[DEPRECATED] Netflix Player for Mageia!

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[DEPRECATED] Netflix Player for Mageia!

Postby digigold » Jan 3rd, '13, 21:05

edit doktor5000: Please check the following thread for a native solution, which works without any player and only required Chrome >= 37
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8267

----

I have got Netflix to play in Mageia! The problem with using Netflix on Linux has always been that it requires DRM. DRM is handled by Microsoft Silverlight. Linux has Moonlight which is as good in every way except in that it cannot handle DRM. You could try setting up WINE manually, but streaming silverlight video in WINE will drive one to smash their laptop over their head. WINE is still being used but the setup and installation of various dependencies and addons is now automated. I ran into a couple of issues but figured them out and now it runs smooth. At anyrate let me begin the instructions:

#1 - D/L Netflixplayer.tar.gz
#2 - Extract the large install script. (It is ~95MB)
#3 - Make sure Zenity is installed, if it is not, install it. (Available from Mageia Media)
#4 - Run the install script as root. (This will take a couple mins)
#5 - Run the launch script as a normal user. In KDE it puts it in the menu under Sounds and Video. This will also take a couple mins. Netflix Player should then come up resembling the following:

0103131.jpg
0103131.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 17687 times

````````````````````````````````Here is where I had a problem in Mageia. I could login and browse just fine; however, when I went to play a video I got an error. (error #1001 I think) After some digging I found that apparently the WINE pkg I installed from Mageia uses the European version of the Windows environment. You may think you can just install arial in WINE but it doesn't work, at least not for me. What did work was (#6) installing the European Union Expansion Font Update from Microsoft in WINE.``````````````````````````

After the update was applied, all Netflix videos played fine. *It is also worth noting that WINE should now be able to play any Instant Streaming Video that is DRM protected.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 1st, '15, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: marked deprecated, adjusted thread title
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
digigold

Re: [SOLUTION] Netflix Player for Mageia!

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 3rd, '13, 23:05

As this is a complete solution, moved it to the proper subforum. FWIW, why did you post that under Cauldron? You didn't even mention Mageia release in your post, so this should work maybe in Mageia 1, 2 and later, no?

Anyways, thanks for sharing :D
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby digigold » Jan 8th, '13, 07:11

doktor5000 wrote:As this is a complete solution, moved it to the proper subforum. FWIW, why did you post that under Cauldron? You didn't even mention Mageia release in your post, so this should work maybe in Mageia 1, 2 and later, no?

Anyways, thanks for sharing :D

Wasn't sure what forum to post it in, but I figured one of you guys would move it to the correct place.. I have only tested in Cauldron as it is all I run. If you look at the Konsole window in my screenshot you can see the output of the lsb_release -a. I wouldn't assume anything about MGA 1 or 2.

More important than your Mageia version I would think would be your wine version. I have the following wine pkgs installed:
    lib64kwineffects1-4.9.97-1.mga3
    wine32-1.5.21-1.mga3
    wine-gecko-1.8-1.mga3
    wine64-1.5.21-1.mga3
    wine64-gecko-1.8-1.mga3
    wine-mono-0.0.8-1.mga3

*NOTE - The install script will grab the correct versions of gecko and mono for you if they are not already installed.

Also, please feel free to include this in the wiki and/or any other documentation as I would consider playing Netflix movies an often desired feature of home desktop users.
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
digigold

Postby zooplah » Jan 11th, '13, 04:03

digigold wrote:You could try setting up WINE manually, but streaming silverlight video in WINE will drive one to smash their laptop over their head.

The problem I had when I installed Silverlight under Wine was that it caused Firefox to crash. IIRC, you didn't even have to go to a site that used Silverlight.
zooplah

Postby digigold » Jan 12th, '13, 00:37

zooplah wrote:
digigold wrote:You could try setting up WINE manually, but streaming silverlight video in WINE will drive one to smash their laptop over their head.

The problem I had when I installed Silverlight under Wine was that it caused Firefox to crash. IIRC, you didn't even have to go to a site that used Silverlight.

That's why I recommend using the suggested install script. It + the MS patch allow for easy Silverlight play.
digigold

Postby zooplah » Jan 23rd, '13, 13:49

digigold wrote:
zooplah wrote:

That's why I recommend using the suggested install script. It + the MS patch allow for easy Silverlight play.

I tried using the install script. I ran into the same problems. Maybe it does only work with Cauldron. (I tried to upgrade to Cauldron once, but it messed up my system, so I'm back in Mageia 2 now.) Also, I use the 32-bit version of Mageia.
zooplah

Postby digigold » Jan 25th, '13, 07:36

zooplah wrote:I tried using the install script. I ran into the same problems. Maybe it does only work with Cauldron. (I tried to upgrade to Cauldron once, but it messed up my system, so I'm back in Mageia 2 now.) Also, I use the 32-bit version of Mageia.

You don't want to run FF manually in wine use the installed script as your non-root user.
Code: Select all
$ ./usr/bin/Netflix.sh

I've attached the output for startup. If you still have issues can you look at your error log and post relevant info?
Attachments
NetflixShOut.log
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
digigold

Postby zooplah » Jan 29th, '13, 18:30

digigold wrote:I've attached the output for startup. If you still have issues can you look at your error log and post relevant info?

OK, I'll post my log.

Here's what I did:
1. Started up Netflix.sh
2. Logged in
3. Clicked on Arrested Development
Attachments
NetflixShOut.log
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
