memory management, printing, telecommunication, networking etc.

It sends data to a disk, the printer, the screen and other peripherals connected to the computer

And because every machine is build different, commands for in or output will have to be treated differently too. In almost all cases an Operating System is not one large big behemoth but consists of many small system programs governed by the core or kernel of the OS. Because of the compactness of these small supporting programs it is easier to rewrite parts or packages of the OS than to redesign an entire program.

In general programmers only have to make a "call" to the system to make things happen

This not only makes their live less miserable but the production time becomes shorter. As well as that programs can run on different types of machines with the same family of CPU's without changing anything in the program. This is what makes a standard Operating System so important.

In fact any form of standardization is important for production and compatibility

Operating System Design Principles

Operating system design is a complex task. One of the driving forces behind software engineering was the complexity of OS design. (See, for example, The Mythical Man Month by Frederick Brooks).

System design goals:

User interface: should the interface be easy to learn by a novice user, or should it be designed for the convenience of an experienced user? (multiple user interfaces?)

Efficient system resource management. Unfortunately, the more complete the resource management, the more overhead.

Security. Once again, the more secure a system is the less efficient it is.

Flexibility. Most operating systems come preconfigured for many different devices. Part of the process of setting up a particular machine is to construct a version of the operating system that is tuned for the local installation. This tuning often involves setting certain limits, such as the maximum number of processes. It also involves specifying the attached hardware so that only the necessary drivers will be loaded. Some operating systems can load and unload drivers automatically at run-time.

Portability. Will the operating system be portable to widely varying types of hardware, or just different models of a particular class of hardware?

Backwards compatibility and emulation. Is it important that software that ran under previous operating system versions or under different operating systems be supported?

Layered design:

Operating system consists of multiple layers. Each layer depends on the on the layer(s) beneath it.

http://www.thocp.net/software/operating ... ystems.htm
liaosing

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '16, 18:24

As you know how this all works, feel free to design your own OS that satisfies your requirements. But please don't bother everyone else in this forum with this nonsense.
----
doktor5000

Postby liaosing » Dec 13th, '16, 02:36

You Linux smarties seem to take the freedom fighter mentality like Dr.Richard Stallman. He don't care about $$$$$ and more for the FAME. Because he got no $$$$ he has been bumming around in Silicon Valley, with a bowl in hand. :)
Dr.Richard Stallman agreed with my internet forum fren but he is not doing anything about it because he don't admit he don't have $$$$$ to get it done. See Stallman posting below. My internet forum fren fwd to me.

\\\ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. \\\

Each time you say "Linux", you're referring to the GNU system
(my work) and giving the credit to someone else.
Would you please stop doing that? Please call the system "GNU/Linux".

See http://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
http://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
http://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

GNU is the work of thousands of GNU Project contributors including me. You can't make it decent to credit our work to Torvalds just by saying you
don't care.

If that someday works (modified superLinux), it might be a useful technique.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
liaosing

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 13th, '16, 13:09

You seem to be totally confused. Mageia.Org is a nonprofit organisation, how could we care about $$$$$ ?
----
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Dec 13th, '16, 17:21

Please don't feed the troll.
jiml8

Postby liaosing » Dec 15th, '16, 10:53

We know you are delusioned like Richard Stallman and don't care about $$$. We are also working towards the same goal like you. However before we can achieve that we need to get our freedom. Freedom from being chained by Microsoft and Google with their spying program. You seem to enjoy being a slave to the big guns.
liaosing

Return to The Wizards Lair