[DEPRECATED] Netflix Player for Mageia!

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

Netflix, amazon etc.

Postby synthecin » Jun 15th, '13, 11:33

Could you please give me the instructions on how to install the necessary programs for Netflix? I've found messages referring to them, but not the directions themselves.

Thanks.

Also, Amazon streaming says I can't use chrome for its streaming, but firefox and opera don't work either.
help there would also be appreciated.

another thanks,

Nic
synthecin

Re: [SOLUTION] Netflix Player for Mageia!

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 15th, '13, 14:08

I've merged this in the relevant thread.

So you did try the instructions in the first post in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=29619#p29619
Anf for possible fonts problems have a look at viewtopic.php?p=31344#p31344

For Amazon please open a separate thread, that is a different issue.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marcpare » Jul 4th, '13, 15:30

Just as an additional tip for those people getting a "black screen" and just sound. There was a previous mention to switch to the free video drivers BUT I have found instead to get the best driver for your box/laptop and when you get to the black screen, click on the corner of you window icon to make your window "full screen" and then you will force the screen to redraw, then, click on the these same option to return the window to its previous size. NOTE THAT CLICKING ON THE MINIMIZE AND MAXIMIZE the window does not work.

Also, if you find that your movie is lagging, just stop the film for a minute or two to let it download a bit more of the movie, and then, make it play. I have it playing on a 32bit laptop with an AT Mobility XPress 200, it is slightly choppy, but it does work.

Cheers,

Marc
marcpare

Postby papoteur » Jul 12th, '13, 22:07

Hello,
I prepared a page on the wiki.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Netflix_Player
Can you review.
I did not understood if env= stuff is needed or not.
papoteur
papoteur

Postby macxi » Jul 22nd, '13, 14:37

Hi,
I tested these installation tips Netflix in Mageia 3, and translated into Portuguese in a topic in Forum Mageia Brazil (see here).

In short, I did so:

The installation tips Netflix on Mageia 3 are:

# 1 - download the file Netflixplayer.tar.gz (with 93,2 MB)
    # 2 - decompress the file Netflixplayer.tar.gz
    # 3 - Make sure that the package "zenity" and "wine" are installed, if not, install them, because they are the official repository:

Check if the following files are installed (for Mageia 64 bits):
        zenity-3.6.0-3.mga3.x86_64
        lib64kwineffects1-4.9.97-1.mga3
        wine32-1.5.21-1.mga3
        wine-gecko-1.8-1.mga3
        wine64-1.5.21-1.mga3
        wine64-gecko-1.8-1.mga3
        wine-mono-0.0.8-1.mga3

# 4 - Run the installation script as root with the command:
    Code: Select all
    chmod +x Netflixplayer.sh
    ./Netflixplayer.sh
    (it may take a few minutes)

# 5 - Run in terminal to open Netflix, as an ordinary user, with the command:
    Code: Select all
    Netflix.sh

If everything is ok, Netflix will install and will pop up a window on the desktop.

If netflix does not install, check the terminal if the error was this: env: /opt/Netflix/bin/wine: File or directory not found. To correct this error, as root, change the permission "denied" of the of the "Groups" and "Other" of the folder opt/netflix, to permission "You can see the content", and try to start again Netflix.

During the installation didn't create any link/shortcut of netflix in menu launcher, so it is recommended to create the link/shortcut on the desktop with the command Netflix.sh and icon opt/Netflix64/netflix.png
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 22nd, '13, 19:05

You may want to add that font installation, but AFAICT that's only relevant for european users ...
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby macxi » Jul 22nd, '13, 23:39

doktor5000 wrote:You may want to add that font installation, but AFAICT that's only relevant for european users ...

Yes, for me using Mageia in language pt_BR (Portuguese Brazil), it was not necessary.
macxi

Postby digigold » Jul 23rd, '13, 01:43

Added some sections and edited as needed. (See wiki edits for details) Wiki now covers my guide with updated changes. Thanks to papoteur for initiating wiki.
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
digigold

Postby papoteur » Jul 23rd, '13, 20:18

digigold wrote:Added some sections and edited as needed. (See wiki edits for details) Wiki now covers my guide with updated changes.

Fine ;)
papoteur

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '13, 21:06

digigold wrote:Added some sections and edited as needed. (See wiki edits for details) Wiki now covers my guide with updated changes. Thanks to papoteur for initiating wiki.

Do you putting it at the top of your initial post, and keeping it as the one source which is kept up-to-date, and discussions/troublehooting here in the thread?
----
doktor5000

Postby otto » Jul 29th, '13, 00:44

:D
we made a tutorial about netflix on Mageia writen by macxi at Mageia do Brasil Wiki at http://www.mageiadobrasil.com.br/wiki/d ... lix_player
It works fine!
:arrow:
otto

Postby MadmanRB » Sep 8th, '13, 22:53

I cannot get this working, the install script does nothing it seems.
I tried to manually install netflix-desktop via some fedora rpms but still a no go as it halts at 99% and does nothing but give me an error.
Using Mageia 3 64bit here
MadmanRB

Postby otto » Sep 8th, '13, 23:02

MadmanRB wrote:I cannot get this working, the install script does nothing it seems.
I tried to manually install netflix-desktop via some fedora rpms but still a no go as it halts at 99% and does nothing but give me an error.

