Avrdude-6.0.1: problem supporting jtagice3 programmers

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

Avrdude-6.0.1: problem supporting jtagice3 programmers

Postby juergen_harms » Jun 16th, '14, 21:42

Avrdude-6.0.1 has support for the new jtagice3 programmer for Atmel microprocessors - but only if you do not upgrade the firmware of your programmer: after an upgrade (running AtmelStudio 6.1 or 6.2 under windows), your jtagice3 becomes unusable with avrdude (avrdude will not recognise the usb interface of the jtagice3 any more). A new release of avrdude (avrdude-6.1) fixes this problem, but will only become available in Mageia 5.

So: if you want to upgrade the firmware of your jtagice3, you better wait until Mageia 5 is out. In case you need avrdude-6.1 already now, you should file a bug in order to get avrdude-6.1 as a bug-fix for avrdude-6.0.1.
juergen_harms

Re: Avrdude-6.0.1: problem supporting jtagice3 programmers

Postby jiml8 » Jun 17th, '14, 07:33

Why not get the source and compile it?

I personally duck that problem (and retain environmental compatibility with my associates) by just working from a Windows 7 VM that is hosted on my Mageia system.
jiml8

Re: Avrdude-6.0.1: problem supporting jtagice3 programmers

Postby juergen_harms » Jun 17th, '14, 11:23

jiml8 wrote:Why not get the source and compile it?

That would be another good workaround - but it does not work, the 6.1 tarball has a bug. To make the tarball compile on Mageia, a patch needs to fetched and applied ( http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?42517 ) - worked nicely when preparing avrdude-6.1 for Cauldron.

I did this post mainly to help avoiding loss of time when a jtagice3 all at sudden does not work any more withavrdude (and to find out whether a fix is urgently needed already in Mageia 4).
juergen_harms

Return to The magician suggests...