[SOLVED] basket - issues with multiple password dialogs

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLVED] basket - issues with multiple password dialogs

Postby vatbier » Jul 15th, '14, 23:17

FIRST: why can't the subject of a topic in this forum be longer? It's too short to put my full description in it.
So my real subject: [SOLVED]: Basket Note Pads in Mag4: locked baskets suffer from multiple repeats of password dialogs:

SECOND: is there something better than Basket Note Pads on Linux? Because its development has stopped in 2010 and it's full of bugs (but for my simple usage it works rather ok).
NoteCase Pro (not free,no lockfunctionality for individual notes?)?
Zim (development stopped)?
MyNotex (haven't installed it yet, can it dock in kde's system tray?)?
KeepNote (stopped in 2012?)?
I googled some more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... g_software :
Evernote (Linux clone NixNote2 beta: meh, still lots of work needed)
Intellinote (no Linux, web-based)
googled more:
Task Coach (python, categories, tasks, notes, efforts, timeline. No, description of notes can only be a few lines visible and only text, no pictures, no locking)
https://keep.google.com/keep/ (in google chrome web browser, very simple but synchronized)

For me the most used/useful function of Basket Note Pads is to be able to lock a basket with a password/passphrase (where I can put personal items, secrets, some login credentials, etc.).
After upgrading my Mageia 3 to Mageia 4 I could not open in Basket Note Pads a locked basket (luckily before upgrading I had exported its contents after having similar problems from Mag2 to Mag3) and I also could not remove that locked basket. Then I found the solution to remove it in the source code (I had to remove the hidden file /home/vatbier/kde4/share/apps/basket/baskets/basket20/.basket).
But then I noticed that in Mageia 4 entering the password/passphrase and confirming it has to happen for every file that's in the directory of the basket:so for each notexx.html, .basket and the eventual .basket~ (left behind from editing .basket with vi).
Also when unlocking an encrypted basket the passphrase was also asked for all files of the directory of the basket.
The source of Basket Note Pads hadn't changed since Mageia 3 and the dialog to enter the passphrase is called pinentry-qt4 (in Mageia 3 I remembered that dialog was something else).
I noticed that every time when I clicked on a note of an encrypted basket that I had to re-enter the passphrase for all files of the directory of the basket.
And if I then clicked on another basket then again I had to enter passphrase for all files of the encrypted basket so I guessed that everytime you touch or leave an encrypted basket everything of it gets re-saved.

STORY HOW I FOUND A WORKAROUND (not that interesting) - SEE BELOW FOR SOLUTION:
I downloaded basket-1.81-5.mga4.src.rpm and extracted it with mc.
With vi(m) I looked/stumbled through the source files (most of it I can not understand):
I went from bnpview.cpp at BNPView::password() to
password.cpp at PasswordDlg::type() to
PasswordEncryption in basketview.cpp at BasketView::setProtection
from where I went to BasketView::saveAgain() where I found "Re-encrypt basket file" and "Re-encrypt every note files recursively"
which led to BasketView::save() where a QDomDocument with basket and notes gets written to disk
which led to BasketView::saveToFile
where I saw
m_gpg->setText(i18n("Please assign a password to the basket <b>%1</b>:", basketName()), true); // Used when defining a new password
success = m_gpg->encrypt(array, length, &tmp, key)

(but that "Please assign a password..." you don't see in the pinentry-qt4 dialog)
and from there I found
m_gpg = new KGpgMe();
which led to kgpgme.cpp at KGpgMe::encrypt where I saw several "gpgme" commando's like gpgme_op_encrypt

Then searching in rpmdrake for "gpgme" I found two installed packages:
libgpgme++2
libgpgme11
I then downloaded the Mageia 3 versions for these packages
When trying "urpme libgpgme++2" I saw in the warning list of dependable packages also dependency libqgpgme.so.1 so I also downloaded the Mageia 3 version for libqgpgme1.
Then i uninstalled one of them and installed the Mag3 version:
rpm -e --nodeps libgpgme++2
urpmi libgpgme++2-4.10.2-4.mga3.i586.rpm
Basket Note Pads still had multiple passphrase bug
so I re-installed the Mag4 version again with:
rpm -e --nodeps libgpgme++2
urpmi libgpgme++2

Then I tried to uninstall another:
urpme libqgpgme1 (to look at the dependencies)
rpm -e --nodeps libqgpgme1
urpmi libqgpgme1-4.10.2-4.mga3.i586.rpm
Also here in Basket Note Pads still the bug so again I undid what I did with:
rpm -e --nodeps libqgpgme1
urpmi libqgpgme1

Then I tried the last one: HERE IS THE SOLUTION:
Code: Select all
urpme libgpgme11 : type No (just to see the dependencies)
this one has 41 dependencies: akregator, basket, kaddressbook, kalarm, kdepim4, kjots, kleopatra, kmail, knode, knotes, kontact, korganizer, ktimetracker, seahorse, ...
rpm -e --nodeps libgpgme11
urpmi libgpgme11-1.3.2-2.mga3.i586.rpm : download it from a Mageia 3 mirror.

AND SUCCESS:
Basket Note Pads now shows a different dialog to add a password to a basket called "Please enter a password" with "Please assign a password to the basket ttt"
and it doesnt ask to re-enter again as a confirmation and it only ask it once for the whole basket!
And at unlocking the basket also only once the password is asked!
Since Mageia 3 I do not longer use kmail but use the webmail of my ISP. But what other programs might break now that I'm using an older version of libgpgme11 ?
And every time there are updates I have to unselect libgpgme11-1.4.3-2.mga4 or it would install over the mga3 version.
So the newer version of libgpgme11 of Mag4 (together with its use of pinentry-qt4) breaks usage of encrypted baskets.

I've made a bug report at bugs.kde.org https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=337481 (I created this bug report as I cannot re-open bug 155079).
I'll also create a bug report at the site of libgpgme11.
I'll also make a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org/.
Last edited by vatbier on Jul 21st, '14, 21:22, edited 6 times in total.
vatbier

Re: [SOLVED]: Basket Note Pads: locked baskets multiple dial

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 16th, '14, 19:30

Do you really expect somebody to read through that mass of text, without any markup at all?

Please next time use code tags as explained in ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandriva/m ... e_tags.ogv
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] basket - issues with multiple password dialogs

Postby vatbier » Jul 21st, '14, 21:26

doktor,
my apologies.
I'm really bad at composing a readable text. From colleagues I hear the same thing.
I was already tired when putting my blob of text here and on the other sites.
I have now improved it a bit.
vatbier

Re: [SOLVED] basket - issues with multiple password dialogs

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 21st, '14, 21:39

For completeness's sake and also to allow others to follow up on a bug report, please next time post the link to it here in the thread, thanks.
This seems to be it: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13749
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to The magician suggests...