:?:
Hi MadmanRB! Have you followed all the steps with that tutorial ? there http://www.mageiadobrasil.com.br/wiki/d ... lix_player
otto

Postby MadmanRB » Sep 8th, '13, 23:17

otto wrote:
MadmanRB wrote:I cannot get this working, the install script does nothing it seems.

:?:
Hi MadmanRB! Have you followed all the steps with that tutorial ? there http://www.mageiadobrasil.com.br/wiki/d ... lix_player

Yes every detail, still a no go.
MadmanRB

Postby otto » Sep 8th, '13, 23:34

;) I got in touch with macxi to help you. Perhaps he can help you better than me. Because he is the tutorial 's writer and he has installed the netflix on Mageia sucessfully. As soon as possible he will show you how to solve it up.
Cheers.
8-)
otto

Postby macxi » Sep 9th, '13, 00:51

Otto,

The tips of the wiki, with automatic translation can be seen here: Netflix Player on Mageia or Mageia do Brasil Forum

But these tips are not mine, I just translate the tips of digigold, from tópic: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4158
Last edited by macxi on Sep 9th, '13, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby VoodooDali » Sep 9th, '13, 01:04

I just got Netflix working on my wife's laptop (she's a new Mageia convert, yay!), so I can vouch for the instructions in this topic. :D
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
AMD (ATi) Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby MadmanRB » Sep 9th, '13, 02:50

VoodooDali wrote:I just got Netflix working on my wife's laptop (she's a new Mageia convert, yay!), so I can vouch for the instructions in this topic. :D

Well maybe my issue is my video card, I have an older non supported ATI HD 4200 card and I know i cant get drivers for it.
MadmanRB

Postby VoodooDali » Sep 9th, '13, 17:15

MadmanRB wrote:Well maybe my issue is my video card, I have an older non supported ATI HD 4200 card and I know i cant get drivers for it.

The open-source drivers should still work well for you, though. Can you tell us a little more about the error you get?
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
AMD (ATi) Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '13, 20:54

otto wrote:;) I got in touch with macxi to help you. Perhaps he can help you better than me. Because he is the tutorial 's writer and he has installed the netflix on Mageia sucessfully.

Hi otto,

I'm sure you only want to help, but please keep in mind: This thread is about the problem, so if there are issues with the instructions,
they should be posted here, and also fixed here instead of some personal support which helps only one person.

Also the issue here was, that the poster didn't provide sufficient details what exactly wasn't working or which error he got.
"It doesn't work" is not really an exact description ;)
----
doktor5000

Postby otto » Sep 10th, '13, 02:51

doktor5000 wrote:
otto wrote:;) I got in touch with macxi to help you. Perhaps he can help you better than me. Because he is the tutorial 's writer and he has installed the netflix on Mageia sucessfully.

Hi otto,

I'm sure you only want to help, but please keep in mind: This thread is about the problem, so if there are issues with the instructions,
they should be posted here, and also fixed here instead of some personal support which helps only one person.

Also the issue here was, that the poster didn't provide sufficient details what exactly wasn't working or which error he got.
"It doesn't work" is not really an exact description ;)

:)
Thanks doktor5000. Surely. The poster should furnish more details to get the solution.
Cheers.
8-)
otto

Postby stv-t » Sep 27th, '13, 18:42

Hi,

I'm having a problem installing the font pack.
When I run it I get the following error:

stv_t zsh 843> env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.Netflix wine EUupdate.EXE
wine: '/home/stv_t/.Netflix' is a 32-bit installation, it cannot support 64-bit applications.

I am using 64-bit Mageia 3.

If I try to select the 32bit version of wine it automatically switches to 64 bit

Has anyone come across this problem and how did they manage to solve it

Stv T
stv-t

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 28th, '13, 01:47

----
doktor5000

Postby canadaist » Feb 13th, '14, 01:48

This solution no longer works for Mageia 4

It appears there have been changes in Microsoft's sil verl ight install that requires "Update automation" that cannot be enabled with script, or so it seems to me

And the file netflixplayer linked to across this thread is out of date, no file
I have a copy from Mageia 3 install, which did work.
but no longer installs

Also, Mageia 3 updated to Mageia 4 still has working Netflix, but comp needing install cannot install
canadaist

Netflix install seems borked

Postby canadaist » Feb 13th, '14, 01:50

Either changes to Mageia (low probability) or changes to MS sliverlite
wrote here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4158&p=44852#p44852

delete me if badly placed in forum
canadaist

PreviousNext

Return to The magician suggests...