zooplah

Postby digigold » Jan 31st, '13, 22:02

looking at the following lines from your log:
fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read style_nameW for font L"Hard Gothic"!
fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read face_nameW for font L"Hard Gothic"!
fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Hard Gothic"!

It appears you have the common font issue I mentioned in my original post along with the solution:
digigold wrote:...the WINE pkg I installed from Mageia uses the European version of the Windows environment. You may think you can just install arial in WINE but it doesn't work, at least not for me. What did work was (#6) installing the European Union Expansion Font Update from Microsoft in WINE.

I'm pretty sure this will fix it for ya. Let me know how it goes.
digigold

Postby digigold » Feb 22nd, '13, 04:45

Thought I would add a quick clarification. Some people whom I've been helping through this are making the same mistake. The font update from MS must be installed in the proper wine context. The default wine context is ~/.wine but the update must be run with the ~./Netflix context. The best way to do this is to use the env command as follows from whatever directory contains EUupdate.exe:

$ env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.Netflix wine EUupdate.EXE

Let me know if anyone still has issues.
digigold

Postby VoodooDali » Mar 24th, '13, 20:43

Oooooo we're SO CLOSE! :!:

Followed the preceding directions to the letter -- Netflix is playing with perfect audio, but no video (just a black screen). Any ideas?

Could it have anything to do with the older version of Silverlight that the Netflix player uses? I notice there is a version 5 out...
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
AMD (ATi) Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby VoodooDali » Mar 26th, '13, 17:19

VoodooDali wrote:Oooooo we're SO CLOSE! :!:

Followed the preceding directions to the letter -- Netflix is playing with perfect audio, but no video (just a black screen). Any ideas?

Could it have anything to do with the older version of Silverlight that the Netflix player uses? I notice there is a version 5 out...

I figured it out! :D It was my video driver!

I was using the latest (non-free) driver for my ATi Radeon-series (fglrx) video card. So I tried reverting to the free driver, rebooted, and Netflix is working beautifully.

Oh, but my GPU is running hotter. Hm. :? Gonna have to decide if that's an acceptable trade-off.
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 01:24

I have been following this guide, my only problem is downloading the font update? Has microsoft stopped hosting it? The webpage just loads the header and stops.I even tried from my win 7 machine using ie no change. I even tried from my iphone same issue over LTE cellular network. If this is the case would it be possible for me to grab it from a FTP site or another member?
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 01:46

No, the font pack is still available. I just now went to the link and installed it to check. Maybe you could re-try? If it doesn't work, tell us everything you can about what happens. Good luck! :D
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 02:26

Ok got it had to call my buddy whose is a HTML God. Basically the footer on the ad was blocking the entire page had to use adblock to block it which in turned allowed me to see the download link.

I have it in my downloads now but when I used the env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.Netflix wine EUupdate.EXE I got the error

[root@localhost Downloads]# env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.Netflix wine EUupdate.EXE
env: wine: No such file or directory

I must be missing something I have the netflix installed I can open and browse but getting the 1001 error you mentioned
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 02:37

So you're saying that you are able to use Netflix now? Do you get the error every time?
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 03:06

I'm to the point I'm getting error on installing EU update. Prior to this I have always gotten 1001 Netflix error
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 03:14

Did you navigate to the folder that contains your EUupdate.EXE file, before running the command?
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 05:54

Yes I did but the EU update is currently in my Downloads folder. Im sorry for my limited experience with Wine I rarely used it in the past. From the error Im getting
env: wine: No such file or directory

Do I need to create a folder for wine? Or do I need to move the update to a different folder before proceeding?
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 14:31

That shouldn't be necessary. If you've installed wine, then you should already have a (hidden) directory called ".wine".

Can you verify that you have all these packages installed?
lib64kwineffects1
wine32
wine-gecko
wine64
wine64-gecko
wine-mono
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 15:49

Ok rechecked my install, when I did the netflix install I got a box pop up saying I didnt have those packages and it would install them. Well I just checked my Mageia control center and for some reason they were not installed. I installed them all via control center and was able to apply the update using the env command, but when ever I try Netflix I still get the 1001 error when trying to play anything
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 15:54

Try executing the EUupdate.EXE file without the env command. Just double-click the file in Dolphin file manager, and it will open using Wine.
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 16:01

I did that and it said it was successfull. Im launching Netflix from the sound and video category but no change is there a different way I should open it?,
lorenzo111

Postby VoodooDali » May 23rd, '13, 16:11

Okay, you got EUupdate.EXE to run successfully, so we know you don't have a corrupt download.

When you ran EUupdate.EXE using the env command, did you get the same "successful" message?
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby lorenzo111 » May 23rd, '13, 16:52

Yes it said successfull both times
lorenzo111

Next

Return to The magician suggests...