[SOLVED] Laptop volume control not working?

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLVED] Laptop volume control not working?

Postby Orestesss » Aug 3rd, '13, 06:59

I did not see this on the forum yet, but if the question has been asked and resolved, please feel free to point me to the answer :-).

Yesterday I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to Mageia 3, though I am still not really an in-depth Linux user. I switched mainly because Ubuntu never got my video 100% right, and I notice that Mageia seems to do this well and is faster too, which of course I like :-).

However, I notice now that the volume control on my laptop (a Sony Vaio) no longer works. When I press function+F3 or F4, Mageia shows the volume bar going up or down, but does not actually change the volume, not even when I mute things. Using software to adjust the volume (for example Youtube volume controls) does the trick, but I'd like my hardware to work also, of course. Would anyone have a tip for this?

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by Orestesss on Aug 6th, '13, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Orestesss

Re: Laptop volume control not working?

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 3rd, '13, 11:00

Which desktop environment are you using?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Orestesss » Aug 3rd, '13, 14:21

I am using the KDE that came with the installation.
Orestesss

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 3rd, '13, 18:58

Right-click on the mixer in the systemtray -> choose main channel -> what is selected there and what is selectable?
What audio output are you using currently? built-in speakers?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Orestesss » Aug 4th, '13, 10:39

I am using the built-in speakers from my laptop as audio output. Clicking the mixer gives me the option to choose between "Turks/whistler HDMI audio (Radeon HD 6000 series) Digital Stereo (HDMI)" and "Built-in audio analog stereo".

The former was selected automatically, but selecting option 2 makes the volume control on my laptop work, though!
Orestesss

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 4th, '13, 11:25

That's what i've suspected. When digital outputs are available, those are mostly the preferred/default ones.

Open up systemsettings -> Multimedia -> Phonon and select preferred playback device to be the Built-in audio analog stereo.
If this survives a reboot, and the default output in mixer also stays, then you problem is solved.

In that case, please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
doktor5000

Postby Orestesss » Aug 6th, '13, 20:39

I consider this solved. Thanks for the quick help!
Orestesss

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop volume control not working?

Postby kirkkaf13 » Dec 31st, '13, 03:37

This was also an issue I was experiencing. Nice to see the answers are easy to find.
kirkkaf13

Return to The magician suggests...