How-to: Gobi4000 (and probably 5000) gps on mga4/5

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

How-to: Gobi4000 (and probably 5000) gps on mga4/5

Postby waferhead » May 11th, '15, 00:43

Picked up a used $40 Sierra gobi4000 recently, oddly mostly for the GPS (with the potential for 4G WWAN)
Installed in my old Lenovo X200T no issues.

note: MGa4 and MGA5 picked up the WWAN, but unless you are configuring it immediately and want to go online, make sure to uncheck "enable at boot" or it will spam your syslog with endless attempts to get an IP address all by itself about twice a second.

If in the US and want to use a second tier (cheap) 4g service, get the ATT version or a Gobi 5000 (worldwide/all carrier/all bands, firmware varies by carrier, but reloadable)
I made the misteak of getting a mc7750 and its Verizon only due to the single 700MHz 4G band, and Verizons data plan rates are insane [*edit---looked at wrong plans, see next post] compared to ~anyone else. (I really only needed the internal GPS on a pcie-minicard anyway)

Now, the drivers (baked into MGA4/5) automagically set up 3 USB serial ports, the GPS uses /dev/ttyUSB1.

The issue I was having was that once fully booted, /dev/ttyUSB1 was totally unresponsive.

I could boot into runlevel1 and talk to it in minicom if desired, bring it up, initialize and attach gpsd, then continue to boot and it would work sometimes--- seems to be some sort of timing or other conflict, didn't matter if radio switch was on or not.

In any case, initialize/loading gpsd early, then KILLING gpsd and stop/start>reload gps and gpsd from rc.local seem to work consistently.

Ended up adding two trivial scripts to load reliably: Tried numerous setups, this worked for me, YMMV.
(destination file name is in script, must be made executable by root)

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/rc.d/rcd.5/S05gobigps-start
# Description:Initialize and grab gobi 4000 gps early in runlevel 5

#    $Id$   
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions #probably not needed
stty raw -F /dev/ttyUSB1; echo \$GPS_STOP >/dev/ttyUSB1
stty raw -F /dev/ttyUSB1; echo \$GPS_START >/dev/ttyUSB1
gpsd -b -n /dev/ttyUSB1

and

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#/etc/rc.d/rc.local

# Description: stop/start the gobi4000 gps and fire off gpsd together.
# Starting randomly gives random lockups of nmea output.
# if it locks, works fine after power cycle
#\#     $Id$   
killall -9 gpsd
stty raw -F /dev/ttyUSB1; echo \$GPS_STOP >/dev/ttyUSB1
stty raw -F /dev/ttyUSB1; echo \$GPS_START >/dev/ttyUSB1
sleep 1
gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB1

#set up bt serial /dev/rfcomm0
rfcomm bind 0 00:18:DB:00:C4:B1 1
Last edited by waferhead on May 11th, '15, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.
waferhead

Re: How-to: Gobi4000 (and probably 5000) gps on mga4/5

Postby waferhead » May 11th, '15, 09:28

I have to retract my earler comment about Verizons LTE data plans, they offer BYOD plans that are reasonably priced, 5GB/mo @$30 pay as you go with no overages. (but only 64kb/s after 5gb)

May have to try it out.
waferhead

Return to The magician suggests...